Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
If it weren't for those people, Miami would be an enormous "hood".
You know, it's funny how any posts/comments that portray some of the Hispanics living in Miami-Dade are instantly jumped on as "racist", yet it's perfectly acceptable to put subtle negative innuendos out there about black people (because I know that's what you're referring to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,957 times
No one here is being accused of being a racist for chastising Hispanics.
Hispanics are not a race, but a vocinglerous culture.
In fact, there are many Hispanics here putting down other Hispanics.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times
Quote:
No one here is being accused of being a racist for chastising Hispanics.
Hispanics are not a race, but a vocinglerous culture.
In fact, there are many Hispanics here putting down other Hispanics.
I think you get the point I'm trying to make, so you don't need to be a smartass about it.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I didn't know that Miami had made that list too...

Not surprising, being as there are fast food joints on every corner and few parks or recreational areas for people to exercise in (gyms are not everyone's cup of tea).

What top 5 list is Miami to make next? I have a few suggestions:

- Top 5 cities with the most obnoxious people
- Top 5 narcissistic cities
- Top 5 cities with the highest rate of murder-suicides
- Top 5 cities where you don't even have to know English to get by
- Top 5 "ugly" cities
- Top 5 "dumbest" cities in the US
- Top 5 overdeveloped US cities
- Top 5 most vain/superficial cities in the US

To hell with this place
I think it was on a list of the top 5 superficial places to live actually :lol
It was like last year sometime

Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
errrr what? I have three degrees, highly skilled, have worked in my field for over a decade. I have been looking for I.T. jobs in Miami for the past year and a half and I have not had any luck. Miami has never been known for having a highly skilled work force and it has never been known to have a high availability of highly skilled jobs. There was a summit last year between businesses leaders and academia in Miami to discuss the lack of a highly educated and highly skilled work force in Miami and what they could do to change it. I should mention during this summit Fort Lauderdale was discussed as well, they are even worse off than Miami.
LOL I have a Bachelor's Degree in Education and my husband has a Master's Degree and is in the Medical field, and we both can not stand Miami and never venture there (and we're both from NYC, btw).

Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,957 times
- Top 5 cities with the most obnoxious people
- Top 5 narcissistic cities
- Top 5 cities with the highest rate of murder-suicides
- Top 5 cities where you don't even have to know English to get by
- Top 5 "ugly" cities
- Top 5 "dumbest" cities in the US
- Top 5 overdeveloped US cities
- Top 5 most vain/superficial cities in the US
- Top 5 bad breath and garlic smell
- Top 5 farts provoked by black beans
- Top 5 too many domino players
- Top 5 women have acne and fart and big behinds
- Top 5 hate square dance
- Top 5 no squirrel jerkies
- Top 1 can't shoot them coons and o'possums

_______

__

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-25-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Miami sucks to the people that don`t have a bachelors degree and speak only English. Miami is exciting...the rest of Florida is boring...
Lies.

I'm hispanic, i have a bachelor's degree, I speak both English/Spanish, I'm an American Citizen, and i already can't stand Miami.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 85,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I didn't know that Miami had made that list too...

Not surprising, being as there are fast food joints on every corner and few parks or recreational areas for people to exercise in (gyms are not everyone's cup of tea).
I have to disagree with you here. It seems that you want to place the responsibility for people being fat on the government, rather than on the people themselves. What about personal responsibility?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
LOL I have a Bachelor's Degree in Education and my husband has a Master's Degree and is in the Medical field, and we both can not stand Miami and never venture there (and we're both from NYC, btw).
Me personally, I love the city core of Miami. The rest of it can burn down.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Tiger

People here are not complaining against crime, they are complaining against a different language, different habits, everything that you find in any big city.

I guess that many Americans are looking for a "bucolical and Arcadian setting" or they come from parochial populations, or are more individualistic, or are used to higher standards and more living space.

In Europe, at least in Western Europe, we are all cramped and we must put up with a lot of sh... so in comparison Miami is a peaceful place, a paradise, somewhat boring.
Well, yeah. Having lived in Europe I can tell you we ARE looking to retain our "personal space". Such as not having people leaning on you on the bus and not having someone take the empty seat next to you on the plane to sleep in when they see you have a BABY and the baby could use the seat. (NYC to Greece).

This is NOT what you find in "any big city" in America. This is America and we're not interested in "changing it" to be any version of Europe, South America or otherwise.

REgarding language for the millionth time, speak whatever you want in public (even though my immigrant husband NEVER EVER spoke his language outside of the house, he wanted to assimilate)....just stop INSISTING Americans NEED TO learn Spanish, or play Spanish movies at the Dr. office or have bilingual everything.

You can't have it "both ways" IMO. If you want to be AMERICAN, do so. Don't just come here to skim off the economic benefits and live in your own world and ESPECIALLY don't force your (not you specifically, I mean the collective "you").....reverse xenophobia on us when we are living here minding our own business providing UNLIMITED freaking immigration to "specific" groups.

Maybe we need to force immigrants to learn how to be cowboys and rope cattle, pick cotton, live off the land out in Kansas and all the other ways OUR ancestors lived instead of them telling us how to live like them. Would that be ok? It's equally ridiculous.

Let me add that I was in Miami for a job interview yesterday out by the airport.

What a total mess. NOTHING BUT [mostly old beat up] condos for miles jammed together. NOTHING but a mall and some stores and condos not a single green space or even a duplex....condos condos condos. Traffic? LOL uh...YEAH. At 2 pm you're taking 20 minutes to go around a block.

It appears there was not a speck of city planning. curved streets loaded with condos and apartments for NO APPARENT REASON. I kept asking what's up with all these buildings why are they here what's the "draw" it can't be just the stupid Mall attracting it.....NOPE, not that it's a corporate center of any type or anything....just NO PLANNING WHATSOEVER.

I lived on the Lower East Side NYC and my entire life in Philly so I have some experience with a city versus a suburban "disaster".

Trying to visualize myself living there was a joke. Would I do it for the money? Probably. That doesn't mean it wasn't a joke. One segment of society's "paradise" is hell for plenty of other people.

BTW, I saw a minority of African Americans (which I though was wierd) and no crack heads. But each condo advertised as "luxury" had people complaining about car thefts, car break-ins etc. and they were GATED.

I guess those crackheads doing all the crime are very clever at BLENDING IN, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami