Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.
How do I not know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
How do I not know what I'm talking about?
It might have been your characterization of the poorer not so safe areas. From what I hear little Havana and Hialeah which are heavily Latino and are not the safest places in Miami to be. I have heard this from a few people who have lived there. However I don't nor have I ever lived in either of those places so its just hearsay.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM

61 posts, read 285,992 times
I just moved to Miami from New York and it's no different. People are segregated by their income, next their community and then by language, artistic expression, etc...

New York is the same way. Most caribbean people live in Brooklyn or the upper Bronx. Most of the Koreans live in Fort Lee, NJ, Most of the Dominicans live in Washington Heights, Most of the Puerto Ricans live in the Bronx, Most of the Indians live in Queens, Most of the African-Americans live in Harlem, Jersey City, Brooklyn, Bronx and every where else, Most of the hasidic Jews live on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn just minutes away from everyone else...etc

Most of the professionals and people with money live in Manhattan if you can afford it.

If you are professional and have a little money you live in Doral, South Beach, Midtown, Aventura, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove.

So segregation in these days comes down to MONEY!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisio View Post
From reading several of the posts about people moving from other states & cities to Miami, there is an overwhelming conversation about race. "If I am a white female where should I move", "I'm Eastern European moving to Miami, what's a good neighborhood", "I'm Latina married to White, is my husband going to feel alienated?".

Its frightening. Is Miami as racially segregated as it sounds on this board. Arent there any Asians, Indians, African-Americans, Koreans etc in Miami? Do they live on the "margins" of town? Its a very scary picture presented on this board. Have I misinterpreted?
All of those questions are posed by people on this board who are considering MOVING to Miami. They don't live here and don't know what the city is like.
I don't think Miami is very racially segregated, but then again I don't think it is very racially diverse either. It is mostly Hispanic with about 1/3 black. The rest are smaller minorities (White, Indian, East-Asian, etc.) People tend to self-segregate in Miami as they do in every social situation. However, when they go somewhere where there is racial mixing then Miamians tend to mix as much as anyone else. Also, larger cities tend to be more accepting of other groups than smaller towns. It probably has something to do with people having to be that way where they are packed into close proximity.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM

152 posts, read 627,322 times
Gosh, I grew up in Paris and London and now live on the West Side of New York City. I'm single, sucessful and professional. While I was always aware of the towns that had 'concentrations' of ethicities, the cities I lived in never really had that. So I'm not really familiar with the 'self-segregate' principal. I'm afraid that I won't "fit" into the Miami scene but my job is forcing me to move. I haven't been to Miami in about 5 years. Just afraid I wont fit in and that I'll be limited socially.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM

118 posts, read 314,389 times
Maybe we create storm in a mojito glass...

Racial/ethinc/class concentration happens in all cities allover the world.

My opinion is that sooner or later the race/ethnicity lines will fade &
we will have "segregation" based on the...real thing...

Money.

There will be colourless & multiethnic poor,middle class & rich neighbourhoods...

Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 16,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Yes it is Segregated.
But I lived in Little Haiti and I was white, im white and I lvie in CPT.

What is wrong with me ? I just like the cost of living.

Btw: Little haiti is good choice 4 whites too, lots of english spoken there, while everywhere else its alllllll abouit spanish.

what type of english do you speak? Ebonics. Every where I go in Miami, most speak English, but since i don't hang out in the hood, then I may stand corrected.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times
Please, English? Rogerbacon is right. Moderator cut: English Only I'm a second generation Miamian and it is Spanish. There are people who have LIVED HERE for over 40 years who don't speak passable English, it's just not necessary.

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-14-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami