Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,582 times

Advertisements

Hi! I just scored a major promotion and will be relocating to Miami from Dallas, TX. I am a single mother who will be taking my 13 y/o son and 10 y/o daughter with me. I have lived in Dallas my entire life and have never been any father down Florida than Panama City Beach. I am terrified, but I refuse to let my fear keep me from being able to provide a better life for my children.

My company is located on the island of Key Biscayne. I have been trying to find an affordable area for me to rent a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment. I will be making 44,000/year. Everything I have seen so far, even places up to 45 minutes away from my job seem to be so expensive.

Does anyone now of an affordable, yet decent area in which I could look to rent? I would greatly appreciate any assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,128,739 times
You might want to see if you can renegotiate that raise. To live in Miami with 2 kids, you'll need twice that much to be able to live comfortably. If they can't come up significantly, you should stay where you are.
If your company has offices in Key Biscayne, which is some of the most expensive real estate in South Florida, they should be able to up your pay.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,752,353 times
Although I do know of families that make it at 44 k a year they live in very working class areas and the schools are not that good. 44k in Texas is not the same as 44k in Miami and areas that are decent enough that you could afford a 2 to 3 bedroom house or apartment would be a huge commute to key Biscayne.

I would really think about this, considering that COL in Miami is not that cheap at all, like research car insurance which most like double, rents which anything decent for a 2 bed room apartment in the most outermost Kendall area or deeper south might run at least 1600 a month.

If you find those areas look into the schools which your kids are looking into middle and high schools which tend to be the grades that you have to be careful about.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,489,328 times
Miami is one of the more expensive places to live in this country. Coming from Dallas, you'll be in a little shock at what you can't get for your money. Expect your car insurance to double from what your paying in Dallas.

Key Biscayne is one of the best places to live in Miami, meaning it's expensive. $44,000 like others have said, isn't going to get you in good schools most likely. I'd suggest looking into Southern Broward County as it will be cheaper than Miami-Dade County, but the commute to Key Biscayne will be a nightmare.

Kendall would be my suggestion, just for the fact you'll find a variety of different housing options and housing pricing. I'd look at everything between Kendall and Key Biscayne too see if there was anything in your budget. Just remember when you are looking at Miami neighborhoods, you'll find nice areas next to not so nice areas. So when you see cheaper housing lets say in Coconut Grove for instance, that is probably a red flag that its closer to the not so nice area of Coconut Grove.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM

15,005 posts, read 12,212,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgooding View Post
Hi! I just scored a major promotion and will be relocating to Miami from Dallas, TX. I am a single mother who will be taking my 13 y/o son and 10 y/o daughter with me. I have lived in Dallas my entire life and have never been any father down Florida than Panama City Beach. I am terrified, but I refuse to let my fear keep me from being able to provide a better life for my children.

My company is located on the island of Key Biscayne. I have been trying to find an affordable area for me to rent a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment. I will be making 44,000/year. Everything I have seen so far, even places up to 45 minutes away from my job seem to be so expensive.

Does anyone now of an affordable, yet decent area in which I could look to rent? I would greatly appreciate any assistance!
As others have said, the cost of living is pretty high in Miami, and a salary of $44,000/annually isn't really enough to cover the expenses you'll have in Miami.

I know of employers who provide higher "locality pay" for their employees who live in areas where the cost of living is higher, and that includes Miami. From what I've seen it's usually somewhere between 10 and 15% higher than the base pay for a given position in the company elsewhere.

I'd suggest maybe you approach your employer and see about getting that locality pay added to your salary- when you think about it, depending on how badly your company needs someone in its Key Biscayne location, it behooves them to make it possible for an employee to live in Miami. Anyone else who might take that position at that salary would be in the same boat.

I've actually seen positions go unfilled because employees could not afford to live in Miami.

Good luck to you! And congratulations on your promotion, I hope it works out for you and your family.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 69,216 times
I've never been in Dallas and I'm not sure what the cost of living is there, but according to various cost of living calculators you can find online, it's safe to say that cost of living in Miami is about 12-15% higher than Dallas. Though that really doesn't factor that housing cost is actually more than double in Miami than Dallas. Unfortunately, with your salary you won't find any decent housing options less than at least 45 minutes to 1 hour commute from Key Biscayne. Also, again I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but good schools are hard to come by in areas where your salary would allow to rent/own a decent and comftortable place, unless you're willing to have a commute closer to 2 hours each way. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:44 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,847,297 times
Key Biscayne is a great place. But.

I doubt you can find anything on Key Biscayne that will be commensurate with your salary, unfortunately.

And if you find something outside of Key Biscayne, it will be far enough, so you will spend a lot of your salary on commuting costs. The tolls alone, to get onto Key Biscayne will eat a chunk of your salary.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM

17,428 posts, read 22,186,203 times
visuals help here:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M73448-34244
3/2 2100 sq ft on 1/4 acre is 242K

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...57-41800?row=6
1/1 715 sq ft condo in a 45+ yr old building with no views is 315K

Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,957,287 times
move and live in Goulds

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,489,328 times
Goulds is a bad area, fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami