Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
Simple Answer - Miami's real estate is almost 100% deceptive. The Miami market is foreign driven. You wait until the foreigners jump ship or the next Andrew rolls in to town. Like I said, I consider most of Dade County and the Beaches AAA Ball land-I live in the NFL-It is that simple... But if you are happy my friend then do what you want. Have a good one!
Nothing like a Cat2+ enema to clear the crap I always say!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:48 AM

289 posts, read 305,512 times
Quote:
You live in Switzerland and South Beach? Hard to believe this ... It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and say anything. I suppose you're also a Formula One Driver part-time? I'm typing this from Leblon right now on Dias Ferreira street (Mods can check this easily). Insecurity? Just got back from a great and satisfying evening at one of Rio's famous Boates

Back to topic - If SoBe is so awesome then why doesn't Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath, Jack Nicklaus or Burt Reynolds live there?
Because unless you're 22, you don't want to live where the party is. That's just common sense, and is not at all different than any other city in the world. Every city has an entertainment district, and with very few exceptions, most adults don't live there. Think East Village in Manhattan, or Shibuya in Tokyo, or downtown LA, or the Mission in SF, etc. Once you hit about 25, it just gets to be a chore to live in the middle of a non-stop party, so you move to somewhere that's still close but a little quieter and more convenient.

South Beach is great, if you want to have a stupid time and get completely trashed and make an ass out of yourself. As I get older, I find myself gravitating a little bit north towards Mid beach and the higher end hotel bars, but it's still fun when the mood takes me.

That said, there are still some ludicrously expensive places in SoBe. Especially in SoFi, which is completely different from SoBe in every way.

Also, there are a lot of old, bitter racists in Miami. This thread has really been eye-opening, in that regard. There are also a lot of idiots. Anyone who thinks Miami Beach was somehow better in the '70s seems completely ignorant of history. In the '70's, Miami Beach was essentially a lower middle class retirement community. There was no tourism to speak of. There was no economy to speak of. If anything, things are way better now than at any time in the past. There's more investment, there's more tourism, there's more money being spent.

Also, anyone who thinks that Vegas has less problems than Miami...well, I don't know if they're just idiots, have never been to Vegas, or if they have have never left their hotel/resort. I go to Vegas several times a year for various conferences, and Vegas is an absolute **** hole once you leave the strip. Hell, even parts of the strip are super sketchy. The entire block around the Golden Nugget/IP(sorry, Quad now) is a redneck trash block party. Off-strip, Vegas is a sad blue-collar town drowning in meth and gang violence.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM

699 posts, read 611,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Because unless you're 22, you don't want to live where the party is. That's just common sense, and is not at all different than any other city in the world. Every city has an entertainment district, and with very few exceptions, most adults don't live there. Think East Village in Manhattan, or Shibuya in Tokyo, or downtown LA, or the Mission in SF, etc. Once you hit about 25, it just gets to be a chore to live in the middle of a non-stop party, so you move to somewhere that's still close but a little quieter and more convenient.
Just to nitpick but Downtown LA was never a party spot in any shape or form. When I lived in LA, DT was practically considered a homeless shelter, where all you could see at night were convicts and homeless. Now it's gentrifying quite nicely, but still has a long way to go. As for Tokyo, I'd say Shinjuku is more the party sport than Shibuya but I'm less familiar with that city. Don't know too much about the rest since I've been there couple times apiece.

Anyways, there is a good reason for celebrities not to live in SoBe, there is simply no privacy here. Celebrities tend to live on the Venetian islands, Fisher Island, or big homes on the more residential side of SoBe north of Dade blvd, or in mid-beach as you say.

That being said, SoBe has an interesting mix of very expensive condominiums (3 mill a pop) and fairly affordable (half a mil) making it one of the more mixed zones in all of South Florida. And that's why I actually love it, there is so much energy here. I'm not a party animal by any means, I rarely drink let alone get 'trashed' or do drugs unless you count caffeine. But I love the atmosphere of SoBe and midbeach is just blah for me. MidBeach is also not as urban as SoBe.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM

289 posts, read 305,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Just to nitpick but Downtown LA was never a party spot in any shape or form. When I lived in LA, DT was practically considered a homeless shelter, where all you could see at night were convicts and homeless. Now it's gentrifying quite nicely, but still has a long way to go. As for Tokyo, I'd say Shinjuku is more the party sport than Shibuya but I'm less familiar with that city. Don't know too much about the rest since I've been there couple times apiece.

Anyways, there is a good reason for celebrities not to live in SoBe, there is simply no privacy here. Celebrities tend to live on the Venetian islands, Fisher Island, or big homes on the more residential side of SoBe north of Dade blvd, or in mid-beach as you say.

That being said, SoBe has an interesting mix of very expensive condominiums (3 mill a pop) and fairly affordable (half a mil) making it one of the more mixed zones in all of South Florida. And that's why I actually love it, there is so much energy here. I'm not a party animal by any means, I rarely drink let alone get 'trashed' or do drugs unless you count caffeine. But I love the atmosphere of SoBe and midbeach is just blah for me. MidBeach is also not as urban as SoBe.
You're right about downtown LA, I guess it's only recently that it's turned into the cool place to be, though I've only been there recently, so that's my experience.

I think we're in full agreement about SoBe, though, just coming at it from two different directions. The ludicrously wealthy want to live in peace and quiet and comfort. A lot of that is missing in SoBe, at least on the peace and quiet front. Personally, I love SoBe. The energy really is infectious, and it's fun. Anyone who thinks that there is a "problem" with South Beach is either a racist or a grumpy old person who prefers the days when it was dilapidated retirement condos and the most exciting thing going on was shuffleboard. I don't think anyone with half a brain misses those days. Although I will say, having met some people who retired after selling their SoBe property recently that they bought in the 70's, I do wish 1970s prices were back.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,329 times
Haven't been to South Beach in a while, and probably would not go again for a while longer. For one, I haven't been into the "night club" scene for a long time now. Second, when I have been there in recent years, it is a whole different feeling than when South Beach first became an attractive place for people to go out to bar and club hop around 1990. Back then you would see occasional problems, but not the trashy crowd that I have seen during my last few visits there.

In all honesty though, the whole Greater Miami area is deteriorating very fast. This ranges from poor customer service, terrible traffic and rude drivers, to what is becoming a substandard quality of life in many areas in Miami-Dade. Yes, there are still nice areas and neighborhoods in Miami. However, areas that were considered decent and appealing 20-30 years ago, has drastically changed for the worse.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:16 PM

301 posts, read 369,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
In all honesty though, the whole Greater Miami area is deteriorating very fast. This ranges from poor customer service, terrible traffic and rude drivers, to what is becoming a substandard quality of life in many areas in Miami-Dade. Yes, there are still nice areas and neighborhoods in Miami. However, areas that were considered decent and appealing 20-30 years ago, has drastically changed for the worse.
Another honest (and very true) post about Miami.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
I was under the impression Arod lives in SoFi as does Peyton Manning, at Continuum. Jeremy Shockey has his penthouse at Waverly up for sale.

How was Rio?...I was there in April and always stay in Leblon though Rio, outside of Carnaval and Reveillon, is ver laid back in terms of nightlife. Did you get a chance to check out Formidable Bistrot or CT Boucherie?...my night in Leblon ends up as a great meal followed by a cigar at Esch Cafe...Rio is all about the beach whereas as SP is much more happening at night. As for boates, I found the pickings slimmer than in years past--maybe because of their economy they have fled to Europe??

Old 12-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I was under the impression Arod lives in SoFi as does Peyton Manning, at Continuum. Jeremy Shockey has his penthouse at Waverly up for sale.
Those are investments period. None of these people actually live in SoBe. They know better.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Arod is from Florida....I'm sure he has multiple properties he lives/stays in throughout the year.

Quote:
Those are investments period. None of these people actually live in SoBe. They know better.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Arod is from Florida....I'm sure he has multiple properties he lives/stays in throughout the year.
Your comment is not totally accurate. Arod had a nice home on the Bay in Coral Gables but wife got it from the divorce-Lol. Next, he lived up in my neck of the woods because I used to see him half drunk at the Blue Martini on Sunrise. Today, I hear he's lost half of his fortune-Not surprising as most professional athletes end up broke anyway, lol. Arod would never live in SoBe. Only posers, gullible tourists and incompetent wealthy immigrants live in Miami Beach. They eventually move out and up north to where the real money is, Palm Beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami