Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM

118 posts, read 485,947 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've skimmed through the various forums and was wondering a few things about Miamians:

1. What do you LOVE about your specific neighborhood and entire city
2. What do you LOATHE about your specific neighborhood entire city
3. What do tips can you give someone that's moving back in 2010?

Thank you!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM

294 posts, read 1,150,456 times
Myself a former Chicagoan, I'll be happy to answer your questions:

I live in North Beach. I love being near the beach, near shopping (SoBe, Aventura, NMB), and close to restaurants and cafes in my area. I also love the cultural diversity -many Argentians, Cubans, jews, Eastern Europeans living in my neighborhood. As for Miami itself, I like the feel of being one foot in another culture (or many other cultures) and still being in the US. Other people hate this. I also love the weather - the hotter and more humid the better IMO.

Petty crime is an issue where I live in NoBe. Burglaries, car break ins, etc. But it is generally safe and family friendly. As for what I loathe about Miami - I would say the drivers, corruption and lack of customer service. These things stick out to me. The rest would be typical big city issues you get with any big city like crime, traffic, apathy, etc.

If you've never lived here but plan on moving, move to Miami Beach. You'll have access to everything and will be able to assess from here what areas you may want to live in the future. Also, rent before you buy, even if it's a buyer's market.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM

32 posts, read 132,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Hello all,

Thank you!

Love - the weather, the people, the beach, the night life, sporting events, did I mention the weather?
Loathe - traffic.
Tips - don't be scared by what the Miami haters post on this bored. Miami is like any other major city, we just happen to go to the beach on weekends.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM

546 posts, read 2,149,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Myself a former Chicagoan, I'll be happy to answer your questions:

I live in North Beach. I love being near the beach, near shopping (SoBe, Aventura, NMB), and close to restaurants and cafes in my area. I also love the cultural diversity -many Argentians, Cubans, jews, Eastern Europeans living in my neighborhood. As for Miami itself, I like the feel of being one foot in another culture (or many other cultures) and still being in the US. Other people hate this. I also love the weather - the hotter and more humid the better IMO.

Petty crime is an issue where I live in NoBe. Burglaries, car break ins, etc. But it is generally safe and family friendly. As for what I loathe about Miami - I would say the drivers, corruption and lack of customer service. These things stick out to me. The rest would be typical big city issues you get with any big city like crime, traffic, apathy, etc.

If you've never lived here but plan on moving, move to Miami Beach. You'll have access to everything and will be able to assess from here what areas you may want to live in the future. Also, rent before you buy, even if it's a buyer's market.

Since when is there a "North beach?" Did you just make that up?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Since when is there a "North beach?" Did you just make that up?
No, I didn't just make it up. It's a term used by us locals to describe the Miami Beach area just south of Surfside. I honestly don't know the southern delineation street point, but there is also a Mid Beach, and of course, more famously, South Beach.

Surprised you haven't heard the name before. What part of Miami do you live in?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Just found the street deliniation info on North Beach. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Beach_(Miami_Beach)

You may need to copy and paste - I can't seem to get the last parenthesis to stick in the above link.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't just make it up. It's a term used by us locals to describe the Miami Beach area just south of Surfside. I honestly don't know the southern delineation street point, but there is also a Mid Beach, and of course, more famously, South Beach.

Surprised you haven't heard the name before. What part of Miami do you live in?
I am a local too....first time I've heard that in 17 years of living down here. I've lived all over Dade (Westchester, Kendall, Cutler Bay) and now I recently moved to Miramar.

to the op:

I love the weather, the people (from transplants, tourists, people from Jamaica/Trinidad, people from here), the beach, the 3 major sports are here, the party scene, the various choices of entertainment, the varying neighborhoods (suburbs vs. downtown vs. beach) makes it interesting, being close to the keys is another plus

I live in Miramar because it's close to work. Miramar is a nice suburb and is close to alot of bars/restaurants and close to the Hard Rock Hotel which I like. Where I live it's about 25 minutes from either SoBe or Ft. Lauderdale beach so I still make it out there about twice a month. The only negatives are that it's cookie cutter but that doesn't really get to me.

What I don't like: home prices (even though that is correcting itself so I can't really hold it against Miami), the fact that you have to drive so far to get to another state, the hurricanes, and traffic.

What you can expect if you move here is all what you make of it. Just make sure you make an educated move down and rent before you buy. good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Just found the street deliniation info on North Beach. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Beach_(Miami_Beach)

You may need to copy and paste - I can't seem to get the last parenthesis to stick in the above link.

I clicked on it and no article pops up. I think you're referring to North Miami Beach, in which case I have heard of it.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I am a local too....first time I've heard that in 17 years of living down here. I've lived all over Dade (Westchester, Kendall, Cutler Bay) and now I recently moved to Miramar.

to the op:

I love the weather, the people (from transplants, tourists, people from Jamaica/Trinidad, people from here), the beach, the 3 major sports are here, the party scene, the various choices of entertainment, the varying neighborhoods (suburbs vs. downtown vs. beach) makes it interesting, being close to the keys is another plus

What I don't like: home prices (even though that is correcting itself so I can't really hold it against Miami), the fact that you have to drive so far to get to another state, the hurricanes, and traffic.

What you can expect if you move here is all what you make of it. Just make sure you make an educated move down and rent before you buy. good luck!
Well, I'm not a local in the sense that "I'm from here orignially". I meant 'us locals' in 'we who live in North Beach'. Don't want to misrepresent myself.

A bit off topic, but how do you like Miramar? We're seriously considering moving there (west of 75) or Pembroke Pines within the year. Lots of steals on homes right now with the market tanking. Are you familiar with the Silver Lakes area?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I clicked on it and no article pops up. I think you're referring to North Miami Beach, in which case I have heard of it.
No - you need to copy and paste. When you click on the link, it omits the last parentheses for some reason.

Or try this: http://www.kevintomlinson.com/area-condo-map.php?a=7

The last link has a map at the bottom of the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami