Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:07 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
San Diego and not even close. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Miami.
Miami women are hotter than San Diego by a long shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:51 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Not even comparable.
San Diego is markedly nicer and provides for a better quality of life than Miami

Old 12-27-2017, 12:38 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Apples to oranges.

First off, SD is more comparable to Tampa than Miami....comparing SD to Miami would be like comparing Tampa to LA.

Miami is predominantly urban; SD is predominantly suburban. Miami, for the most part, is a cosmopolitan city; SD is largely unsophisticated and "laid back" with its share of rural pockets and relatively small downtown. What you consider "quality of life" I found "unfulfilling" and it will cost you quite a bit more to live in SD. Money was not an issue for me--I moved to Miami out of choice and boredom with SD (just as I would die from boredom in Boca). I grew up in the downstate, NY metro area; perhaps had I grown up in upstate NY (rural) I might have found SD more exciting.

Plenty of Miami bashers...trust me, SD has its fair share as well. Following is a blog with reasons why people hate on SD going on its 10th year now. Interesting read if one is contemplating a move and wants to get non-rosey insight:

http://musinginmycontemplation.blogs...diego.html?m=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Not even comparable.
San Diego is markedly nicer and provides for a better quality of life than Miami

Last edited by elchevere; 12-27-2017 at 01:59 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Apples to oranges.

First off, SD is more comparable to Tampa than Miami....comparing SD to Miami would be like comparing Tampa to LA.

Miami is predominantly urban; SD is predominantly suburban. Miami, for the most part, is a cosmopolitan city; SD is largely unsophisticated and "laid back" with its share of rural pockets and relatively small downtown. What you consider "quality of life" I found "unfulfilling" and it will cost you quite a bit more to live in SD. Money was not an issue for me--I moved to Miami out of choice and boredom with SD (just as I would die from boredom in Boca). I grew up in the downstate, NY metro area; perhaps had I grown up in upstate NY (rural) I might have found SD more exciting.

Plenty of Miami bashers...trust me, SD has its fair share as well. Following is a blog with reasons why people hate on SD going on its 10th year now. Interesting read if one is contemplating a move and wants to get non-rosey insight:

MusingInMyContemplation: 10 reasons i hate san diego
Yeah because Hialeah, Kendall, Doral, West Chester, Miami Gardens, Miami Springs, basically anywhere west of US 1 are "sophisticated" ..whatta joke, , .... The only parts of Miami that are NOT suburban in nature are Brickell and Miami Beach, perhaps the grove area, which is super small anyway.

Let's all marvel at the sophistication of Dadeland, everyone. Yeah, Kendall is soooo avant garde. Oh wait, we have Wynwood. So urban chic! omg. lol... There's sophisticated urban wall murals and a few bars and stuff. Pretty Neat.

Miami is so one-sided and lacks real diversity a la Los Angeles, San Francisco, NYC.... IDK, i'm from miami (you're not..... you're just a another New Yorker who prob wants to escape the cold)... but Miami to me is boring and predictable with nothing new going on besides shopping malls, nightlife (which is great IMO) but what else? Beaches.... ok, they're good, but how often can one sit on on the beach and bake in the sun and drink at wet willies? Yeah, sophisticated, i guess.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 12-27-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM

I do live in Brickell. Besides Brickell, there is the Gables, South Miami, Miami Beach (up from SoFi to Sunny Isles), Star Island, Fisher Island, Key Biscayne, Pinecrest, etc. etc etc. I did not say all of Miami is sophisticated.

NYC, SF and LA have crappy sections--are they not sophisticated, cosmopolitan cities because of these sections either?

Have you lived in San Diego, or were you there for a 3 day vacation and had a great time at Dick's Last Resort (now closed) in the Gaslamp (i.e. their Ocean Drive).

Many on the CD SD forum complain about the COL and have to settle for 1920's style cottages without AC (and, yes, contrary to popular misbelief you do need AC in most areas of SD) or sections of the city not remotely close to the beach (and you definitely have redneck sections as you start getting 3 miles inland as well as inland and to the north).....is money an issue for you?....are you one of the natives who resents Northeasterners and foreigners moving here and driving up the price of real estate while wages have not kept up with the appreciation?....if so, I'm not sure why you think your standard of living would improve in SD as it is more expensive and, frankly, it is Bland Diego compared to Miami--in other words, high prices and you don't get your money's worth (for the most part, SD is like a glorified Cerritos meets Whittier)....I don't think you appreciate what you have here....demonstrably better restaurant and nightlife scene, the ocean you can go in year round, our Art Basel, SOBEWFF, other events vs their "Comic-con". Opening of a $5B Brickell City Centre whereas malls in SD are turning into ghost towns where hepatitis A carrying homeless congregate....and I lived in CA for 33.5 years before moving to Miami, so warm weather is not a novelty to me.

Trust me, I never really liked Miami/Miami Beach that much until I started coming here on a regular basis 4 years ago before finally moving here last year--but the city has evolved and is a world class city. San Diego, OTOH, suffers from an insecure penis envy of LA and SF with an unsophisticated populace that is content to settle for mediocrity.....if it is suburbia you like, you still have the option of Palm Beach County or if you want the "small town/Midwest (minus the common sense and common courtesy that is lacking in SD)" / let's keep things they way they were in the past, there is the West Coast of Florida.

I really think you are underestimating what you have here.....great beaches/ocean you can go in without a wetsuit year round, great restos, great nightlife, all 4 pro sports leagues, Perez museum/Adrienne Arsht center, hub airport with direct flights to many great countries within 3 hours; no income tax; demonstrably better looking women who age better;and well maintained roads and infrastructure (potholes in almost every neighborhood of SD, including wealthy ones).....I would love to hear what you think is so great about SD--I found it to be arguably the most overrated city I have ever lived in (NY, Atlanta, SF, OC/LA, SD, and now Miami)....if you have a career opportunity in an industry that does not exist here (i.e. biotech or defense contractor/engineering), then I could understand your reasons for wanting to live there--but SD is not the job mecca of its neighbors to the north (OC, LA and SF)--heavily dependent upon the military, healthcare, and tourism (we have the latter two here in Miami as well in addition to more Fortune 500 based companies--granted not that many, but still more than in SD).

it's the people and lack of class of the general populace that got me to move from there...yeah, I know--Miami is full of rude pricks (of which I am one)....but I will take rude (usually people in a rush to get from point A to point B, i.e. a purpose) over the lackadasical, classless, directionless, tattoo/nose ring/tank top "Clampetts" and weird types that tend to migrate to San Diego....I will take rude over weird any day (at least with rude, I can predict one's behavior)....I will also take clean cut, groomed, successful foreigners (such as where I live in Brickell) over white trash (I'm white) any day of the week.

I would love to hear your reasons as to why you find SD markedly nicer and what area you would move to or have lived in....if you are thinking of moving there, think again....I would recommend Santa Monica/Westside LA or OC over SD (but those areas are even more expensive--if that matters to you). If you have questions, feel free to ask--I'll do my best to talk you out of Bland Diego.

Quote:
Yeah because Hialeah, Kendall, Doral, West Chester, Miami Gardens, Miami Springs, basically anywhere west of US 1 are "sophisticated" ..whatta joke, , .... The only parts of Miami that are NOT suburban in nature are Brickell and Miami Beach, perhaps the grove area, which is super small anyway.

Let's all marvel at the sophistication of Dadeland, everyone. Yeah, Kendall is soooo avant garde. Oh wait, we have Wynwood. So urban chic! omg. lol.

Miami is so one-sided and lacks real diversity a la Los Angeles, San Francisco, NYC.... IDK, i'm from miami (you're not..... you're just a another New Yorker who prob wants to escape the cold)... but Miami to me is boring and predictable with nothing new going on besides shopping malls, nightlife (which is great IMO) but what else? Beaches.... ok, they're good, but how often can one sit on on the beach and bake in the sun and drink at wet willies? Yeah, sophisticated, i guess.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-27-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Are you guys talking about the respective cities (municipality, e.g. City of Miami) or the respective counties?

They should have left it Dade County, because now we have too much confusion.

If the respective cities only, then elchevere's observations are realistic. If the counties, then OptimusPrime69's observations are realistic.

By the way:
San Diego County ................ 4,525 square miles
Miami-Dade County .............. 1,898 square miles

City of San Diego.................... 372 square miles
City of Miami.......................... 55 square miles
So even if you restricted the comparison to county-to-county or city-to-city, it is still apples to oranges. You really have to narrow it down to neighborhood-to-neighborhood - as well as balance sheet-to-balance sheet, income-to-income - otherwise you are just blowing off keystrokes and bandwidth.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM

772 posts, read 1,142,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
You know, I've only been living here for a week and I am thoroughly impressed by the women. I saw this fair-skinned Hispanic woman at Publix in Brickell who was the prettiest woman I had seen in a decade. She's not the only fine woman I've seen in the greater downtown area, as well as Miami beach.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
You know, I've only been living here for a week and I am thoroughly impressed by the women. I saw this fair-skinned Hispanic woman at Publix in Brickell who was the prettiest woman I had seen in a decade. She's not the only fine woman I've seen in the greater downtown area, as well as Miami beach.
How old are you guys?

The rose-colored glasses effect wears off after about three months, then you'll see that the percentage of women whom you find attractive will be about the same here, there and anywhere else on the planet where there is a statistically significant population.

So please stop the googly-eye thing now before it becomes sappy.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 AM

I was talking city....SD city proper (to include neighboring beach communities of Coronado, PB, OB, etc...yes, Coronado is wealthy--but that does not mean its cosmopolitan...ditto for La Jolla--sleepy, wealthy beach enclave) cannot hold a candle to Miami/Miami Beach in terms of cosmopolitan....if I had wanted suburbia, I would have stayed in SD or SoCal or moved to Boca, Delray, or Palm Beach....the urban core of SD is closer to a Garden City, Long Island (suburban) than it is a major metropolitan cosmopolitan center.

Good distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Are you guys talking about the respective cities (municipality, e.g. City of Miami) or the respective counties?

They should have left it Dade County, because now we have too much confusion.

If the respective cities only, then elchevere's observations are realistic. If the counties, then OptimusPrime69's observations are realistic.

By the way:
San Diego County ................ 4,525 square miles
Miami-Dade County .............. 1,898 square miles

City of San Diego.................... 372 square miles
City of Miami.......................... 55 square miles
So even if you restricted the comparison to county-to-county or city-to-city, it is still apples to oranges. You really have to narrow it down to neighborhood-to-neighborhood - as well as balance sheet-to-balance sheet, income-to-income - otherwise you are just blowing off keystrokes and bandwidth.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
How old are you guys?

The rose-colored glasses effect wears off after about three months, then you'll see that the percentage of women whom you find attractive will be about the same here, there and anywhere else on the planet where there is a statistically significant population.

So please stop the googly-eye thing now before it becomes sappy.

Thanks.
It just in Miami I find higher percentage of pretty women compare to other cities I been to. My friends who went to Miami for first time this year was impressed by what they see. Brickell, Miami Beach area, Wynwood Art walls, Little Havana, Edgewater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami