Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

Did any of you consider that maybe the cop was busy with something more important? Like maybe a murder or robbery investigation? Cops cannot just pull people over or arrest them for every little thing. They usually focus on one incident at a time. Maybe the cop's attention was turned elsewhere and by the time the cars flew by him it was too late to chase them. Did you ever consider that? Cops have things to do, they don't just sit there all day. They are usually typing reports on their labtops from previous incidents that just occurred. Unless they are actively on traffic duty, they aren't going to give as much attention to someone doing 80 in a 45.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 07-25-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
He or she may have radioed another police car to catch the speeding violators in their vicinity,so in essence they probably were pulled over and fined heavily and had their car impounded.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Ehh, you live in Raleigh NC where you dont have to worry about crap like this - I'd just stay in Raleigh and not have to deal with the crap that's normal in Miami.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 18,350 times
What would you have liked to see the police do re: your perceived speeders, chase them and create a greater hazard? This is real life, not TV. Pursuits kill more innocent people than bad driving. No doubt you had your cell phone, next time get a tag number (of the offenders vehicle), car description, direction of travel, and call it in. Hard as it may be to believe, MBPD is understaffed, routineley backed up on priority complaints (as in life threatening) especially during peak hours of activity. There are any number of valid reasons that the officer you observed did not initiate any action in this case,

Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Did any of you consider that maybe the cop was busy with something more important? Like maybe a murder or robbery investigation? Cops cannot just pull people over or arrest them for every little thing. They usually focus on one incident at a time. Maybe the cop's attention was turned elsewhere and by the time the cars flew by him it was too late to chase them. Did you ever consider that? Cops have things to do, they don't just sit there all day. They are usually typing reports on their labtops from previous incidents that just occurred. Unless they are actively on traffic duty, they aren't going to give as much attention to someone doing 80 in a 45.
Well, since I was the one who witnessed it, I can tell you that he was just sitting there in the car. He didn't appear to be doing anything. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I've seen incidents like this over and over and over.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfd29 View Post
What would you have liked to see the police do re: your perceived speeders, chase them and create a greater hazard? This is real life, not TV. Pursuits kill more innocent people than bad driving. No doubt you had your cell phone, next time get a tag number (of the offenders vehicle), car description, direction of travel, and call it in. Hard as it may be to believe, MBPD is understaffed, routineley backed up on priority complaints (as in life threatening) especially during peak hours of activity. There are any number of valid reasons that the officer you observed did not initiate any action in this case,
...and exactly how do you suppose one is supposed to write down two speeders' license plates as they zoom by you unexpectedly? Get real. The entire incident was a complete surprise and happened really fast. It's not like I have my camera out ready to capture the moment. These two were moving really fast.
I am amazed how this has now (somehow) become my fault.
I live in Miami Beach too and understand how understaffed they may be but this incident was so egregious that inaction was almost impossible to believe.
To put this in perspective, I had a Miami Beach Police office call me over on a bull horn from inside his parked car to "teach me a lesson" about not having the right of way on a crosswalk on West Ave. Of course, he didn't teach me a lesson as good as the one I taught him. He insisted that I did not have the right away and that the cross walk was only a "guidance". Well, I asked him about the sign that his car was parked under. He asked me "what sign?" I asked him to get out of the car and look for himself. For anyone familiar with West Ave, you'll know that many intersections have "Yield to Pedestrian" signs with fines posted at key crosswalk intersections. Needless to say, his lesson for me was over.
Understaffed or not, the officers on the beach should still know their TINY geography well enough to understand what us citizens know by "osmosis". And, they should treat cars speeding at triple the speed limit as a real threat to the safety and lives of all citizens and visitors of their city.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
OP with all due respect, I think you should give this incident a rest. Most people don't seem to agree with you and you are ignoring their answers anyway.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I was once merging on the 836 (westbound) at around 3:00 am, when I saw a Mustang and a Lexus (also westbound) racing. I immediately punched it to catch up. After speeds of 110-120mph, I finally caught up to them. The Lexus exited and the Mustang stopped. ( I can't always catch both).

To try and make a long story short, the judge asked me if I had seen them from the start of the race, and if they were stopped when they took off. After telling her that they were already into the race at over 100 mph, she dismissed the case. I asked the S.A.O. if they also need a girl wearing high boots in between both cars. Give me a break.

In other words, I could have had a tire blown out, or lost control and been killed for what? I learned my lesson. Don't be so angry at the police. Be angry at the judges that make them that way. Most of them have the same mind set. I could give you tons of stories that would floor you. It's funny to hear a major tragedy on the news and hear them say "the person has been arrested 26 times" or "this is his fifth D.U.I.". As long as the S.A.O. keeps slapping them on the wrist, and the judges keep dismissing cases, crime and craziness will keep getting worse.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Ehh, you live in Raleigh NC where you dont have to worry about crap like this - I'd just stay in Raleigh and not have to deal with the crap that's normal in Miami.
I am in Miami Beach 80% + of the year. I do have to deal with this, as you suggest, crap.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I was once merging on the 836 (westbound) at around 3:00 am, when I saw a Mustang and a Lexus (also westbound) racing. I immediately punched it to catch up. After speeds of 110-120mph, I finally caught up to them. The Lexus exited and the Mustang stopped. ( I can't always catch both).

To try and make a long story short, the judge asked me if I had seen them from the start of the race, and if they were stopped when they took off. After telling her that they were already into the race at over 100 mph, she dismissed the case. I asked the S.A.O. if they also need a girl wearing high boots in between both cars. Give me a break.

In other words, I could have had a tire blown out, or lost control and been killed for what? I learned my lesson. Don't be so angry at the police. Be angry at the judges that make them that way. Most of them have the same mind set. I could give you tons of stories that would floor you. It's funny to hear a major tragedy on the news and hear them say "the person has been arrested 26 times" or "this is his fifth D.U.I.". As long as the S.A.O. keeps slapping them on the wrist, and the judges keep dismissing cases, crime and craziness will keep getting worse.
Interesting perspective and story. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami