Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Julian, I agree with you, I happen to think that SFL is just as diverse as NYC (my hometown). I was amazed when I got off the plane in Ft. Lauderdale and saw a mix of just about every creed, and yes lots lived there too. Not to offend anyone, but I think that people may think because a large part of the populus in SFL speaks spanish, that we are all the same, but we are not. I assure you of that. Carribean spanish completely different from South American spanish in everyway, even dialect. Yes, for the most part we can all converse and understand one another, but our cultures are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Maybe you should learn what the Amendment #1 ballot question was about in Florida's November election. I talked to a lot of voters on election day, and I didn't find many people who understood many of them. I didn't find any who understood #1.
I'm glad you brought this up Cougar Beach. I can't believe how uneducated voters are when it came to Amendment #1. Seems like many people didn't take the time to go over the pros and cons of the amendment. It's clearly a racist law meant to keep Asians from owning land in Florida. Sure it's sort of a blue law, but trying to get it removed with the approval of a bunch of idiots seems like a daunting task. I berated all my voting friends about this on how they voted.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I'm glad you brought this up Cougar Beach. I can't believe how uneducated voters are when it came to Amendment #1. Seems like many people didn't take the time to go over the pros and cons of the amendment. It's clearly a racist law meant to keep Asians from owning land in Florida. Sure it's sort of a blue law, but trying to get it removed with the approval of a bunch of idiots seems like a daunting task. I berated all my voting friends about this on how they voted.
It actually goes back to the beginning of the 20th century. It was specifically aimed at Chinese immigrants. The U.S. has a history of vicious racism toward the Chinese who came here in the 1800's to build the railroads out west, among other things.

The ugly vestige of that racism lives on in Florida's Constitution, because our voters tend to vote on things about which they haven't a clue, and won't make the simplest effort to learn. That amendment as it stands is unenforceable under the U.S. Constitution, but it remains, a reminder of the imperfection of democracy.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Going back to the original question.."ASIANS IN MIAMI"...
I remember going to school with a large presence of classmates of chinese, cuban-chinese, filipino, japanese origin. I'm talking about some 30 years plus folks.
Granted, some were a mixture of asian caribbean origins but nevertheless there was a presence then.
Back in the mid 70's...bear with me people, I'm showing my age here...at the end of the Vietnam war/conflict, my high school (Miami Sr. High) received a large influx of Vietnamese students as the result of the evacuation that took place then. I remember one day our teachers lecturing us about the new students that we were about to have as classmates and some do's and don't of things and habits that were foreign to them and us...i.e:..don't pat someone on the head, no handshaking, etc,.
Anyways, there used to be an Asian neighborhood, mainly Vietnamese, between 32nd. and 27th, Ave (east-west), and 8 st. to 16 st. (north-south), also, in parts of Coral Gables.
Ok....my 5 cents...back to my box.
Let's all get along.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by states2few View Post
BUMP
Sorry I'm new to Miami and am looking for areas that are high in Asian population and there weren't too many answers on this thread. My parents and I have googled and asked around but not much luck. If anyone knows of any general areas, clubs, hangouts, residencies, etc where there is a higher Asian population PLEASE PLEASE post! Thanks! =)
Jump on a plane and come up here for the weekend. We have everything you need/are looking for.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I am Asian and can I have a say in what you guys call me? I understand that the area is known as the orient, but that doesn't mean we want to be called orientals. Anyways, we usually never try to correct people when they call us orientals and hopefully they'll catch that oh so subtle hint in our conversations when we call ourselves Asians. I think this isn't worth discussing anymore.

I'm inundated with South Asians and East Asians galore where I work. I don't mean Indians of Trinidadian decent or Chinese from Jamaica either. True mainland red Chinese. We even have several Japanese workers here as well. If you guys want to see a true melting pot work environment, go checkout a software company anywhere.
This is the problem with the states; the racial obession. Who cares?

Ive lived in Asia for years, and in chinese white people are called "Devils" (i kind you not). To my numerous requests to call me European, White, Western or even MY NAME they would say "its ok, we call you Devil but we dont mean to offend-its our culture". So who gives asian people the right to dislike "oriental"?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
This is the problem with the states; the racial obession. Who cares?
It's so easy for a white guy, the predominant race here, to say.

Miami was racially segregated through the early 60's (and religiously segregated before -- and after -- that. Miami Shores wasn't just bereft of blacks. There were no Jews either.) Blacks were "gator bait". It was also common to call blacks "n*gg*r", and black men were "boys".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Ive lived in Asia for years, and in chinese white people are called "Devils" (i kind you not). To my numerous requests to call me European, White, Western or even MY NAME they would say "its ok, we call you Devil but we dont mean to offend-its our culture". So who gives asian people the right to dislike "oriental"?
Kwai lo is commonly used in Asia, as n*gg*r was once commonly used in the American South (and North). It's not the proper term in Chinese, as you seem to imply.

China has a lot of ignorant people. You are suggesting that we stoop to the level of those people, like the old days. A race to the bottom is a bad idea.

In any case, most of the Asians I know don't even speak Chinese, so there shouldn't be a big problem calling them Asians. It's not that hard to do.

You are obvously an old f****r. Young people don't use the term "Orientals". When the old generation dies off it will no longer be an issue.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Air

150 posts, read 537,981 times
I think people find the term 'oriental' offensive because of its historical usage in the United States; ie, the 'Oriental Exclusion Act.' Also, it's an adjective, which sounds pejorative when applied to a human being.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Oriental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nothing in there to be offended about.

(Try asking an Asian person instead. And NOT one straight from Asia who can't/don't know the subtleties of racism in this country.)

They always write those ammendments so that no one understands them.

(Yawn....You don't know, you never bothered to know. Period. Stop making excuses, stop blaming. From reading your posts, you strike me as that typical white guy who goes on sex tours to Asia, or who gets yellow fever because you've had an asian girlfriend once, or taught english in Asia hoping to get lucky because everyone knows you've got no game here in your OWN COUNTRY, and now you think you are an expert in Asia. It seems the only thing "oriental" you are interested in charges by the hour.)

I've also lived in Miami since 1968. Since our opinions of people are differnt I can only assume I've been around less complainers than you have.

It has never been a term of derision anymore than the term Occidental has been a term of dreision for Whites. Again Wikipedia for your reference: Occidental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't get offended or consider it an attack agianst me no matter what someone wahts to be called. I used terms that have specific meaning to avoid confusion. If I say "an Oriental girl" everyone knows I'm not talking about someone from Afganistan. Using the term "Asian" one could not make that assumption and, in fact, to make such an assumption would be racist against people form the non-orient part of Asia. You were probably just being ignorant and didn't intend to be racist though.

(That's why past postings have educated you to refer to them as East Asian, South Asian, Southeast Asian, etc. By any chance, were you in the military? You're stubborn hold and false-righteous on the term oriental strikes me as the average insular white person who believes he/she is entitled. These people offend everyone left and right, but are indignant when the tables are turned. You are not the master of the term oriental. Please ask the Asian people themselves how they feel about it. For you to think you are right, and you don't care what asian people think, shows what an ignorant piece of work you are. AND PLEASE, ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT ASK A "FRESH OFF THE BOAT/PLANE ASIAN ABOUT THIS TERM, WHO'S SOLE IMMEDIATE PREOCCUPATION IS WORKING/FEEDING HIS/HER FAMILY, AND WHO DOESN'T HAVE THE REQUIRED ENGLISH SKILLS NOR AMPLE GRASP IN THE SUBTLETIES OF RACISM AND SLIGHTS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. IT'S LIKE ASKING A TODDLER SOMETHING OUT OF HIS/HER IMMEDIATE ABILITY TO COMPREHEND, AND WHEN THE TODDLER NODS BECAUSE HE/SHE HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE **** YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, YOU TAKE THAT AS AN INDICATION THAT THE TODDLER AGREES WITH YOU. AND FYI: LET ME TELL YOU THIS: MOST ASIANS JUST NOD AND AGREE WITH YOU, AS MOST NORTHERN EUROPEANS DO AS WELL. THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO BE POLITE, OR JUST DON'T GIVE ENOUGH OF A DAMN ABOUT YOU TO ENGAGE YOU. REALLY, THIS IS IT. THAT SIMPLE SOMETIMES.

I could type more, but I have an exam to study for. But you're comments were so far out arrogant I had to comment. Wow, you really are the sterotypical white person who thinks they knows best..amazing. I thought your kind only lives in the suburbs of cali. )

I know enough about Islam and I still don't know why you brought it up except to derail the conversation.
( Of course, you are an expert in Islam as well. In fact, it seems you are an expert in most affairs. )

Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goguryo View Post
( Of course, you are an expert in Islam as well. In fact, it seems you are an expert in most affairs. )
are you a goju ryu practioner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami