Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM

94 posts, read 134,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Wrong! The problem with Miami is that the standard of living is super high, yet, salaries are among the lowest in the nation for a big city. I bet you that Houston, San Antonio or Austin TX have more illegals than Miami, but they rank among the best cities to live in the USA. Illegals are to blame for many of our nation's problems, but they don't make a city poor.

I agree you have NY prices or higher but Southern salaries . Gas-insurance is cheaper here but thats it .

You also have people that vote with ethnicity,culture for the most useless,inept DO NOTHING politicians in America (maybe New Orleans is worse).
Illegals dont make a city poor but bad money management-STEALING politicians do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Demographics and low education are part of it, and just the economy down there with low wages and a large underground workforce. The high cost of living makes it worse, but the U.S. census bureau dose even adjust for differences in the local cost of living in diferant parts of the U.S. But really, most of the immigrants in Miami are legal, unlike some parts of the country.
I meant, the U.S. census bureau dose NOT even adjust for differences in the local cost of living-!! -Emil.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20somethingandbrokeguide View Post
Oh did anyone read the Herald article about the proposed structured toll for I-95 that varied depending on the time of day? Instead of rewarding people for carpooling, it seems like they want to make traffic something that only the poor have to deal with.
Oh and the county is going to put tolls on the 874 and the 826. Their goal is for people to pay for every mile they drive pretty much. I think they are going to make it a toll system like on the new toll road on the 836 extension. The county commisioners getting more money out of us.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Oh and the county is going to put tolls on the 874 and the 826. Their goal is for people to pay for every mile they drive pretty much. I think they are going to make it a toll system like on the new toll road on the 836 extension. The county commisioners getting more money out of us.
I've heard that rumor for some months now. Is it true that the want 826 and 874 to be toll roads? I haven't seen any thing in the news about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM

From what I have heard they are still going with it. But you know these commisioners, it takes them 4+ years to do just studies. So this probably will not actaully happen for another 3+ years.

The commissioners want to put tolls on every entrance and exit on the 874 and 826 and probaby the 836 too. This way people pay for every mile they use. Could you imagine the tie ups this will cause. Those that don't want to pay, will now clog the side roads and neighborhoods because they don't want to pay. Causing more conjestion instead of relieving it.

I wish the news organizations would make the community aware of what our elected commisioners are wanting to do. I think many people would be outraged if they had to pay double if not triple what they are paying right now.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
Default Who's fault?

I have been a Miami Downtowner for the last 15 years, and every year I hear speculations about how great this place is going to get. When you hear politicians talking about the improvements they made so far it usually means that they have worked in Brickell or the design district, as if those areas are part of Downtown.

It is really frustrating to see this beautiful city crumble. If you go to the Miami Parking Authority site, they are really making the parking ticket business a very profitable one, and worst of all they are proud of it. Parking fine revenue generated for Miami-Dade County and City of Miami: $4.784 million, and astounding figure on parking fines. Parking is a part of any urban area in any city but the MPA boys and Girls are some of the nastiest in the business. They really make sure your car gets tow. Let's not mention the wave of crime and the lack of Police officers in the Area, the amount of police cars that are around town are usually either on a court case or attending officials matters, but never to address the needs of the much needed jewelry quarter. This is one of the areas that has really been taking a toll on the last few years.

Business are closing down due to lack of security in the area. Clients are not longer attracted to come to the almighty downtown to shop, as it once used to be. The public just doesn't feel secure coming to our beloved Downtown, and the tourist industry is shock to come and visit us our very dreadful town.

On top of that a booming industry of apartments that one only can imagine who actually lives here, or is it mostly foreign money, I am not sure who can afford, 350,000.00 condos, a British janitor with a strong British Pound has more of an advantage that a common Median worker. Good Luck Capital of the Sun.

Ouch Miami

Last edited by ouchmiami; 10-11-2007 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,263 times
in order to remove ourselves from the top 5 category of being poor. we need to provide better jobs for the residents in the community. alot of these people are overworked and underpaid. some of these workers have plenty of kids to feed in one household and should get an increase in pay just off that alone.

the wages they are handing out are way too low feed themselves let alone their kids. i can see why we are the 5th poorest city in the nation. their should be an increase in minimum wage every year!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 67,953 times
in a few words, miami just plain sucks. i've been to fisher island plenty of times and it looks like a wealthy retirement community/resort. having lived in santa monica and brentwood, i can safely say that 90210 is easily still the best. the reason housing is so expensive here is beacause there are a lot of people with money (from other states/countries) that have bought or are buying property here. miamians are delusional about the worth of their city and property. they are getting a nice wake-up call now. trust me, especially after buying here, they would never want to move here permanently. miami has very little to offer besides heat. in a few words, it's not a good place to raise a family.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmtk674 View Post
i've been to fisher island plenty of times and it looks like a wealthy retirement community/resort.
That is funny, but when I think back to the many times I have been out there, this is true. Its mainly (not all) second home owners that come down for the winter, which are older. But it is still pretty, particularly at night, when the trees are lighted.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 17,072 times
miami is actually overall highest no joke watch the movie cocane cowboys.
dont believe the other sht get out of the city or move to miami b each b oca raton or parts of north miami beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami