Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM
M|L M|L started this thread

20 posts, read 152,211 times

Advertisements

I'm a full-time business student in Manhattan, New York. I've live here pretty much all my life, so city living is what I'm very much used to.

I've been considering a transfer to a new school in Miami in a new environment and start all over.

How do you think a New Yorker will fare in such a place?

Here, there's active night life, there are high class dining, casual dinning, coffee shop to relax, pretty much endless number of amenities. Paying $3,000 for an apartment doesn't phase me, paying $6.80 for a cup of coffee is quite the norm and dealing with not-so-friendly people is just an everyday affair.

So, what do you think?

ps- I'm an 18 yr old Asian who grew up with with an Asian/Spanish/Jewish family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times
if you are going to do Miami then go live on the beach if money is no option...Miami is considered the 6th borough by the way.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,926,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M|L View Post
I'm a full-time business student in Manhattan, New York. I've live here pretty much all my life, so city living is what I'm very much used to.

I've been considering a transfer to a new school in Miami in a new environment and start all over.

How do you think a New Yorker will fare in such a place?

Here, there's active night life, there are high class dining, casual dinning, coffee shop to relax, pretty much endless number of amenities. Paying $3,000 for an apartment doesn't phase me, paying $6.80 for a cup of coffee is quite the norm and dealing with not-so-friendly people is just an everyday affair.

So, what do you think?

ps- I'm an 18 yr old Asian who grew up with with an Asian/Spanish/Jewish family!
Forget about Miami, as it simply isn't the "urban" walkable environment you are looking for. It's really just a massive sprawl without many amenities or redeeming factors at all. HOWEVER...Miami Beach might be the place for you. It's culturally accepting, has a lot of the amenities you are looking for in the way of dining and nightlife, and is *Gasp* walkable! The crime kind of sucks, but just use common sense, pick a good block, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Basically, forget Miami, go Miami Beach!!!!

Well, actually, you could look into the Coral Gables or South Miami area, which is semi-walkable and pretty nice (not to mention a little safer than Miami Beach) but this really depends on where you are commuting to.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:06 PM

What should I expect to pay for an one or two bedroom apartment on/near the beach?

I'm not very familiar with the area and the divisions of the city, but I would assume the other locations are still within the vincinity of Miami?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Start at about 1100 a month for a craphole 1 bedroom, and the sky is the limit from there. Probably around 1400 will get you a decent 1 bedroom. Don't quote me on those prices though, I'm not positive.

As far as other locations within Miami, well...Miami is hardly a world class city, where pedestrians rule the street, except for in maybe Coconut Grove, which has some serious crime issues. To be harsh, but honest, Miami is a very sprawl-y and a bit run down of a city, without much in the way of effective mass transit. You may also encounter a bit of racism from the xenophobic Latins living in Miami. The attitude is just totally different from what you are used to in New York. You won't fare well as an ex New Yorker unless you locate in Miami Beach, which has more in the way of amenities, walkability, and cultural acceptance.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
if you are going to do Miami then go live on the beach if money is no option...Miami is considered the 6th borough by the way.
The borough has shifted to Palm Beach County really, with some remnants left in Broward.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Would living in Miami Beach be in any way an obstacle to studying in a university/college in Miami? I'm speaking of traffic, parking, accessibility, etc.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|L View Post
Would living in Miami Beach be in any way an obstacle to studying in a university/college in Miami? I'm speaking of traffic, parking, accessibility, etc.
Somewhat, especially in the way of traffic conditions. The bridges aren't too bad, but you might have a lot of issues on U.S.1, especially if you are studying at UM in Coral Gables. In which case, if you were to study at UM, I would tell you to locate in Coral Gables, which KIND OF has what you are looking for. If you were studying at FIU, then that would depend strongly on the particular campus. Miami Beach is still probably worth it.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale area, so I am going to go ahead and hand over this thread to someone who knows Miami down by neighborhood a little bit more.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 AM

9,378 posts, read 14,332,558 times
Perhaps the original poster should specify whether he knows Spanish fluently, what branch of law he intends to specialize in, and whether he will attend the University of Miami.

From an academic/career perspective, Miami makes sense if the intention is real estate, tax law, and international law, all related to one another in some way. Fluency in Spanish (and Portuguese) is not 100% necessary, but it helps a lot.

If UM is the destination, it may make more sense to live in Coral Gables, South Miami or Coconut Grove, and go to South Beach for fun when the time is right.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM

I'm a business student, not studying law. I do intend to take classes in real estate, however, in addition to my business studies.

I'm not fluent in Spanish (barely speaks beyond "Hola").

University of Miami is an option, I have not officially applied to any schools as of yet but I'm leaning towards Florida International University.

Last edited by M|L; 07-30-2007 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami