Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami: Diversity or Not Diversity?
Diversity 33 63.46%
Not Diversity 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times

Advertisements

agreed.

what i originally said was 'religion is not part of measuring diversity' because being jewish is not a 'race'. there are jewish people within EVERY race and culture of the world.

-- all that other stuff was beside the point. i didn't take it in that direction - and imho the direction manolon went in, is ALSO completely beside the point i was making
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
lol yeah, Manolon's interpretation of your post made me believe you were having a different convo.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
hahaha - yep - exactly. manolon's incorrect intepretation is PRECISELY what i am trying to correct.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
regardless - when talking about "diversity", religion is not a marker for it.... 'diversity" refers to variety in a population's racial/cultural makeup - so yes, "the region they migrated from" would be relevant when talking about diversity - but not what religion they practice, or are descended from.

-----

Maybe not in America, but repeat that in Morroco where they jail you and kick your volls if you become a Christian.....or take a time machine and repeat the same in Germany 65 years ago....you'll see that religion is diversity...or just go to he Deep South and say that you are a papist or that you believe in the teachings observed by the blackamoors.

Last edited by Manolón; 10-26-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
agreed.

what i originally said was 'religion is not part of measuring diversity' because being jewish is not a 'race'. there are jewish people within EVERY race and culture of the world.

-- all that other stuff was beside the point. i didn't take it in that direction - and imho the direction manolon went in, is ALSO completely beside the point i was making
--------

There are no Jewish people in every race and culture in the world. Jewish people are the descendants of the great diaspora that began when Tito (a Roman emperor) destroyed the temple. Jews were expelled from Judea and they went to cities all around the Roman empire, some to India.

Jewish people don't proselitize, they don't CONVERT non-Jewish people, so most Jews are related to the Jewish Diaspora.

And Gypsies are an ethnic group from Northern India with a well defined DNA, the group is still present in India. Most of the beggars in Indian streets are gypsies.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
But there are indeed many jewish cultures. They vary from each other according to countries. Each of them have their different recipes for food, folkloric local tales, idioms,clothing, music... everything according to the country they've migrated, of course. There is no such thing as a "one and only jewish" culture, though. No such thing as an exclusive jewish gene either... whatever gene there is in a jew can be also found on another person from different religion and ethnicity.
-----

You can find a variety of haplotypes shared by all Jews since they all come from Judea and their genetic pull is tremendous. For example, genetics studies have determined that more than 10 percent of the Spanish population are genetically Jewish (but forced to convert to Catholicism by the Inquisition). You can even detect if they are Sephardim or Ashkenazin, even considering they have the same origin.......even more, you can even detect if they come from hereditary families in charge of the Talmud.

The religion, Judaism, is the same, but the form of the CULT varies, just as there are many cults among Catholics (Mozarabic, Roman, Coptic, etc).

Yes, they have different foods, but traditional foods and dietary laws are the same for all Jews.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Obviously all of them came from Judea; many other ethnicities and people of other religions also came from the surrounding areas. For example, Gypsies are supposed to come from India (or so they say - or egypt), but that doesn't mean they have an exclusive DNA that's not shared with other people from that region.

-----------------
What DNA Test Should I Take to Determine if I have Jewish or 10-Israel Ancestry?
If you're male and your goal is simply to determine which Y-DNA Haplogroup you belong to for deep-ancestry purposes (such as Hebrew Identity questions), the "Y-DNA - Universal Male Test" (starting at $119.00) is highly recommended as a place to start.
Men can test their Y-DNA to determine the origin of their paternal line only (which is Biblically more significant in regards to tribal identity). The Y-DNA test strictly checks the father-to-grandfather-to-great-grandfather line, with no maternal genetic influence. Women do not receive Y-DNA, and therefore cannot themselves be tested for their paternal ancestry line, but they can ask a brother or a male relative to be tested.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

You can find a variety of haplotypes shared by all Jews since they all come from Judea and their genetic pull is tremendous. For example, genetics studies have determined that more than 10 percent of the Spanish population are genetically Jewish (but forced to convert to Catholicism by the Inquisition)..
I was actually gonna mention this yesterday, but declined, I'm glad you brought this up.

I did have a convo about this some years ago and was amazed by what some people told me. That 10 percent in Spain doesn't mean Hebrew or Akkadian, or Arabic or Aramaic or whatever...it simply represents the Phoenician background in Iberia and all Yurop. Yes, Semites, and very related to Hebrew, but that doesn't mean they were 100% followers of an Abrahamic religion.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----------------
What DNA Test Should I Take to Determine if I have Jewish or 10-Israel Ancestry?
If you're male and your goal is simply to determine which Y-DNA Haplogroup you belong to for deep-ancestry purposes (such as Hebrew Identity questions), the "Y-DNA - Universal Male Test" (starting at $119.00) is highly recommended as a place to start.
Men can test their Y-DNA to determine the origin of their paternal line only (which is Biblically more significant in regards to tribal identity). The Y-DNA test strictly checks the father-to-grandfather-to-great-grandfather line, with no maternal genetic influence. Women do not receive Y-DNA, and therefore cannot themselves be tested for their paternal ancestry line, but they can ask a brother or a male relative to be tested.
Dude, the only thing that study can tell you is that you have roots in that part of the middle east, nothing else.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Manolon, are you one of those people who uses terms as Dinaric race, Sub Adriatic race, Sur-Nordique race, Nordique, etc...? Do you think every region in the world has its own exclusive race? Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami