Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

106 posts, read 380,390 times

Advertisements

Miami shores isnt even all that big how can the community be that huge. You guys just dont understand demographics of big cities. Theres like 16 million people in L.A. metro area so to me nothing here is sizable because Miami isnt that big. In L.A. we have a China Town, Filipino Town, Little Korea Little Armenia Town, Little Ethiopia etc. That is diversity. You actually go and see the signs in those languages the store names in those languages and the feel of the cities changes and all of those communities. Miami does not change. It is the same thing from one side to the other. The only change I see is a black area and a Latin area and maybe and tourist area. Northwest is black. Northeast is Carribean black. The rest is overwhelmingly hispanic. That is not diversity. In L.A. i could go to Bel Air to see rich white folk, China Town for good Chinese food, Thai Town on Hollywood boulevard for authentic Thai, over to a little place on Sunset that I dont remember the name of for authentic Vietnemese cuisine. I am not doubting that there are people here of those ethnic backgrounds but they are not thriving numbers enough to influence the overall makeup and culture of this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:19 AM

39 posts, read 37,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro420 View Post
Are you kidding me? There is a huge Filipino community in Miami Shores. There's also a sizable Chinese community in NMB. I've seen every kind of person down here, dude.
There's no doubting that Miami Beach is extremely diverse, but Miami Beach isn't like the rest (the majority) of Miami. Miami in general is far from diverse.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM

85 posts, read 586,947 times
Check Weston, I've been researching for a while, we have decided we are relocating to Atlanta instead but our second chance will be Weston, seems nice, quiet, nice place to raise kids.
From what they say a little bit snobby, and houses start in the 400s.
Good luck, research a lot on schools too, you may get big surprises.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheros View Post
My husband, daughter and I just moved to Miami and are trying to find somewhere to live. Does anyone have any suggestions or any info on a good neighborhood to live in?
I live in Cooper City(southwest Broward County), and for the most part enjoy living here. Easy access to major expressways. Small city atmosphere. Great schools. Not as fancy as Weston, but a beautiful city in its own right. Check out the area. I think you will be pleased. My husband commutes to Miami daily. Yes, a drive, but doable.

Welcome!!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,104 times
Default Helo

oh wow miami is very beautiful city in the american,i like to stay in miami,i love the city,whata beautiful country,

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM

36 posts, read 111,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
Los Angeles and New York are diverse but Miami is most definitely not.
Diversity is a catch term in order to try to obscure and somewhat prepare people for the third world culture shock of Miami. People here are not diverse ethnically nor financially.
Every day I see poor blacks, poor Latinos, and poor Carribean Islanders.
The majority come from the Carribean.
Hatian
Dominican
Cuba
Bahamas
Jamaica
Puerto Rico

Thats all the same Carribean and surroundings folks.

Latinos.
Central America
South America.

Honduras
Nicaraugua
El Salvador
Mexico
Venezuela
Colombia
Brazil.

Thats all Latin America folks.

There are entire parts of the globe that are not represented in Miami.
Chinese
Vietnamese
Korean
Filipino
Armenian
Pacific Islanders
Hawaiian Samoan
Indians
Nigerians
Ethiopians and other Africans
Egyptians
I found all of those in L.A. as well as the Carribean islanders found here in Miami.

We dont even have a China Town here and you can barely find a decent hamburger joint here that isnt Burger King, Mc Donalds, or Checkers.

Thats all I have to say.
Moderators and the rest of you who belong to the Miami Image Committee its okay to Hate now.

You hit the nail in the head---no addition needed.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

34 posts, read 105,442 times
Thumbs up miami dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Gosh...I don't know what to tell you, most places here have gotten very, very expensive. It's also very diverse culturally. Even amongst the same groups that speak a common language. It's an eyeopener for most newcomers when they arrive in Miami w/ so many cultures, races, religions, etc. One thing for certain one gets a lesson of a lifetime, cause it's a different place. Though, we all manage to get along & survive... and some people actually love this. We have tons of people moving in everyday. Lately, I've been hearing that Miami is being called the new 'Tropical N.Y.' Miami is big, so you must talk to people you feel comfortable with & hear what they have to say, then drive by different neighborhoods and feel your way & see which fits you & your family. If money is not an issue, you have a vast majority of choices, like Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Brickell, South Miami, Cocoplum, etc. On the east beaches, homes are nice but truly expensive - like Miami Beach or Crandon Park. Though, if I had to move down here right now and wanted a somewhat diverse place that is reasonable for Miami prices that is, I'd go check out some pockets in the Kendall area - Kendall is S.W. 88 st. I'm no real estate expert, nor do I know about schools, but I know somebody that is paying $1200 rent for a small 3/2 townhome in Kendall. They are trying to find something bigger but they are caught in-between a rock & a hard spot cause things here have gotten out of hand here in Miami Dade County. Like the other poster menitoned check Broward. Lots of people, especially after Hurricane Andrew when they lost their homes, moved further north to Broward County and commute back & forth to this very day.... you might want to check it out, too.

Good luck...
kendall,s.w. dadeland, you have to look see what your needs are dont let people scare you this is a growing city with everything on hand rude people are all over the country

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM

139 posts, read 383,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
show me the people from india, show me the asians, show me the samoans. then you can call this place diverse. until then its just a latin monoculture. preferring red beans over black does not diversity make.
don't you mean preferring black beans over red? go move to san fransisco.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by even_flow View Post
There's no doubting that Miami Beach is extremely diverse, but Miami Beach isn't like the rest (the majority) of Miami. Miami in general is far from diverse.
I am not sure if you are saying Miami is diverse or it isn't? Can you clarify?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
Los Angeles and New York are diverse but Miami is most definitely not.
Diversity is a catch term in order to try to obscure and somewhat prepare people for the third world culture shock of Miami. People here are not diverse ethnically nor financially.
Every day I see poor blacks, poor Latinos, and poor Carribean Islanders.
The majority come from the Carribean.
Hatian
Dominican
Cuba
Bahamas
Jamaica
Puerto Rico

Thats all the same Carribean and surroundings folks.

Latinos.
Central America
South America.

Honduras
Nicaraugua
El Salvador
Mexico
Venezuela
Colombia
Brazil.

Thats all Latin America folks.

There are entire parts of the globe that are not represented in Miami.
Chinese
Vietnamese
Korean
Filipino
Armenian
Pacific Islanders
Hawaiian Samoan
Indians
Nigerians
Ethiopians and other Africans
Egyptians
I found all of those in L.A. as well as the Carribean islanders found here in Miami.

We dont even have a China Town here and you can barely find a decent hamburger joint here that isnt Burger King, Mc Donalds, or Checkers.

Thats all I have to say.
Moderators and the rest of you who belong to the Miami Image Committee its okay to Hate now.
I have to agree with you - I don't really consider any parts of South Florida very divers - I mean are there a mix of people sure but there isn't a large enough population of any particular group other than Latin Americans to really call it diverse. That is my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami