Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 AM

100 posts, read 503,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobadas View Post
Caitzmon

I was a common fixture at Lila's on Calle Ocho. I knew the owner quite well and I still remember their steaks covered in a cloud of straw french fries. I used to go a lot to that place because it was possible to eat and drink a bottle of Paternina Rioja Wine wine for 5 bucks. Later, they closed their restaurant at Calle Ocho and opened a new one in Coral Way, around 87th (I never went there).
Did they close that restaurant?
Bobadas, they actually razed that entire shopping plaza/mini-mall where the Lila's was on Coral Way and 87th Avenue. Home Depot going up there now, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 AM

66 posts, read 91,913 times
jcblanco

What a pity!! Have you heard about Yayo's Restaurant somewhere around Cuban NW? It was a Cuban smorgasboard. It was incredible.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
jcblanco

What a pity!! Have you heard about Yayo's Restaurant somewhere around Cuban NW? It was a Cuban smorgasboard. It was incredible.
Hey Bobadas, no, I never did hear about Yayo's in all of my years living here. I was primarily familiar with the likes of Versailles, La Carreta, and La Lechonera growing up!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 AM

12 posts, read 27,482 times
Does anyone remember Pirates? Any Cuban-American child in the 80's worth his or her salt had a birthday party there. How about the Omni Mall amusement park? I loved the virtual reality ride.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 AM

66 posts, read 91,913 times
jcblanco

I went a lot to Casablanca, Oriental, Saigon, Esquina de Tejas, Badias, Palma de Mallorca, Centro Vasco (during Juanito's tenure). Lechonera had those figures outside. There was also those counters on Cuban supermarkets where they had tow or three specials, very good.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimbero View Post
Does anyone remember Pirates? Any Cuban-American child in the 80's worth his or her salt had a birthday party there. How about the Omni Mall amusement park? I loved the virtual reality ride.
Coral Way and about 70th Avenue for Pirates, sure. I think it closed in about '91 or so? Braman Honda has been there for quite a few years now, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 AM

46 posts, read 180,440 times
Quote:
jcblanco

I remember Yayo's. They had a restaurant on NW 7th St near (I believe) 27th Avenue, and they had another restaurant called "King Yayo's on W. 49th Street in Hialeah, across from Palm Springs Mile Shopping Center.

I used to drive down from Ft Laud at least once a week (it only took 25 mins door-to-door down I-95 - try that now!). Excellent food.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That was Hotel Lindsey Hopkins. It was at the top of the way-cool 50's interior school headquarters. It was demolished in the 1980's. The Royal Castle was nearby, and closed shortly after. Another place I liked around there was the 50's style Biscayne Cafeteria. I can look in my 1980 phone book for the addresses.
When I was about 5 y/o (late 60s), Mr Rogers and the the other actors from his show came to Miami and had a show at Channel 2's studios which were in the Lindsey Hopkins Bldg. I remember it so clearly because there was a couple and their kids in front of us. A black family sat down next to them (they were white) and the mother got very loud and abusive, and they (the white people) were thrown out. I remember this like it was yesterday. I don't know what the white people said, but during that time in Miami, I can only imagine. Still, people don't believe me when I tell them Miami was a typical Southern city at one time.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
It is. I looked for it a while back and thought I must be crazy for remembering it but I know I watched it every morning before school and wanted to be on it so badly. Maybe it will show up on You Tube someday.
I remember the name of the show, but what was the format? I must have been pre-school.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Got a blast from the past this morning. On NPR they did a story on a "new" concept, a bicycle designed to carry cargo. Anyone else recall Miami mailmen in the 60s who had specially designed bikes in which they carried the mail for their routes? They were like the sturdy, standard 26 inch fat-tire bikes of the era, except they had a smaller front wheel to accomodate a humongous metal basket in which they carried the mail. They had "US Mail" painted on them. The mailmen looked positively ridiculous in their official blue shorts and pith helmets on their heads, pedaling these contraptions down the sidewalk. But you never saw a fat mailman! I only saw these on city routes, out in the burbs where I lived they used "mailsters", a 3-wheeled motor scooter which were easier to deliver longer routes with rural-style mailboxes out by the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami