Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM

144 posts, read 494,016 times

Advertisements

Honestly? I don't want you to come to Mexico. I want it all for myself...... There is so much danger everywhere. I am a firefighter in east San Diego and there are streets you don't want to be on certain times of day. The Aryans will OWN you.....no bueno.
The shootings, stabbings, rapes, old people being victimized by their children waiting for paydays, the mentally ill on the streets due to Ronnie Reagan's state hospital funding cuts.....it goes on and on.
It comes down to situational awareness.....have some.
And, the caveat to all this is: Well, you can never account for the absolute random bad stuff that happens to good people.
But, if you want to live in a bubble, well, go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
It is as bad as they say, but only in certain areas. I would avoid Tijuana and Juarez (especially Juarez). But the tourist cities like Ensenada are fine. Mexico is going through a pretty deep recession right now (particularly in the north where Baja California is losing maquila left and right), so those tourist dollars are highly valued.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
The border areas are considered slimy and dangerous by most Mexicans (most of whom live far south), so I think you can see a cross border car ride or walk may not be a good idea, especially in cities where narco-wars are going on.
That being said, the vast, vast, vast majority of Mexico is safe, very enjoyable and full of nice people. DO visit and travel...just avoid the border areas that have been thoroughly corrupted by American dollars and American automatic weapons.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
DO visit and travel...just avoid the border areas that have been thoroughly corrupted by American dollars and American automatic weapons.
Just a reminder to novice travelers... dress down (use jeans and non-descript shirt, for example, rather than shorts and loud colors), leave your 'bling,' credit cards, and extra cash at home, and do your best to stay inconspicuous, especially around public transportation areas and tourist sites. No cameras, no tourist or hippie outfits, no guidebooks, no designer sunglasses, no VW-sized backpacks or purses, no fanny packs, no big crazy hats, no loitering, no leaving your stuff unattended, etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Just a reminder to novice travelers... dress down (use jeans and non-descript shirt, for example, rather than shorts and loud colors), leave your 'bling,' credit cards, and extra cash at home, and do your best to stay inconspicuous, especially around public transportation areas and tourist sites. No cameras, no tourist or hippie outfits, no guidebooks, no designer sunglasses, no VW-sized backpacks or purses, no fanny packs, no big crazy hats, no loitering, no leaving your stuff unattended, etc.
Still -- the typical innocent tourist isn't the target at all of the cartels and even most of the street gangs. Innocent tourists who are mindful of commonsense kinds of rules can still take pictures, act like tourists in the tourist areas and they'll be okay.

You never read of much happening to a stereotypical American tourist, they aren't being kidnapped, they aren't being killed, tortured or anything. Muggings and thefts go on of course like anywhere -- taking some precautions like not leaving jewelry in a hotel room were always smart.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM

469 posts, read 1,256,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You never read of much happening to a stereotypical American tourist, they aren't being kidnapped, they aren't being killed, tortured or anything. Muggings and thefts go on of course like anywhere -- taking some precautions like not leaving jewelry in a hotel room were always smart.
While one may not read much about petty crime in MX, I base my precautionary comments on three years' work experience in Mexican international travel hostels in Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende. Additionally, I was well-trained by the US government in petty crime avoidance in Central America. In my decade of living in Latin America, primarily Mexico, I have heard literally hundreds of petty crime accounts of every variety from international tourists, and nearly every one of them involved a lack of simple precaution by those same tourists. My advice is based on valuable experience. The best way to be safe in MX is to blend in – and NOT to call attention to yourself, especially around transportation hubs and tourist sites.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
While one may not read much about petty crime in MX, I base my precautionary comments on three years' work experience in Mexican international travel hostels in Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende. Additionally, I was well-trained by the US government in petty crime avoidance in Central America. In my decade of living in Latin America, primarily Mexico, I have heard literally hundreds of petty crime accounts of every variety from international tourists, and nearly every one of them involved a lack of simple precaution by those same tourists. My advice is based on valuable experience. The best way to be safe in MX is to blend in – and NOT to call attention to yourself, especially around transportation hubs and tourist sites.
Petty crime is just as bad or worse in most areas of the USA so of course it's about common sense. Many American tourists cannot blend in -- they'll stick out just because but most will not encounter any problems they wouldn't be just as likey to encounter in a resort town in the USA.

I once saw an obvious American tourist couple, older in age and they didn't blend in, didn't speak Spanish and carried around a guide book. They boarded a bus I was on, the man's wallet fell onto the floor of the bus as he was getting up to get off the bus.

One humble campesino type man quickly jumped up and grabbed the man's wallet and quickly got off the bus. I watched from the window as the man ran over to the couple to hand the couple the wallet - they obviously didn't know it had fallen. They tried to give the man some money which he adamantly refused and he reboarded the bus -- having to repay his boarding fee.

I think some people will stick out but the thing is how one behaves. If Americans are drunk and obnoxious, they'll make themselves easier targets and of course they will be if they forget rules about ATM's and being in areas of town they don't know late at night. You're also very likely to meet people in Mexico who will give you the shirt off their back especially if they see you're a tourist -- probably more so than in the USA.

Most of the locals will gladly give you good advice on areas to avoid and things you shouldn't do.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,269 times
I just got back from Mexico today. I had a wonderful time. I had NO problems. yes there are still alot of people trying to sell you stuff but I felt safe. Some of them were pushy but just ignore them. Mexico relies on tourism so heavily and it is very poor down there. But I still felt safe. Just watch your surroundings. Remember you are a foreigner visiting another nation so respect the culture and carry your passport with you and try to surround yourselves with others you know. Don't wander off to areas you are not familar with and don't get in a car with someone you don't know....It's just common sense. Whether it be Mexico or another bad part of your town, just use common sense and be respectful to the culture. You will be cool.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Well -- someone had to go and up the problem. Killing US citizens associated with the USA consulate in Juarez. That wasn't too good.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- someone had to go and up the problem. Killing US citizens associated with the USA consulate in Juarez. That wasn't too good.
Yes, just read that on Politico.com. It will be interesting to learn in what capacity they worked for the consulate. Perhaps they were working in some anti-drug-related kind of endeavor.
No, it says this was a "drive-by shooting"!
(Guess I'm just a skeptic and read too many CIA type mysteries)

Unfortunately, this will just add more fuel to the anti-Mexico fire! But also - maybe now, there'll be a more cooperative effort between the US and Mexico to stop this menace to Juarez society and restore peace to this border town.
(My grandson and daughter-in-law are there and I worry about them all the time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico