Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 17,985 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide how much coverage amounts I should buy.

I know that this is relative to one's assets and ability to pay for insurance, so I am not expecting to get a definitive answer. I am looking to see what others feel is adequate or gives you peace of mind while living in Florida, specifically in Miami where there a many hit a runs, uninsured, careless drivers, insurance fraud, etc..

If you may, what are your limits for:

Bodily Injury Liability
Property Damage Liability
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Do you have any other add ons like Medical Payments or Additional Personal Injury Protection?

Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I live in Central Florida. My ins went up so much when I moved here last year. That I had to make decisions concerning this outrageous bill. I had to drop coverages and limits. I normally would carry 100000. 300000. I was told I'd pay in the range of $2500 to $3000 a year in Lakeland, Fla with $500 deductible. This is with USAA. The other companies were higher. I only have a Nissan Versa. I said no way. I have a perfect record as well as paying my ins. So I had to take just above state limits and I'm paying close to $1500 a year. It has gone up $100 for my 6 month Aug renewal . I'm not comfortable with such low coverages, for such a high price. Between the high cost of car ins, and not being able to find an insurer for my home. I'm finding Fla is not a good fit for me in retirement. I simply will not live in state that won't deal with its insurance problems. I think these prices are a disgrace, and a symptom of other problems in the population. Ins is much higher here than Calif. That should tell you something about Fla.

I don't see how many afford the car ins. Seems like a state with a high percentage of lower income residents, at least in central Fla.

If ins is this high in Lakeland, I can only imagine what it is n So Fla. I would not recommend only carrying the minimum state ins requirements. At least 100000 coverages would be my recommendation, and more if you can afford it.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 AM

604 posts, read 618,850 times
I currently have:

Bodily Injury Liability $25,000 per person/$50,000 per occurrence
Property Damage Liability $50,000 per occurrence
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - Nonstacked $10,000 per person/$20,000 per occurrence

plus PIP and 'medical payments' to cover the health insurance deductible.

Never had an accident, so I don't know if those limits are any good.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:03 AM

72 posts, read 76,901 times
Bodily injury 100/300k
Property Famage Liability 100k
Uninsured motorist/non stacked 20/40k
Comprehensive $50 deductible
Collision $500 deductible
Full Road side assistance
Rental reimburse $30/day

1290.30/6 months for 2 large SUV's

We have Geico, totally clean driving records and our vehicles are both 9 years old. Our insurance prices more than doubled when we moved here to South Florida last year. It was shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: