Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the jobs are like. What are the good firms to look for? What's the avg. pay scale compared to other parts of the country? Looking for not only lawyer stats but paralegal, secretary also. Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 PM

41 posts, read 257,566 times
If you are a little more specific, I may be able to get a better idea of what you are looking for and can point you in the right direction. What are you looking for? Large, medium or small firm? Areas of law?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Most law offices in Miami are in downtown, as that's where all the government jobs, courts, banks and office headquarters are.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 32,579 times
I've been working as a paralegal for about 4 years. I work with a small firm near the criminal justice building and earn $45k a year plus benes.
Some friends of mine earn around the same while others earn a bit less. It varies from $30-$50 depending on your firm.
I have a friend who is a JA at the criminal courthouse and her starting salary was $31k.
Hope that helps
If you want any more info, let me know =)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM

hi guys, neglected to come back to this post!

OK, specifics. I'm in a big firm now, about 1,000 of us. I can handle most types of law, except no criminal. All civil sector. Probate, estate, construction litigation, defense/plaintiff. I can do personal injury/divorce/bankruptcy but I absolutely loathe those fields.

So I'll be looking for big firms, downtown Brickell area. Probably not interested in govt. or courts as they always seem to pay less than the firms.

I'm working as a legal secretary, 37.5 hours a week -- $52K after 1 1/2 years. Over here, secretaries make more than paralegals. I am paralegal certified. Associate in General Law, B.A. in Sociology.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Several years ago I actually had an offer to study law at the University of Miami. I visited Miami, and while I fell in love with the city, I decided against attending - not only UM but law school in general. From what I understand, Miami's legal market is rather weak for a city of its size, as a lot of the big firms handle Miami work without actually maintaining an office there. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I was given. Also, like a lot of other industries, salaries tend to be rather weak. Given that law school is always local (unless you go to a Top 10 school), I didn't really want to take on the debt to face a less than hot market.

I can't speak for paralegals and legal secretaries, but I imagine the market would be similar for that of attorneys. If you have a job lined up ahead of time that will pay the kind of salary you want, then by all means go for it. I wouldn't move to Miami without an offer hoping to line up a legal job after the fact.

Best of luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
There is a paralegal association in Miami, South Florida Paralegal Association (http://www.sfpa.info/site/ - broken link), South Florida Paralegal Association. If you go to that web site, you'll see a link on the left "Board Members." There is an employment committee chair listed there, and if you contact her and tell her you are looking to move to Miami, I know she will be happy to tell you some general wage information and maybe even a couple of firms she's aware of that are looking. You get access to their job bank if you become a member.

FYI, paralegals in Florida just, as of March 1, started to register with the Florida Bar Association as part of regulation legislation just passed last year. It's volunteer registration, not mandatory.

See also the Paralegal Association of Florida (www.paf.org I think). They don't have a presence in Miami, but they are in South Florida and have chapters all over Florida, and they might be able to help you with jobs, too if you call them.

My firm transferred me to help kick off our new Miami office during 1986 for a year, and the wages were $10,000 higher than elsewhere at that time, but so were rents and just getting around town--quite interesting for an old farm girl like me.

You won't have any problems. Good luck on your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
hi guys, neglected to come back to this post!

OK, specifics. I'm in a big firm now, about 1,000 of us. I can handle most types of law, except no criminal. All civil sector. Probate, estate, construction litigation, defense/plaintiff. I can do personal injury/divorce/bankruptcy but I absolutely loathe those fields.

So I'll be looking for big firms, downtown Brickell area. Probably not interested in govt. or courts as they always seem to pay less than the firms.

I'm working as a legal secretary, 37.5 hours a week -- $52K after 1 1/2 years. Over here, secretaries make more than paralegals. I am paralegal certified. Associate in General Law, B.A. in Sociology.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Stone: Interesting. I'm not looking to be a lawyer. I've been in the field about 10 yrs. now. I want to stay in law, but not be a lawyer. The debt of law school to me is not such a big deal. Not nearly as much a deal as the hours they work, the b.s. they put up with in firms, the stiff competition, etc. Screw that. I enjoy leaving at 5pm every day and I don't work weekends.

I suspect you are right about wages being less than other cities.

Carolac: Thanks for the helpful links, they really are helpful. I can do either paralegal or secretary work, which makes that a bit easier since I can choose. I know rents will be high, but luckily we don't have kids and are both working professionals, so money is not as much an issue. We have huge savings and very little debt. (Other posters: I don't want to hear your b.s. about how we won't make it, etc.)

There are firms in my city that are also located in Miami, I could possibly transfer out there. Either way, your posts were helpful, and I'll keep poking around to figure out salaries. Thanks guys!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
I can do personal injury/divorce/bankruptcy but I absolutely loathe those fields.
I think you would have to be crazy not to loathe them. It's the main reason I quit doing pro bono work: nothing but icky Family Law.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Stone: Interesting. I'm not looking to be a lawyer. I've been in the field about 10 yrs. now. I want to stay in law, but not be a lawyer. The debt of law school to me is not such a big deal. Not nearly as much a deal as the hours they work, the b.s. they put up with in firms, the stiff competition, etc. Screw that. I enjoy leaving at 5pm every day and I don't work weekends.

You can be a lawyer, make a decent salary and do none of those things.....I leave at 5pm every day (or earlier, if I feel like it) and work 35-40 hours/week. In-house counsel is a good gig if you can get on with a decent organization. MUCH more like a regular job, and very helpful if like me you have small children that you do not want to grow up to hate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami