Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
That's right and I think Miami believes there are an unlimited amount of sheep.

It's killer expensive here. Zoo, 15.00, seaworld 40.00, rent a bike 25.00 for two hours. You have to pay to park then pay more fees to get in and we don't even have to talk about eating out and what that costs.

I've seen this business model before where things were so high it didn't matter how many they sold. The margins were so great they figured they didn't need every deal and if you wanted it, you bought it or did without it. They didn't care, they made their money the day before.

That's fine until the day when the sales don't come. You don't have those high margins and if you refuse to lower your prices, you'll be the one doing without.

"I'll show you, I'll go broke before I lower my prices" is not the way to stay in business in a flailing economy and let's face it, times are tough in the US right now and no good news in sight. Gas prices $4.00 a gallon and it's not even summer. How many people will be driving/flying to Miami this summer vs. last?
That is cheap for petrol in Europe,like I said the exchange rate is good, so visitors get more bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 PM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
12 million visitors annually with 17 billion made from tourism that is a lot of sheering, they must be doing something right,maybe tourists especially Europeans do not care about attitudes as probably most are arrogant themselves and plus for the fact that the exchange rate is very ideal so fleece on and add in those gratuities.baaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, that's euro's but what about dollars? I don't find my exchange rate that favorable here. So the plan is to cater to the Europeans and leave out other market segments? Only cater to wealthy Americans?

Let's assume both. Where does that put job creation? Only the tourist industry or will this bring in factory and manufacturing jobs?

Having a singular source of income is not a good business practice for a city anyway you shear this sheep and let's face it, we live here yet pay tourist prices. A pair for shoes cost the same if you live here and make 7.00 per hour or 7,000 per hour and if you are from Munich or Hialeah.

Do the tourists shop at publix? Buy cars? Homes? Where are the long term growth patterns here that will make the local economy strong and stable? Renting beach chairs are good, but imo we need more to be viable.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times
Quote:
That is cheap for petrol in Europe,like I said the exchange rate is good, so visitors get more bang for the buck.
While this is true, we don't want to be slaves to the exchange rate - especially if prices keep rising and Europe can manage the debt crises it's in.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Granted, but who buys more gas here, the ones who live here or the visitors who come here for the weekend?

Let's assume next year we have double the visitors. Will the tourist industry hire twice as many people? Build new hotels and if so where?

Where is the potential for real long term growth and long term jobs?

You have to grow the economy from within and I think that's where Miami is failing. It should be a vibrant economy on it's own with the icing on the cake being the tourist dollars. Miami right now is a one wheel bicycle.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That's right and I think Miami believes there are an unlimited amount of sheep.

It's killer expensive here. Zoo, 15.00, seaworld 40.00, rent a bike 25.00 for two hours. You have to pay to park then pay more fees to get in and we don't even have to talk about eating out and what that costs.

I've seen this business model before where things were so high it didn't matter how many they sold. The margins were so great they figured they didn't need every deal and if you wanted it, you bought it or did without it. They didn't care, they made their money the day before.

That's fine until the day when the sales don't come. You don't have those high margins and if you refuse to lower your prices, you'll be the one doing without.

"I'll show you, I'll go broke before I lower my prices" is not the way to stay in business in a flailing economy and let's face it, times are tough in the US right now and no good news in sight. Gas prices $4.00 a gallon and it's not even summer. How many people will be driving/flying to Miami this summer vs. last?
Nobody is putting a gun to their head to pay these prices and if one does it is mostly put on the credit card and the shock value will come next month. Miami and Miami Beach are well-known internationally and yes it does seem to cater to the wealthy but prices are much cheaper in the off season which are mostly the summer months.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Pounds to Dollars | GBP USD | Pound Dollar rate- Although I have seen it higher.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Granted, but who buys more gas here, the ones who live here or the visitors who come here for the weekend?

Let's assume next year we have double the visitors. Will the tourist industry hire twice as many people? Build new hotels and if so where?

Where is the potential for real long term growth and long term jobs?

You have to grow the economy from within and I think that's where Miami is failing. It should be a vibrant economy on it's own with the icing on the cake being the tourist dollars. Miami right now is a one wheel bicycle.
I'll add - I don't see tourists in West Kendall spending money in La Carreta!

Tourists stay around the beach, or in the malls and spend money in Gap, Banana Republic, Jonny Rockets etc..

Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
I'll add - I don't see tourists in West Kendall spending money in La Carreta!

Tourists stay around the beach, or in the malls and spend money in Gap, Banana Republic, Jonny Rockets etc..

actually really odd you meantion this. i actually saw ONE!
a clearly european guy who looked like Bruno before they changed his image for the movie. stuck out like a sore thumb while i was driving down bird road.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
actually really odd you meantion this. i actually saw ONE!
a clearly european guy who looked like Bruno before they changed his image for the movie. stuck out like a sore thumb while i was driving down bird road.
Probably me!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:03 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
Government checks kept south florida alive in 2009

Government aid soared 12 percent in South Florida during recession - Economy & Banking - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/21/2179826/government-aid-soared-12-percent.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami