Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM

69 posts, read 239,308 times

Advertisements

Where would you live if you had to choose between Monterrey, San Antonio, or Mcallen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
McAllen? Is that a joke? This question is like asking someone which California city they want to live in, LA, San Francisco or Bakersfield? In case you haven't been, lets just say most Texas towns on the Mexican border aren't really places you'd want to relocate to unless you were coming from Mexico.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
There is no comparison, they are different cities in different countries with different cultures.

Would be in seeing what your needs are.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
You'll have the best lifestyle in San Antonio. Monterrey is great, but I'm almost sure crime is higher in areas of that city. Police are corrupt. McAllen is totally different compared to the other two since it's so much smaller.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
I have lived in all three places. Currently in San Antonio and like it.

Monterrey is a very large city, busy, smoggy and lots of crime, also way more expensive that San Antonio or McAllen. Actually have relatives in Monterrey and get weekly updates from people that actually live there.

McAllen is about 8 miles from the border town of Reynosa, so don't believe the border town rhetoric some have posted here. McAllen has beautiful homes and very reasonably priced. Property taxes are very high to pay for medical and schools for illegals that come across the border for both services. Nice Mall and an airport. A recent study rated McAllen better than Austin to live, but I would have to differ.

San Antonio seems to have the best of all worlds. Mexico is accessible, home prices are reasonable, very little negative economic impact here. Only negatives are a little humid in the summer and property taxes are high, however, no state income tax, but very friendly people.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
McAllen? Is that a joke? This question is like asking someone which California city they want to live in, LA, San Francisco or Bakersfield? In case you haven't been, lets just say most Texas towns on the Mexican border aren't really places you'd want to relocate to unless you were coming from Mexico.
You obviously have never visited and for sure have never lived in McAllen. Shouldn't be so judgmental unless you really know the place.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
I have been to McAllen and Laredo and would never want to live in either. Sorry they just don't compare to the other two cities mentioned, that was more my point in what was asked. I am sure they could be nice for someone who moved from a small town in North Dakota or Iowa, but come on most people in San Antonio would feel like they were sent to prison down there.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
McAllen?! LOL! No way... can't even compare. The only way I'd ever want to live in McAllen is if I want to be away from all the conveniences of a big metro area and still have to put up with big city problems coupled with border city problems. (8 miles from the border still kind of makes u a border city) A fairer comparison would be El Paso and San Antonio, but even then San Antonio would prevail.

Between San Antonio and Monterrey.,. If I could find a good paying job I would live in Monterrey. It's a major national city in Mexico, it's well-connected via air to world class cities (i.e. New York, Toronto, etc), and close enough to the U.S. to be convenient.

Reality is, however, that I'd be better off in San Antonio since I could probably find a decent paying job that'd let me live a better life there.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
I would pick San Antonio SA has alot of direct flights to Mexico

Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
Crimes are the same all over.. I am born and raised in San Antonio but I have family in Monterrey and I love it. I also love McAllen any of those places would be fine for me... Just cause McAllen is a border town it is very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico