Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,730 times

Advertisements

the request of the mayor has been approved to allow miami-dade police officers to have access to assault rifles. i think this is really the wrong direction for this as you already have corrupt cops as is and now you're giving them assault rifles? personally i think the emphasis has to be placed on the regulation of illegal arms moreso over than giving cops a bigger badder gun to try and scare criminals.

honestly do you think labeet would have cared if they had assault rifles or not? a lot of criminals (nation wide not just south florida) have adopted the all out mentality or that they prefer to die than go to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:31 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
The intention isn't to deter crime, it is to help protect the lives of police officers by giving them equal footing with the bad guys if trouble arises.

And if you're paranoid about a corrupt cop, s/he can easily make your life hell with or without a gun, so that's a silly argument.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Labeet obviously did not care for anyone but himself, obvious by what he did to the officer he gunned down. All with an ak47, what does someone need an ak47 in Miami, only for somethings not good. Last month officer Ryka gunned down in Pompano Beach and the other officer that is still in the hospital (not sure where he was gunned down). And I am sure there are other incidences that are less violent that haven't made the news lately. I have said this since probably around Feb, that something changed in South Florida, that the crime was up.

These are the type of people that live in our communities today, a sad fact, and it will only get worse if our economy doesn't get better soon.

I am all for the cops carrying whatever it takes to defend themselves and protect me from people like Labeet. Even with the bad cops...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
They aren't assault rifles. Assault rifles, as used by the military, are fully automatic firearms. These aren't. These fire a bullet only when the trigger is pulled.

You are right though, that the problem is not guns, it is criminals. Get rid of criminals, and problems go away.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
the request of the mayor has been approved to allow miami-dade police officers to have access to assault rifles. i think this is really the wrong direction for this as you already have corrupt cops as is and now you're giving them assault rifles? personally i think the emphasis has to be placed on the regulation of illegal arms moreso over than giving cops a bigger badder gun to try and scare criminals.

honestly do you think labeet would have cared if they had assault rifles or not? a lot of criminals (nation wide not just south florida) have adopted the all out mentality or that they prefer to die than go to jail.
Well let's see. We all know that bank robberies and other crimes occur down here where criminals are armed with assault rifles. So now you are an officer responding to a silent alarm at a bank. Do you want to go up against someone with an assault rifle with your handgun, or do you want something high powered, more rounds and with better accuracy. Let me reload my gun while he is firing at me with a banana clip. Maybe I'll drop my clip and he'll have enough time to walk up to me and take me out. If you know anything about guns, you know that rifles are more accurate than pistols. A "corrupt cop" will kill you with a handgun just the same way than with an assault rifle. I feel that that's just a lame excuse to make our job more difficult because of people who hate the police. It's real easy for someone to criticize when they're Monday morning quarterbacking and have no clue to what we do or what we face.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
If you know anything about guns, you know that rifles are more accurate than pistols.
If you know anything about guns, you know we aren't talking about assault rifles. And these guns aren't any more powerful than your average deer rifle, in fact, they are less powerful.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
Pointless to continue, officers.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM

87 posts, read 270,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post

Give the cops the tools they need to defend themselves (and us) against psycho-criminals like LaBeet, who manage to get access to dangerous firearms such as an AK-47.

No, I don't think LaBeet would have cared if the cops were armed with rocket launchers, but with better firepower, maybe they could have taken him down sooner and as a result, no lives may have been lost, aside from the scumbag LaBeet.

I'm sure there are corrupt cops, just like corruption weeds its way into all walks of life, but wouldn't you rather have those who are there to protect you armed and ready? Think of it this way, picture the nation of Israel, surrounded by Arab enemies. Israel arms itself to the hilt, because it has to.....it has to be one step ahead of its potential enemies.

In an ideal world, no one would have guns, but this isn't an ideal world and you have to make sure that the line of defense is better equipped than the enemy, at all times. At the end of the day, who would you rather had the better weapons; the police or the criminals?

I come from a country (the UK) where the majority of police don't even carry firearms, in a country where gun crime is constantly on the rise. Many people in the UK are opposed to the police being armed in any way, but I have never understood that, because the days of the "bobby carrying the stick" are well and truly over. At least over here (and in most countries), they provide cops with firearms and extensive training.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
If you know anything about guns, you know we aren't talking about assault rifles. And these guns aren't any more powerful than your average deer rifle, in fact, they are less powerful.
WordNet Search - 3.0 (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=assault%20rifle - broken link)

"any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use"

GLOSSARY OF TERMS (broken link)

"A military rifle intended purely for one-man operation and equipped to provide both semiautomatic or full-automatic fire by means of a selector switch or other fire-control device. Today's assault rifles are typified by the Soviet AK 47 and the U. S. M 16."

Seems to me we ARE talking about assault rifles.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
WordNet Search - 3.0 (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=assault%20rifle - broken link)

"any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use"

GLOSSARY OF TERMS (broken link)

"A military rifle intended purely for one-man operation and equipped to provide both semiautomatic or full-automatic fire by means of a selector switch or other fire-control device. Today's assault rifles are typified by the Soviet AK 47 and the U. S. M 16."

Seems to me we ARE talking about assault rifles.
No we most definitely are not. An M-16 select fire rifle is an assault rifle. An AR-14 semiautomatic rifle is not an assault rifle. It must be select fire with fully automatic capability in order to be an assault rifle. As you know, it has been illegal for a civilian to own such a rifle for over 70 years, unless a person possesses a special license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami