Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:31 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

At least according to the GaWC network, yes, yes it is. I think a lot of this has to do with international presence and trade relationships, degree of multiculturalism, etc., but their rationale makes sense in Miami being a "World Class" city in that sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
Miami in some ways is world class but it has a long way to go. Things I consider are the following.Its recognition. In terms of being on a first name basis I'm not sure Miami is world class. By this I mean New York, Tokyo, Berlin, Paris, London, Los Angeles, etc. These cities don't require a state or country, and everyone knows where they are. In many industries they mean more as a city, than they do as a part of a state or country. For example, Hollywood. In the business of motion picture and music, Los Angeles means more than the United States or California. As far as human capital I'm not sure Miami has that either. Human capital shows itself in terms of technology, start ups, the way a community comes together to push something. New York and DC excel in this category. In Culture, no doubt Miami has culture, but has Miami done something cultural that penetrates the world over as to become adopted in other places. I'll use Los Angeles as an example again. LA ushered in the American automotive industry as well as the jet age and the space shuttle program. LA has defined automobile ownership in the US. It's defined jet travel, even though those industries went on to greener pastures those industries penetrated the way people move the world over, and have their roots tied to LA. Another thing I consider is a cities role in the global economy. In terms of finance and policy, NYC and DC dominate. In terms of commodities, Chicago hands down. In terms of anything Asian, the combined ports of LA/Long Beach penetrate the world over. I'm certain Miami is global, but I'm not certain Miami really does any of these things. I guess the best way for me to see Miami as global is this. What has Miami done that penetrates the world over. What can some kid in an obscure part of the world say in unequivocally Miami, and everyone around him know it too. To me, that is global class. Another thing I think defines globalism is a way a city connects to other global cities. For example, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, etc probably do greater business with Tokyo, London, and other global cities than the capital of a neighboring state. These cities in many ways operate with greater magnitude in a more global economy than they do with a more local or national economy.
Let's start with this first! I find this premise of yours rather bizarre though. Miami doesn't have the "name recognition" across the world without adding Florida to it? Could you name how many other cities in the world are named "Miami"? The city has been world famous for decades so could you please show how it lacks recognition Globally?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
I would die before living in Miami. Miami makes O-town look great.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:38 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
A global city has relations with other global cities. Miami is on its way of being one. Need more middle eastern/asia links to the city. Just because we have close relations with Latin America doesn't make it a global city automatically what about other parts of the world?. We're starting to get Middle eastern airlines (Qatar) and mainland Chinese coming to the city. LA and NYC have people from all backgrounds and on a larger scale. We're kinda like Nice, France is to Paris as we are to New York.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Miami a leading luxury capital of the world | Miami Herald

Old 10-27-2015, 02:10 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami

Miami is considered an Alpha- World Class city, that was in 2012

Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ne20070811.jpg

Old 05-25-2020, 02:59 AM

233 posts, read 344,659 times
Fascinating!

Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Miami is the Capitol of Central America.

Whenever there are political issues in much of the Caribbean and Central America, Miami is where the social elites move their cash and assets to.

And it's often where they move in order to live in a semi-Spanish society. And many already have residences there--before turmoil in their countries fully occurs.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:01 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times

Last edited by Huasho; 05-25-2020 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami