Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times

Advertisements

Not that everyone is negative, but Miami is notorious for passing kids who are failing to make their schools look better. For example, I went to Miami Beach Senior High when Dr.Sidner was a principal, she did wonderful things and it's sad that she passed away. In my graduating class, I won't say the year, but the graduation rate was 20%. The administration and teachers bumped that to 70%! there were kids getting their diplomas and they skipped school 90% of the time or failed 2 classes but the teachers would give them a passing grade (my friend went from 40% to 60%) and he skipped most of the time. I keep in touch with teachers from MBSH and I have friends who have become teachers in other schools and they tell me how they inflate kids grades and are ENCOURAGED to do so by administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 PM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
I've come to suspect that most of the people hanging around this forum actually live up in Broward... apparently there's so little to do up there, they feel compelled to comment on our board instead of their own.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
This is actually amazing for an urban district.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 AM

27 posts, read 37,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Not that everyone is negative, but Miami is notorious for passing kids who are failing to make their schools look better. For example, I went to Miami Beach Senior High when Dr.Sidner was a principal, she did wonderful things and it's sad that she passed away. In my graduating class, I won't say the year, but the graduation rate was 20%. The administration and teachers bumped that to 70%! there were kids getting their diplomas and they skipped school 90% of the time or failed 2 classes but the teachers would give them a passing grade (my friend went from 40% to 60%) and he skipped most of the time. I keep in touch with teachers from MBSH and I have friends who have become teachers in other schools and they tell me how they inflate kids grades and are ENCOURAGED to do so by administration.
Dude, that's everywhere, not unique to Florida. My mom was a high school English teacher.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:05 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The Miami forum has always been negative even when faced with good news.
I started a thread about crime dropping over 5% in a year and received 1 response!
Some of the forumers here think Miami is equivalent to Hell on Earth so nothing positive ever happens here according to them.

I love Miami, I just wouldn't be keen on raising a family there if I had the option of Broward or Palm Beach also. So when they start bragging about their schools... we ALL know that Miami has terrible schools... It just smells "fishy". Yes, I'll agree that overall it's good news, but with all the focus on tests and moving students around to fake scores, I just don't necessarily believe it.

To be fair, Broward does the same. Kind of like Magnet Schools. They put the kids in the same "school" but completely segregate them. Boosts scores...

The reality is you don't send kids to a "school district" - you move into a neighborhood for a specific school. So countywide results are somewhat misleading and useless.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I've come to suspect that most of the people hanging around this forum actually live up in Broward... apparently there's so little to do up there, they feel compelled to comment on our board instead of their own.

I actually think "South Florida" should be a single forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami