Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,929 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving shortly to the Miami area with my husband and two kids. I will most probably work in the Miami downtown area. Which would be the quickest commute, from Weston or Doral?

Overall, which city is better to raise a family, lower crime rate, education, etc.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,536 times
Weston is the more traditional residential city, Doral more of a buisness oriented city but also quite and safe. Both IMO will be great places for families, but the commute from Weston to Downtown Miami will be a little extreme while from Doral to Downtown it will be much quicker. Both cities are safe, low crime rates, and both have good schools.
I would go with Doral just because its already safe, and good for families but also because its better if you work Downtown.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
If you have to travel at traditional rush hour times the commute from Weston to Miami will be very long. Without any traffic it takes about 45 minutes to get from Weston to downtown Miami. If there is traffic that could easily double.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,315 times
Weston is a bit far from Downtown Miami and could easily be anywhere over an hour commute on really bad days. I'd suggest Doral, it's only about 20 minutes west from Downtown Miami, a lot closer and it still has a lot of the nice benefits of Weston. Good schools, very safe, suburban, low crime, etc. I'd definitely go with Doral.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
Weston is better than Doral in all aspects ( schools, safety, neighborhood,... ), but is more expensive than Doral. And Doral is much more close to Downtown Miami.

I would go with Weston, which is a very good neighborhood and I personally don't like very much Doral.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
but is more expensive than Doral.
I'm not even sure about that anymore. Doral is pretty overpriced with those 400 thousand dollar condos backing up to the landfill. You can actually buy a nice house with a pool and a little bit of land for 400k out here now. The depreciation rate seems to be faster out here (probably because of it's distance).

It is accurate to say Weston is a much better place to live. Nowhere in the state of Florida (or the entire southeast actually, sans Flower Mound, TX) is safer for it's size, the schools are honestly no comparison just between the way the district is run comparatively (FCAT scores aren't everything). The schools really aren't that good in Doral. Compared to surrounding communities they are, but not in comparison to most standards. They really aren't even that great in Weston (depends on the individual school). I'm not saying you couldn't make anything good out of it, but generally speaking the system in general is not great, but Weston is leaps and bounds ahead of Doral in school quality.

Now the OP asked which city has the lower crie rate, the better schools, family friendliness, etc, and if someone answered that question with Doral, you would seriously be cheating them. However, if they have a commute into downtown, they shouldn't look at Doral or Weston. They should be looking at Miami Shores or Pinecrest. They are both much more attractive communities (with charm and tree shaded streets, imagine that!) with better schools than Doral and a tad safer than Doral, and on top of that a much less brutal commute into Downtown.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-09-2008 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: woops, meant shores

Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM

147 posts, read 190,517 times
Traffic is KILLER from those two locations, because everybody is either going or coming from the same area to work downtown. I would try somewhere close to downtown.

See...
Miami Shores (single family areas)
Coral Gables (single family homes/condos)
Brickell Ave. (condos)

These places wil give you a 20 minute commute during rush hour as opposed to Doral (45 min-1 hour), and Weston (1 - 1.5 hours).

Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Weston has been overpriced since the start, but Doral was mostly a place where people dumped on the side of the road till it was developed. The quality of residences is extremely low, and being all built since the 90's, there are no nice homes with any open space. Doral in my opinon is worse that Weston, which I actually dislike as well. For the high price of Doral you would be better off in a suburban area like West Miami, which is also a dump but still better than Doral.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
Smile More suggestions of neighborhoods...

More expensive:

- Pinecrest / Palmetto Bay: very good neighborhoods, good schools ( elementary and middle schools ), safe, and about 20-30 minutes ( WITH LIGHT TRAFFIC ) from Downtown Miami.

- Key Biscayne: very good neighborhood, OK to good schools, very safe and about 20 minutes from Downtown.

- South Miami / Coconut Grove ( East of SW 32nd Ave ) / Coral Gables: good neighborhoods, fair to good schools, safe and about 20 minutes from Downtown.

Not so expensive:

- Miami Lakes: good neighborhood, fair to OK schools, safe, about 35 minutes from Downtown.

- East Kendall: good neighborhood, good schools, relatively safe, about 25-30 minutes from Downtown.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM

107 posts, read 367,089 times
where are you moving from? are you already accustomed to traffic? traffic is insane here. even from doral the commute will be insane. live close to work if you can. miami traffic is not as bad as LA, but it is only one notch below. traffic is a huge hit on quality of life imho. it steals your soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami