Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenlolasmom32 View Post
Thanks for all the information. At this time, our children are 2 1/2 and 1, so school is still a ways off, however, I don't like to move frequently, therefore; I'd rather be settled in a community that offers a great school district.

We like Palm Beach and Boca, but were really wanting be closer to Miami, therefore; are really looking for a community no more than 30 - 45 minutes from the city and somewhere that offers shopping, dining, and the convenience to the beach. Currently we live less than 1 mile from the beach, which is nice, but it's just not warm enough for me here in Ponte Vedra, and we're not real happy w/ Jacksonville, want a city that offers more in regards to the arts, shopping, dining and more.

As I said, I know almost nothing about the area and burbs, but what about Coconut Grove? Too Tony Montana??? lol......curious as I knew someone that moved there 5-6 years ago. I understand that Biscayne Bay is super nice, but I'm pretty sure that's out of our price range.

Also...if you tell more that one can get more for their money closer to Palm Beach, then I would be interested in looking there too!
The prices are pretty much the same south of PGA Boulevard (Palm Beach Gardens, way north all the way to downtown Miami). Generally the traditional style "suburbs" of Miami are located in southwestern Broward County and are actually closer to Fort Lauderdale, which will offer what you request. However, aside from some good elementary schools (Bayview area), you won't find an area with all-around good schools on the coast anywhere south of PGA Boulevard except for Boca Raton, thus the recommendation. All of the more family friendly places in Broward and Palm Beach County are located 15 to 30 minutes inland, although I think you guys would like Weston a lot, seeing your other criteria, which is about 45 minutes-hour to Miami in traffic, 30 minutes with no traffic. Pinecrest is a very nice area in Dade County, the schools still achieve decent rankings, and that's about a half hour to downtown Miami. Other than that, if you do some research into the schools, there really aren't any other established "Good" school districts in Dade County in comparison to other parts of the country (or other parts of Southeast Florida for that matter) besides Pinecrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
What is your budget for housing? That could help us in recommending somewhere to live for you. I must say that if you really value being close to shopping, dining, entertainment, and the beach that the communities of Coral Gables, Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay, and Key Biscayne are excellent options. I personally DO NOT find Weston, Parkland, or Boca Raton to be "nicer" than the best suburban areas of Miami-Dade.
I honestly don't disagree. The look of Weston vs Coral Gables, I would take the Gables anyday. Boca, Weston feel pretty flavorless, although I think Parkland's forest/greenbelt aesthetics are quite pleasant for a newer suburb. But in terms of the schools and crime rates, these areas in Dade are lacking compared to other suburban areas around the country with the exception of Pinecrest, which I think might be one of their best options. I'm not saying it's the "worst ever", but compared to where they live, the school system would probably be a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 208,764 times
Thanks again everyone.....as for housing, it's a wide range and it depends if I go back to work, so with that in mind, I'll give you a broad range, 350K - 700K......I would really like to be able to find something in the middle, 500K........again.....we love the area here in Ponte Vedra, minutes to the beach, several dining establishments, grocery and more. Our only complain is that the shopping is terrible, nothing compared to home in Chicago or Boston........and that's why we were thinking Miami.

We would like to find a rental for 6mos and upon arriving use that time to find a home to purchase, as the market doesn't seem to be stable just yet. Again......thanks for the info.....

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I would also like to suggest to you an area that no one has yet mentioned: Aventura, which is located halfway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale and is central to everything you want. Plus, it has good public schools and a VERY highly-rated charter elementary school. Houses in the area can be had for $500,000-$700,000 but you can get a very nice highrise condo with views with three bedrooms for $400,000-$600,000 which is within the middle of your range. If you're open to living in a condo instead of a house, Aventura is a great area for you and your family and offers a fairly "glamorous" lifestyle without costing big bucks. Aventura is not like Ponte Vedra Beach (it is mostly highrise condos and townhomes, with some homes in the western half) but it offers everything you're looking for and is right on the water.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Except for the "not costing big bucks" part (the whole region does to me), I agree with crispy (sorry, I just had to ). What middle and high schools is that area zoned for? Highland Oaks? Krop? I would like to look them up.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Virginia A. Boone-Highland Oaks Elementary School: Virginia A Boone-Highland Oaks School - Miami, Florida - FL - school overview
Highland Oaks Middle School: Highland Oaks Middle School - North Miami Beach, Florida - FL - school overview
Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School: Dr Michael M. Krop Senior High School - Miami, Florida - FL - school overview

Also, I have heard good things about Aventura City of Excellence Charter (Elementary) School: Aventura City of Excellence School - Aventura, Florida - FL - school overview

If I had a child and lived in the area I would send him to any of these schools... all highly rated and in a nice area.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
After reading your follow up posts, allow me to make a new suggestion. Start by looking in Coconut Grove, which would obviously be the higher end of your budget. Only consider homes EAST of SW 32nd Ave....all the way up to the Rickenback Causeway, which technically isn't Coconut Grove anymore. If you find a cheap home here, beware. Prob. West Grove or ghetto adjacent, and I would not recommend that. I am sure you will find NICE, small homes with character, in a great location near everyting you want within your upper price range here.

If the prices are too high, cross U.S. 1 and look in Silver Bluff and Shenandoah, specifically from SW 16 St. south to U.S. 1, bordered by SW 12 Ave on the east and SW 27th Ave. on the West. Coral Way cuts through this area with a boulevard full of giant Banyan Trees. The area is going through a gorth spurt with many new high rise condos on the major thrououfares, but the secondary streets are relatively quiet (for Miami). The prices here will be lower, much closer to the 500K, depending on the exact house. The local Elementary school is Coral Way Elelem....and is a great school. The Middle School is Shenandoah, which is good by MIAMI standards...not bad, but better than the majority. The High School would be Miami High...but that is at least 10 years down the road...and a lot can change between now and then...so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, you can consider the Roads, which is closer to downtown (the other side os SW 12 Ave), but to me it is overpriced and home to too many tear downs and replacements with McMansions.

This whole area is near the Metrorail for easy access to shopping at Dadeland....or you can drive there. The closest beach would be Key Biscayne, a 10 minute drive....so check out these places, but try to stick within the areas I outlined as to not waste your time in areas devoid of trees, tacky track housing and paved over lots. This area is really a hidden gem, and is getting expensive, but if you have the money, check them out.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
After reading your follow up posts, allow me to make a new suggestion. Start by looking in Coconut Grove, which would obviously be the higher end of your budget. Only consider homes EAST of SW 32nd Ave....all the way up to the Rickenback Causeway, which technically isn't Coconut Grove anymore. If you find a cheap home here, beware. Prob. West Grove or ghetto adjacent, and I would not recommend that. I am sure you will find NICE, small homes with character, in a great location near everyting you want within your upper price range here.

If the prices are too high, cross U.S. 1 and look in Silver Bluff and Shenandoah, specifically from SW 16 St. south to U.S. 1, bordered by SW 12 Ave on the east and SW 27th Ave. on the West. Coral Way cuts through this area with a boulevard full of giant Banyan Trees. The area is going through a gorth spurt with many new high rise condos on the major thrououfares, but the secondary streets are relatively quiet (for Miami). The prices here will be lower, much closer to the 500K, depending on the exact house. The local Elementary school is Coral Way Elelem....and is a great school. The Middle School is Shenandoah, which is good by MIAMI standards...not bad, but better than the majority. The High School would be Miami High...but that is at least 10 years down the road...and a lot can change between now and then...so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, you can consider the Roads, which is closer to downtown (the other side os SW 12 Ave), but to me it is overpriced and home to too many tear downs and replacements with McMansions.

This whole area is near the Metrorail for easy access to shopping at Dadeland....or you can drive there. The closest beach would be Key Biscayne, a 10 minute drive....so check out these places, but try to stick within the areas I outlined as to not waste your time in areas devoid of trees, tacky track housing and paved over lots. This area is really a hidden gem, and is getting expensive, but if you have the money, check them out.
Good post and good advice ... my man ... actually those are still nice areas .

Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Ponte Verde to ?

Hi - I live in Boca Raton in probably the most normal neighborhood there. It is all families, neighbors know each other, etc. We love it and we love our neighbors. My son, who is now 18, told me the night of his high school prom, that he was so thankful we stayed in the same community. He has had lifelong friends and is thriving. He goes to community college, works and just has his head on straight! Boca is very similar in many ways to Naples. Weston is also very nice. There are also nice neighborhoods in east Broward and we have several friends and clients in Miami-Dade and Broward who love where they live and are very happy.

Moderator cut: advertising is not allowed

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: cut the advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami