Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 AM

153 posts, read 288,154 times

Advertisements

I only need FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS and CW, but my antenna which I spend $40 on this piece of junk only catches CBS and NBC, so do you know where can I get cheapest cable for just these 5 programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 AM

309 posts, read 620,048 times
well - no cable company will give you "only" those 5 channels - but you can get the cheapest package offerred which will eliminate many of the extra channels.

as far as i know there's only two cable companies that serve the area - Comcast and Atlantic Broadband. Comcast doesn't serve where I live, so i had to get Atlantic (not as good as Comcast and more expensive, boo hiss) -- not sure where you are, but you can check them both out on their websites, to see which one serves your location, & find out what their most basic packages would cost.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 PM

177 posts, read 405,762 times
My, what a boring life...

Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Boring? Considering that I am constantly traveling to Europe and US, and already traveled through whole Africa, I would say that you are boring piece of sh*t, so if you think you can judge someone because of one thread, I think you are some kind of a thinks-that-know-it-all redneck... and I would never bothered to reply to someone like you but I just can't stand your type.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
Here is some advise: the cable companies will literally rip you off by selling you "basic" cable. It will essentially be the channels you want plus PBS and religious channels and infomercial channel crap. I think it runs around 20 dollars, but this is where it turns fun. There are connection fees, equipment fees, maintence fees, contracts, early termination fees, special charges, taxes....it is nuts.

Where exactly do you live? What kind of building do you live in? Can you move you TV (and antenna) closer to a window?

My advise is to play around with the antenna and TV. You should be able to receive all the local channels, they are all broadcast from the county. Some will come in better than others, that is to be expected. Before digitalization, I could even pick up Palm Beach stations at night from my apartment in Little Havana. I remember when planes went by (I was right under the glight track) the signals would fade out temporarily. NBC was always bad reception...CBS came in better since it was broadcast out of West Miami Dade.

I also remember that moving the tv to a different part of the room made a difference. Some signals come from the north, others west, etc...so find which place works best. Maybe this isn't going to be possible with the kind of tv and antenna you have or because of space...and then you will have to go the cable route. But since you already have the antenna, give it some more tries.

OHHH Forgot to mention....do you realize you can watch most programs online, even from those networks? From their newscasts to prime time shows. So look into that too...they don't charge and you obviously have internet already. I actually don't have a TV anymore, but am able to watch the shows and newscasts I used to online now. Granted, I never watch a lot, but the few I do care about are on ABC and NBC's national websites.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Have you done a channel search once you've hooked up the antenna? You need to make the TV search for channels to get all that are out there, otherwise you'll get little to nothing.

Even without cable you should still be getting 15-20 air stations.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter94941 View Post
I only need FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS and CW, but my antenna which I spend $40 on this piece of junk only catches CBS and NBC, so do you know where can I get cheapest cable for just these 5 programs?
Check YouTube for Homemade DH Antenna and you will find videos how to make an antenna that will pick up way more channels than any of the antennas you can buy in the store. I needed an antenna I could hook up to my tiny digital hurricane tv and hubby found how to make them and it gets way more channels than the one we bought from the store. He made a second one for someone in North Florida and they get a great reception. People come to her house and they are amazed how many channels the homemade antenna gets.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Thank you guys I did what you said and I have about 15 programs, I spent about 2 hours adjusting the antenna but it was worth, now it works well.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
Great news!! And just to feel even better about yourself, call the cable company and ask what they would have charged for that, with the set up, install, equipment rental and taxes included. You can save that money and probably take a mini vacation in a year based on those savings.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM

You're absolutely right, I really didn't want to have another bill to have to pay if I can get the networks where I watch the shows for free, and I did it, and I also called them and I didn't know I would have to pay for all of that also lol. You're right, I really saved up money and I would just like to thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: