Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times

Advertisements

Chapala Assistant Director of Public Security Jose Guadalupe Gollaz Mejia was assassinated, 5-5-10

https://www.guadalajarareporter.com/...wn-center.html

The Informador is in Spanish, and frankly Google did a poor job in translation. Could some please para phrase what was not in the Guad Reporter. Thanks in advance- SHH

Ejecutan a subdirector de la PolicÃ*a Municipal de Chapala :: El Informador

Well, the violence has certainly reached the Sunny Shores of Paradise in Ajijic/Chapala area.

So sad, so very sad. I still have a home on the South Side of the lake in San Pedro Tesistan near Jocotepec Jalisco.

While I am thinking about it here another updated travel warning:

Quote:
1. The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens traveling to and living in Mexico about the security situation in Mexico, and to advise that the authorized departure of family members of U.S. government personnel from U.S. Consulates in the northern Mexico border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros has been extended. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning for Mexico dated April 12, 2010 to note the extension of authorized departure and to update guidance on security conditions and crime.
For further details refer to the link: Lake Chapala and Mexico - Ex-Pats Board • View topic - TRAVEL WARNING: MEXICO

Read the bottom portion as it pertains to many who travel outside of The Ajijic/Chapala area.

I myself have put off travel plans for now and frankly don't know how long it will be before I feel safe to return.

SHH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
This crime occured in Feb. of this year. Armed assault, These crimes were against women.

Also, a year or so ago another woman was jogging and had a would be rapist attack her. She fought him off.

Mexican Trailrunner: February 2010

LAKE SIDE CRIME WATCH

Lake Chapala Ajijic Lakeside Crime Watch

I myself was a victim of an assault. I was found behind the San Andreas Church in Ajijic. Severly beaten w/ 2 hematomo's on the brain bruised ribs and a black eye.

You may be wondering why I am making this post. While there are many imformative forums about Mexico, one in particular is heavily moderated and entire threads are deleted and some posts are also deleted. Then some of these members are banned.

A certain Real Estate company in Ajijic is the major offender. There are many useful tips and first hand knowledge to be learned about the move and the how to's from the many forums available.

Just don't believe it is all sunshine and no heartache to be found. While most people have no problems, there are many who have had more than their fair share of hurt and grief and just plain aggravation w/ the ineffectiveness of the local Policia and their lack of caring and not being trained.(Speaking of Lakeside Area).

While many people experience no crime and are living out their dream, it is simply not true that The Lake Side Area is one of the safest areas to retire to. For some it is, for others is is NOT.

As I said, I do have a home but I shall not return til the dust settles. In fact I had my neighbor turn off the electricity and now pay my taxes thru the bank w/ transfers.

Hopefully someday I will be able to enjoy my newly re-modeled home and enjoy the Mexico I so fondly remember and all the good times and the wonderful people I met in my journey's through out Mexico.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
But to be fair, would you stay away from the USA because there have been police killed in the USA also? Or because women have been raped while jogging through a park? Even Central Park in the middle of New York City has it's fair share of rapists and think about Chandra Levy. She wasn't just raped but murdered.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
But continuing to be fair, I don't think anyone is basing their decision to avoid Mexico solely on one murdered cop or raped woman. It's the endless string of brazen murders, sometimes by the dozen at a time. Most of them remain unsolved.

Contrast to the U.S., when a cop is killed all the other cops swarm and the killer is usually killed or arrested quickly. The worst incident in the USA since 9/11 that I recall was the Seattle incident where a guy walked into the doughnut shop and killed 4 cops. The media ran 24 hour headline coverage and authorities pulled out all the stops and had him in custody within 48 hours. The same incident in Mexico would have probably gotten a one time article in the paper or mention on TV and remained unsolved.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,256,778 times
It's the trend which bothers me – the movement toward anarchy in once-peaceful and remote havens. The cartels know that to control Mexico completely they must continue to attack its core and diminish the value of the country.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
But continuing to be fair, I don't think anyone is basing their decision to avoid Mexico solely on one murdered cop or raped woman. It's the endless string of brazen murders, sometimes by the dozen at a time. Most of them remain unsolved.

Contrast to the U.S., when a cop is killed all the other cops swarm and the killer is usually killed or arrested quickly. The worst incident in the USA since 9/11 that I recall was the Seattle incident where a guy walked into the doughnut shop and killed 4 cops. The media ran 24 hour headline coverage and authorities pulled out all the stops and had him in custody within 48 hours. The same incident in Mexico would have probably gotten a one time article in the paper or mention on TV and remained unsolved.
I wonder though if this is violence that is from that town or violent types coming into the town. I know that Leon Guanajuato for example has had one incident and a policeman was killed but it was outsiders chasing other outsiders and the shooting took place in Leon, with Leon police having to get involved. People were of course terrified - but that one event doesn't make Leon like Michoacan or Juarez.

We've had spillover violence where I live and no is at all afraid. Some spillover will be in US towns, some spillover will be in Mexican towns.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM

But also - there was a time when US newspapers didn't report at all if some town in Mexico had a murder, even of a cop. Now every incident is going to be in the newspapers but some level of violence takes place even in small hamlets.

I believe a lot of violence that takes place both in Mexico and small town USA today has a lot to do with some of the crazier kinds of drugs out there now - drugs like meth that keep the user awake for days until they freak out and crack cocaine and some of the dangerous drug mixtures including some of the prescribed drugs which whack people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico