Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

I sure hope this poster comes back on and lets us know which place he has chosen to bring his family and live.
Of course, we could get a note that says, "NO, thanks. Moved to California...." But it would be nice. I love follow ups.

I enjoyed this thread. I am a native central floridian, have only driven through Miami a few times and have no desire to live there. My son spent almost 5 years there in a job capacity with the Florida National Guard and he loved it. Still has his Puerto Rican cookbook and loves Caribbean food. (Now lives in St Augustine).

Yep. Excellent thread. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 08:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
In Miami-Dade, from what I understand, all the magnets have basic requirements like GPA, teacher recs, maybe test scores or auditions for visual arts/music magnets. Then all the qualified candidates are put in a pool and spots are selected by lottery. You can apply to multiple magnets but it's not like NYC where you take the test and the top score gets in on merit. You aren't guaranteed a spot on merit. There's a chance element to it.

Now, certain magnets like MAST have resident exemptions, so Key Biscayne residents can send their kids there without the lottery pool.

I like the Jupiter North Palm Beach/Martin County area a lot. There's a small developing biotech industry with Scripps Florida leading the way. A lot of interesting scientists doing cutting edge research on cancer and COVID19 now. The educational levels is a lot better in Palm Beach County and is more a family friendly area. Schools are good and there is a TON of New York money, especially hedge funds and wall street firms relocating for tax purposes in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnativeIcantdrive View Post
Thanks so much, Marc and logybogy. I’m seeing very nice new construction homes in the Grove ~$2.5M, but if I have to deal with rude people all day, that sucks.

With the virus throwing everything up into the air, we are not definitely tied anywhere for work, though it seems like a Miami/South BEach office is most likely. Who knows if going to an office will be necessary anymore? Though I really wouldn't want to be more than 20 min from work or school.

I was born and raised in NYC, but loooooove the big box stores like Target, Costco, etc., which are novelties to me

Schools: I keep hearing conflicting things about the public schools’ quality. How are magnet programs special if theyr’e not merit-based? And I’m ok with paying private school tuition, but want a strong education with hardworking classmates, not entitled rich kids. In NYC, it’s a rat race for the ‘opportunity’ to fork over $60k for Kindergarten. No exaggeration. There’s way more applicants than spots in NY private schools.

I looked at Broward and Palm Beach Counties, but it seems like the private school game is not as strong there as in Miami, and I don’t know if the public schools are better than Miami-Dade ones or not. Our kids are in preschool and just entered elementary.

Which area/county/city would be most suitable for a young, wealthy (cringe) but not flashy, socially-progressive, half-Asian family? Or any area with the least rude/rough around the edges people that will get on your nerves eventually? From my previous research, it seems like the Grove and Gables are top contenders, along with South Miami, which seems to be up-and-coming? In NY, we live in a neighborhood that’s in the middle of family-focused and hip, and would like to find similar. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Obviously we weren't aware of your budget but if $2.5ML is your ideal range and can afford private school, then you'll be just fine. People have a big misconception about schools in Miami and invite you to search this forum as we had a lively debate on schools just a few months ago before Covid.

Look up top schools in the U.S and top schools in FL, you'll see that any that make the list are in Miami.
Ransom Academy is like what you mentioned in NYC but more seats available. One of the top private schools in the country and it sends the most kids to ivy league schools (per capita) than any other school in Florida..and its located in the Grove!

MAST academy is great and sounds like your budget will allow you to live in Key Biscayne, which is an island paradise!

Definitely look up US News & World report top schools by state and by the country.

Regarding NYC, if you find that thread I mentioned above, the lady who was debating the same thing you were with a similar budget was also from NYC and mentioned the rat race and difficulty about getting kids into good schools there. Here, its not that crazy. Ransom is tough, sure but from what I've read and heard about NYC, it isn't on that level.

Also - if you have $2.5ML, you should consider the Gables more since you can get a really nice home in a very quiet part of the gables.

South Beach is great and has an excellent A+ elementary school. But after 5th grade, I'd probably move or have one of you commute your child to Ransom for grades 6-12.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:32 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Key Biscayne and Miami Beach are awesome areas. $2.5 M gives you plenty of options especially for condos. You can get some pretty sweet units south of fifth on Miami Beach with that budget. Like Marc said, South Pointe Elementary is great and you can do Ransom for 6-12. It's pretty awesome having the spectacular water views of government cut with the cruise ships passing by and being able to walk to South Pointe Park and the beach.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:34 AM

16 posts, read 13,886 times
Thanks to both of you. I’m going to start a new thread on this topic so that I don’t continue to hijack this one, but I really look forward to hearing more from you!

Old 03-10-2022, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 14,564 times
Default Mean as Rattlesnakes

I moved to south Florida with my wife two years ago! I was not keen on the idea and moved here for her. Two years later, and in a year hope to God, we will be out of this Miserable place! The people are meaner than rattle snakes, mostly the white people! They drive like maniacs, the weather is horrendous for most of the year, and the property taxes are some of the highest in Florida were I live! You can not get out and walk for most of the year because the humidity is unbearable. We will be retiring to the land of eternal spring, where living is cheap, there are no storms, hurricanes, blizzards, tornados, earthquakes, and the people are friendly and always eager to be a friend unlike the rude confrontational, people that live here in south Florida. Just my two cents!

Old 03-10-2022, 11:40 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1ray View Post
We will be retiring to the land of,,,,,,,,,,,
Where is that?

Old 03-10-2022, 11:53 AM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
I moved to south Florida with my wife two years ago! I was not keen on the idea and moved here for her. Two years later, and in a year hope to God, we will be out of this Miserable place! The people are meaner than rattle snakes, mostly the white people! They drive like maniacs, the weather is horrendous for most of the year, and the property taxes are some of the highest in Florida were I live! You can not get out and walk for most of the year because the humidity is unbearable. We will be retiring to the land of eternal spring, where living is cheap, there are no storms, hurricanes, blizzards, tornados, earthquakes, and the people are friendly and always eager to be a friend unlike the rude confrontational, people that live here in south Florida. Just my two cents!
Where is that, or do you not want to say so people won't inundate the place?

Back to the original question though - I think the larger the city, the less friendly the people are. And Miami and basically all of south Florida is a big city.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Where is that?
It sounds like the place you go to after you kick the bucket!

Quote:
You get back what you give, I truly believe that.

I moved to Miami 7 years ago, I don't find it horrible, I actually like where I live. Do I wish everyone spoke 100% English, yes... but I wanted to learn Spanish, now that I'm retired, maybe I'll do just that.

You know the saying parker1ray, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Old 03-11-2022, 07:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
It sounds like the place you go to after you kick the bucket!

You get back what you give, I truly believe that.

I moved to Miami 7 years ago, I don't find it horrible, I actually like where I live. Do I wish everyone spoke 100% English, yes... but I wanted to learn Spanish, now that I'm retired, maybe I'll do just that.

You know the saying parker1ray, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
SanyBelle, you’re the greatest!

I had already responded upthread but, yeah, I find that common complaints are more an expression of problems within one’s self than perceived external circumstances.

C’mon, big city, what should one expect? And that way in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami