Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,829 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would appreciate any advice you could offer. I am moving from San Francisco to Miami and am a single guy who enjoys going out to restaurants, lounges, and clubs. I also enjoy the beach and being outdoors. What I enjoyed about San Fran was that I could walk to bars, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc. I will be working in Coconut Grove and making $70K base plus bonus. Where would you recommend I rent? I am open to getting a studio, 1BR, or even sharing a 2BR/2B with a buddy. I have heard Brickell, South Beach, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne Village, and Coral Gables are areas I should look at. At the same time, I don't want to be spending all of my time in traffic driving to and from work. I would appreciate any insight you could offer.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
You're in a great position to move down to Miami. With work in Coconut Grove, you should look into living in Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or Brickell. Miami Beach isn't far, but the other places will set you up with a nice, short commute, which is something that your friends will envy in Miami! Key Biscayne is also close but it is mainly families and older people, not a lot of young people.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. What are your thoughts on those individual neighborhoods? Which tend to be more conducive to young working professionals as I am 29 yrs of age? Are there particular areas of those neighborhoods you would recommend targeting? If I could be close to the water, I am sure that would help in having a breeze during peak summer. Sorry for all the questions. As I will be new to Miami, I just want to make sure I do my homework before I pick a place. Nothing more annoying than wanting to move elsewhere as soon as you move in.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,315 times
I'd definitely look into Brickell as it is a very urban environment and you can find a lot of really nice, affordable apartments there. Plus, if you choose to live in Brickell or Downtown, you can take Metrorail to the Grove and never have to drive.

Coral Gables is very nice too. It's a very old neighborhood that's next to the Grove, but you'd either need a car to get to work or take the bus. Plus, Coral Gables is family-oriented and most people that live there have families in single family homes. Brickell and Coconut Grove are better options.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM

very good point. wasn't aware of the metrorail. saving on gas is a good thing! thanks. i will focus my efforts on brickell and coconut grove then.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdawg View Post
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. What are your thoughts on those individual neighborhoods? Which tend to be more conducive to young working professionals as I am 29 yrs of age? Are there particular areas of those neighborhoods you would recommend targeting? If I could be close to the water, I am sure that would help in having a breeze during peak summer. Sorry for all the questions. As I will be new to Miami, I just want to make sure I do my homework before I pick a place. Nothing more annoying than wanting to move elsewhere as soon as you move in.
Yea Brickell and Coconut Grove are the best options for someone like you. Brickell is a young p-rofessional type of neighborhood, cocunut grove too but its also really popular with college kids but both are great. Both Brickell and CG are close to the water.
Just personally I would go with Brickell,. its everything you're looking for, young professionals, public transit, urban, close to intresting places around, and right on the bay.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

thanks for all of your comments fellas! i am going to focus my search around brickell. i was thinking either brickell or south beach for the social aspects but think south beach will be a pain in terms of commute and brickell offers the urban living.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
My best friend lives in Brickell and walks to work. If you want to go to restaurants/bars/clubs, South Beach is a beautiful 10 minute drive over the causeway. However, you will have some restaurants/bars within walking distance in Brickell itself if you want to stay in the neighborhood. Brickell has a few grocery stores, dry cleaners, banks, and most other things you need from day to day.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,315 times
Yeah go with Brickell, I think it's your best bet and it's a really nice neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM

cool...do you have suggestions on apt/condo complexes with reasonable rent in brickell? ideally, i would like to keep my rent to $1100/mo max. also, is there a beach in brickell to go jogging?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami