Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times

Advertisements

Yup...I love the international vibe...and most of the people where I live and I run into on a daily basis are clean cut professionals—doesn’t matter to me if they are white, white hispanic, Asian, European, Canadian, NY transplants or whatever.

Reminds me of when I lived in, then, conservative white Orange County, CA (more mixed now)...whenever I tried getting friends to go with me up to more diversified LA they would respond with “we prefer it here where it is clean and safe”....talk about a dog whistle. I used to tell them I prefer dirty and dangerous—more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a native of South Florida I am willing to wager if one lifts the lid and peers a little deeper it's not to so much about "rudeness" as it is a racist mentality. Strong words? Yep. Closer to reality however? You betcha.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM

482 posts, read 419,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
“we prefer it here where it is clean and safe”....talk about a dog whistle.
It must suck to live your life based upon making presumptions and being at the ready for any trigger word or phrase.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,867,041 times
People here are unfriendly because there is no common culture that unites everyone. People moved her and destroyed the local culture by importing the crap they moved here to escape. The grass is always greener on the other side but if you bring weeds with you and plant them sooner or later the grass will become weeds. People come here to escape high taxes yet we now have very high taxes. Why? Because they don't let go of the stupid crap that made them move here in the first place. People don't adapt. They just say stupid things like Back in NY or in my country.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Reminds me of when I lived in, then, conservative white Orange County, CA (more mixed now)...whenever I tried getting friends to go with me up to more diversified LA they would respond with “we prefer it here where it is clean and safe”....talk about a dog whistle. I used to tell them I prefer dirty and dangerous—more fun.
...I think you just said they were right???

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 AM

...and you lived where in OC and when ....or are you making an uninformed comment based on no experience whatsoever living in the area and as if there are no “clean and safe” areas in LA (Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, Bel Air, ad nauseum)...lol...try doing a search for John Birch society history and OC.

In the meantime, my life is great...in 2 days I am retiring early at only age 59 and will have even more time to enjoy my comfortable South Florida lifestyle ...thanks for presuming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
It must suck to live your life based upon making presumptions and being at the ready for any trigger word or phrase.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM

I think contributing to the “unfriendly” atmosphere are some/many native Floridians who resent having been priced out of their hometown by transplants (domestic and foreign) that have brought their wealth from elsewhere and have jacked up housing prices and overall COL while the local economy does not provide enough or as many higher paying opportunities as other large MSA’s while traffic worsens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
People here are unfriendly because there is no common culture that unites
everyone. People moved her and destroyed the local culture by importing the crap they moved here to escape. The grass is always greener on the other side but if you bring weeds with you and plant them sooner or later the grass will become weeds. People come here to escape high taxes yet we now have very high taxes. Why? Because they don't let go of the stupid crap that made them move here in the first place. People don't adapt. They just say stupid things like Back in NY or in my country.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
People here are unfriendly because there is no common culture that unites everyone. People moved her and destroyed the local culture by importing the crap they moved here to escape. The grass is always greener on the other side but if you bring weeds with you and plant them sooner or later the grass will become weeds. People come here to escape high taxes yet we now have very high taxes. Why? Because they don't let go of the stupid crap that made them move here in the first place. People don't adapt. They just say stupid things like Back in NY or in my country.
Yup.

Diversity: Great if you want a Cuban sandwich or a nice Italian dinner. Bad for social policy.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...and you lived where in OC and when ....or are you making an uninformed comment based on no experience whatsoever living in the area and as if there are no “clean and safe” areas in LA (Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, Bel Air, ad nauseum)...lol...try doing a search for John Birch society history and OC.

In the meantime, my life is great...in 2 days I am retiring early at only age 59 and will have even more time to enjoy my comfortable South Florida lifestyle ...thanks for presuming!!
I don't have to live where you have lived to know what you meant. Your own "dog whistle" blew loud and clear.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM

So you are an expert on an area that you’ve never lived in and an online stranger you’ve never met and I’m the presumptuous one...too funny, lol...keep ‘em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
I don't have to live where you have lived to know what you meant. Your own "dog whistle" blew loud and clear.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
Quote:
This is a very wise comment and very true.

As a Miami native I barely recall what Miami's culture was pre-Latin invasion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami