Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 PM

51 posts, read 170,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Andover or Norland? In fact, to be fair, I think that most of the area east of 27th Ave isn't really that bad. I think people tend to associate Miami Gardens with Carol City.
You're probably right. I live in Norland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Miami Gardens incorporated a bunch of "neighborhoods" into one "city" with shared resources. Most of these neighborhoods range from working class and safe to poverty and crime stricken, with a few exceptional pockets. Generally, I have to agree with those who say most of the areas have improved since incorporation. I would generally say that 37th Ave is the epicenter of the worst of Miami Gardens, and east of 27th mostly isn't bad (except for Bunche Park like you mentioned).
That puts it into perspective for me. I didn't even know Miami Gardens covered so much area.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtamara View Post
I just want to thank all of you who replied with so much information. After reading what Miami Gardens is like, I'm glad to say I just got an e-mail from this friend looking for a job, telling me she took a job right here in New Jersey - in a little town of Cranford. Way safer, it sounds! Thanks again!
Tamara

Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 AM

71 posts, read 297,215 times
I live in east Miami Gardens close to Andover, and it's really not bad. I utilize public transportation to get to and from work, and when when I work my 2nd job, I typically step off the Route 75 at around 10:30 p.m., and though I'm a man, I've never felt unsafe. I also use my bicycle to run errands around town, and I've felt safer riding in traffic on the back streets in most Miami Gardens neighborhoods than I do in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove where there are -- in many areas -- no sidewalks. Safety is not only about gun violence. Safety is also about knowing who your neighbors are, having side walks on well-lit streets and so on. It's funny, I live in a low- to middle-class neighborhood and I actually see people walking to the bus stops, to the stores and to visit neighbors and actually waving at each other and chatting with each other...In the street. I've visited friends extensively in Coral Gables and Pinecrest, and I've never seen that. Most of the upper-class neighborhoods in South Florida are virtual ghost towns in both the day and the night times. Also, because there is a presence of people in the streets in cities like Miami Gardens, of course crime is going to be reported more frequently, not necessarily because the crimes are more heinous, but because there are law-abiding citizens who are actually on the street and are, therefore, witnesses.

Now, I'm not trying to romanticize how Miami Gardenians live; however, what I am suggesting is that crime statistics is only a small glimpse into how human beings live, and therefore, shouldn't be the only determinant in deciding how safe or unsafe an area is.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
That puts it into perspective for me. I didn't even know Miami Gardens covered so much area.
Indeed. Miami Gardens goes all the way out to and at some points even past 57th Ave.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen477 View Post
I live in east Miami Gardens close to Andover, and it's really not bad. I utilize public transportation to get to and from work, and when when I work my 2nd job, I typically step off the Route 75 at around 10:30 p.m., and though I'm a man, I've never felt unsafe. I also use my bicycle to run errands around town, and I've felt safer riding in traffic on the back streets in most Miami Gardens neighborhoods than I do in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove where there are -- in many areas -- no sidewalks. Safety is not only about gun violence. Safety is also about knowing who your neighbors are, having side walks on well-lit streets and so on. It's funny, I live in a low- to middle-class neighborhood and I actually see people walking to the bus stops, to the stores and to visit neighbors and actually waving at each other and chatting with each other...In the street. I've visited friends extensively in Coral Gables and Pinecrest, and I've never seen that. Most of the upper-class neighborhoods in South Florida are virtual ghost towns in both the day and the night times. Also, because there is a presence of people in the streets in cities like Miami Gardens, of course crime is going to be reported more frequently, not necessarily because the crimes are more heinous, but because there are law-abiding citizens who are actually on the street and are, therefore, witnesses.

Now, I'm not trying to romanticize how Miami Gardenians live; however, what I am suggesting is that crime statistics is only a small glimpse into how human beings live, and therefore, shouldn't be the only determinant in deciding how safe or unsafe an area is.
You're absolutely right about that. The part of Miami Gardens I grew up in is pretty boogie. I've had the same neighbors for 20 years and barely know any of them. Years ago I was walking around a little lost in a lower-middle class black neighborhood in North Broward and I was surprised at how down-home and civil people were. Everyone who passed me on the sidewalk said "good morning". Having lived in Miami for so long it was a rather surprising experience.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM

292 posts, read 956,082 times
Miami Gardens is too big to figure out if its "safe" or not- depends on what area you land in. If your near Opa Locka or Carol City- duck.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 172,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
Miami Gardens is too big to figure out if its "safe" or not- depends on what area you land in. If your near Opa Locka or Carol City- duck.
I've driven through carol city and opa locka and guess what! I'm still alive .
I don't think that someone should fear merely driving through carol city or even opa locka for that matter. The opa locka triangle is another story lol just avoid it.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickgrits View Post
to say that all of Miami Gardens is great is false because it has neighborhoods that are disproportionate as far as crime. Miami Gardens is a CITY, not a neighborhood. I've seen drug and police chases in carol city (near the high school) and what not but another not-so-good neighborhood is Bunche park because of it's proximity to opa locka and the triangle. Living in Lake Lucerne, Norland, or andover, you probably will be obvlivious to crime because it's not that high in those areas.
I think that Myrtle Grove is an iffy neighborhood. Also to say Miami Gardens is just bad all around is false because there are more safe areas than high crime areas. Miami Gardens is a city of 100,000+, not a neighborhood with he same standard all across.
EXACTLY. I think BOTH groups are wrong. The ones who say Miami Gardens is safe ALL AROUND are wrong, and the ones who say it's DANGEROUS all around are wrong. But for the most part because of places like Carol City, Opa-Locka North, Bunche Park ect, those areas give Miami Gardens it's crime and murder stats. So I agree, the people who say Miami Gardens is dangerous probably live in the Carol City 183rd ave, Bunch Park, and Opa-Locka North sections, while the ones who say it's safe and say they NEVER seen a crime probably live/lived in the Andover, Lake Lucerne areas CLOSER to Aventura. If you were to take Carol City Bunche Park ect, ect, out of Miami Gardens, then Miami Gardens would be considered safe, and if you were to do the same thing vice versa, Miami Gardens would easily be the MOST dangerous place.

Last edited by polo89; 10-19-2009 at 04:17 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickgrits View Post
I've driven through carol city and opa locka and guess what! I'm still alive .
I don't think that someone should fear merely driving through carol city or even opa locka for that matter. The opa locka triangle is another story lol just avoid it.
I have also. But you can drive through Southside Chicago, Compton CA, Bed-Stuy Brooklyn, 3rd Ward NO, ect, ect without getting shot. Heck we drove through Southeast Washington DC at 12:30AM without getting shot. If you're not involved in drug dealing or gangs in MOST of Americas dangerous cities, then you're not gonna be targeted as much. It doesn't necessarily make Carol City and Opa-Locka SAFE. And I TOTALLY agree about the triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami