Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times

Advertisements

yes, that is accurate, but it's not a valid comparison - that's apples to oranges - a person at war has no CHOICE in removing themself from psychologically damaging circumstances.

and while it can be said that a person's economic or living situation may limit their ability to "just move" - they STILL have basic human free choice....there is always SOME level of choice.... it is possible, AND one's own personal responsibility - to change their surroundings if they are unhappy with them to such an extent

Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
yes, that is accurate, but it's not a valid comparison - that's apples to oranges - a person at war has no CHOICE in removing themself from psychologically damaging circumstances.

and while it can be said that a person's economic or living situation may limit their ability to "just move" - they STILL have basic human free choice....there is always SOME level of choice.... it is possible, AND one's own personal responsibility - to change their surroundings if they are unhappy with them to such an extent
plenty of people here stuck because theyre upside down on a mortgage they bought when they moved here. plenty of people have parents they dont want to leave. plenty of people have a solid steady job that would be financial suicide to leave in our present economy. but seriously, ive seen people's personalities radically change before a 1 year lease was even up. its crazy.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM

87 posts, read 136,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

I said it before Cixell you are negative by nature, Miami didn't make you like this.

Cixell if you are so paranoic(you are like the apprentice of Tallrick) why don't you just a cheap property cash, save can goods for the rest of your lifetime? buy some gold and bury it in your yard. Or you can buy this:

Costco - Shelf Reliance® THRIVE

It amazes me how you're able to draw that conclusion about a stranger on a forum based on what you read on here. Some people use these forums as an outlet to vent so you may only see that side of them. To say they are negative by nature based on that is just being judgemental.

Last edited by OCtoWPB; 08-31-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
the longer they stay the more bitter and mean they become. its defensive. thats just how it is.
well i hear you cixcell and i understand that is your perspective. but i completely disagree that your personal opinion is "just how it is".
Yeh, it's that way FOR YOU - and i respect that. But that doesn't make it a universal truth.

my experience is not that at all..... i've known the same people here for 4-5 years now, who are the same people they've always been..... live in the same house, have the same core circle of friends - with new ones added over the years, and have the same qualities in personality that i liked about them when i first met them and became friends with them years ago. when i finally moved here after all these years checking it out, i've been well-received by those i know personally as well as new people i've met, and even strangers who say hello on the street or serve me breakfast in a diner. ::shrug::

i love the way everything here is all mixed up and blended - it's why i CAME HERE. so my entire outlook is interested and positive - about the very same things that others seem to hate. imho that makes a big difference in how i react and respond to the stuff that happens here on a daily basis...

Last edited by catt6; 08-31-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoWPB View Post
It amazes me how you're able to draw that conclusion about a stranger on a forum based on what you read on here. Some people use these forums as an outlet to vent so you may only see that side of them. To say they are negative by nature based on that is just being judgemental.

He is being venting since 2007, not since last week or last month. That's 4 years venting(he had another screen name) And the venting is every SINGLE day, not a once a year post. Call it judgmental but there is enough evidence to support my judgment.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
well i hear you cixcell and i understand that is your perspective. but i completely disagree that your personal opinion is "just how it is".
Yeh, it's that way FOR YOU - and i respect that. But that doesn't make it a universal truth.

my experience is not that at all..... i've known the same people here for 4-5 years now, who are the same people they've always been..... live in the same house, have the same core circle of friends - with new ones added over the years, and have the same qualities in personality that i liked about them when i first met them and became friends with them years ago. when i finally moved here after all these years checking it out, i've been well-received by those i know personally as well as new people i've met, and even strangers who say hello on the street or serve me breakfast in a diner. ::shrug::

i love the way everything here is all mixed up and blended - it's why i CAME HERE. so my entire outlook is interested and positive - about the very same things that others seem to hate. imho that makes a big difference in how i reacft and respond to the stuff that happens here on a daily basis...
where do you live? just curious.
i've worked in jobs all over miami and i always see a change in personality of transplants that move here. they come in bright eyed and happy and within 2 wks that smile is wiped off their faces. i'm not the only person who's observed this from talking to people. this one guy i remember from chicago, a coworker of mine. we were walking around in miami beach and he was in awe and saying how he never thought he would live in a place so beautiful. i left the job, worked somewhere else for a bit and came back and his personality was like night and day. he was hardened and bitter and jaded. MISERABLE. he had a sneer whenever he talked about everything and just a general hate of everything. he would constantly complain about this or that in miami. the difference was shocking. ive met people here who moved from new york and returned and said they were shocked by how rude people were. i known people who moved here from detroit and said detroit was easier to handle and wound up moving to arizona. its happened too many times for me to think its a coincidence. thats why i'm asking where you live. because i havent seen anything like your describing south of broward.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
He is being venting since 2007, not since last week or last month. That's 4 years venting(he had another screen name) And the venting is every SINGLE day, not a once a year post. Call it judgmental but there is enough evidence to support my judgment.
its not venting. its sounding the call of warning to others. to make them think twice and really put some thought into looking before they leap. to be the lighthouse to guide them away from the rocks before they smash their ship on it.

we have friends in broward. they think we're nuts for living down here. i have coworkers who only cross into miami for their jobs and get nervous driving as south as bird road. its kinda surprising.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
You also have people in Broward who would rather be unemployed or underemployed than drive south to Dade. I say more power to them!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
You also have people in Broward who would rather be unemployed or underemployed than drive south to Dade. I say more power to them!!!
lol. true. true.

btw give me some slack here. feeling crappier than usual. stupid early morning thunderstorms depriving me of sleep.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 AM

i live in north beach - last year and again now.
spent some time living in oakland park as well, but don't like it as much.... is perfectly nice as far as the atmosphere, it's too 'suburbs' for me. although i DO love the good shopping in the lauderdale area, hehe.

i spend a lot of time in North Miami and Opa Locka area.... what others think of and look down upon as the ghetto - but i just don't see it that way, there's an ABUNDANCE of wonderful food and little shops over there, people are friendly towards me, i have several true friends who live over that way, some of my docs are there, and it's where my band's rehearsal space is.

i mostly move among the immigrant population since i'm a musician, and the instrument i play is from the Caribbean, so i'm involved mostly with Caribbean and Hispanic/Latino people in my daily life. and i love them.....

i purposely try to stay out of, and away from, the entire corporate-business-oriented mainstream american lifestyle. i don't have the same expectations that that lifestyle dictates. and i think it's people in THAT type of lifestyle who change in the way you describe.... people who have a very rigid idea of "how things SHOULD BE", based upon the way things were "where they grew up", and who cannot adapt to ANYTHING that differs from the limited expectations they bring here from whatever town they came from. They feel that "their way" is the only "right way" - so anything different from that is judged as being 'wrong' in their eyes... not just 'different', or something 'new' that they could adapt to, and perhaps even enjoy - but automatically 'less than', and therefore inferior.

I believe THAT type of attitude towards life is the source of the kinds of negative feelings and changes you describe. But that kind of person is not the ONLY kind of person who moves here, or lives here.... people who come here with different expectations from the ones dictated by the standard mainstream american lifestyle (like myself) - have very different reactions to how things go here.

so I believe it's all about PERSPECTIVE. what's true for you, or me, isn't absolute truth for ALL -- and i think it does a real dis-service to people in general for some to go around with this attitude of "warning" others that this place is so bad, and they shouldn't come here. others may be completely different personalities from you, and may come here, fit in, and love it.

Last edited by catt6; 08-31-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami