Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM

136 posts, read 481,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|L View Post
I'm a full-time business student in Manhattan, New York. I've live here pretty much all my life, so city living is what I'm very much used to.

I've been considering a transfer to a new school in Miami in a new environment and start all over.

How do you think a New Yorker will fare in such a place?

Here, there's active night life, there are high class dining, casual dinning, coffee shop to relax, pretty much endless number of amenities. Paying $3,000 for an apartment doesn't phase me, paying $6.80 for a cup of coffee is quite the norm and dealing with not-so-friendly people is just an everyday affair.

So, what do you think?

ps- I'm an 18 yr old Asian who grew up with with an Asian/Spanish/Jewish family!
ML, I think you'll probably do well. Most ex-New Yorkers I've recently met really enjoy living in Miami. The intense summertime heat and humidity do take some getting used to, but aside from that, I haven't heard any complaints from New Yorkers I've met. One woman I recently met moved here after more than 30 years in New York. She's been here permanently about 3 years now, and says she hasn't even wanted to return to visit even once. She does visit friends in The Hamptons, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
M|L M|L started this thread

20 posts, read 152,199 times
that's comforting to hear!

wish me luck applying to the new school.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 PM

647 posts, read 2,084,208 times
For a New Yorker, Miami will feel just like home....of course with milder winters.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
One of my co-workers is from New York. He bought a place downtown just off Brickell. His main requirement was it had to be a tall building with a view of the bay. Condo's sell for about $600,000 there and I saw an add for one for rent for $2850 a month. It sounds like a lot to us but the condos are big with high ceilings. Living downtown and going to UM should not be a problem because you'll be going against traffic. He says there are a decent number of places to eat that are within walking distance. However, Downtown Miami is dead after work hours and on weekends.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 53,373 times
ML I sent you a PM. You will need a car.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 48,483 times
Without redingany of the other responses, so forgive me if I am redundant, Miami Beach BLOWS THE ****ING DOORS OFF MIAMI.

As an ex native New Yorker (that means born and raised in the big apple for the floridiots) there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Miami city is one of the worst and most useless places on the face of the Earth (with the exceptions of Coconut Grove and Coral Gables plus the ultra rich areas south of the Gables) with tiny little pockets of civilization which you will SLOWLY come to love (like downtown and the design district...with certain caveats).

What the Beach has going for it is that the average New Yorker will feel right at home what with most of us being from there (often called the southernmost or 6th Borough) and the cosmopolitan feel and more extensive use of English all throughour.

Moderator cut: insults and crude language is not necessary to get your point across

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-05-2007 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannye View Post
Without redingany of the other responses, so forgive me if I am redundant, Miami Beach BLOWS THE ****ING DOORS OFF MIAMI.

As an ex native New Yorker (that means born and raised in the big apple for the floridiots) there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Miami city is one of the worst and most useless places on the face of the Earth (with the exceptions of Coconut Grove and Coral Gables plus the ultra rich areas south of the Gables) with tiny little pockets of civilization which you will SLOWLY come to love (like downtown and the design district...with certain caveats).

What the Beach has going for it is that the average New Yorker will feel right at home what with most of us being from there (often called the southernmost or 6th Borough) and the cosmopolitan feel and more extensive use of English all throughour.

Miami, besides being one of the stupidest and most superficial cities in the world (and if you are offended by this, take a look at your SAT scores one more time... don't have SAT scores? really sorry but you will stay offended)
is also fantastic in that it is fun to find the little oases of civilization like Tobacco Road, and other (I won't go into the others because you would be cheated of all the fun of finding them like if I told you about Snape) rare and wonderful places.
That's pretty much Miami-Dade County for ya!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannye View Post
up late? lol me too
Yep. You know the strange thing about Miami? It's suburbs are actually more progressive, diverse, and dynamic than its core (Broward and Palm Beach County, anyone?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami