Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do residents of Miami consider Miami to be a Southern city?
Yes 7 15.22%
No 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times

Advertisements

Cuba Libre

But according to Crisp, all those Gated Communities are in Hialeah, Doral, etc, not in the historic and classy areas formerly inhabited by Anglos. I don't remember seeing gated communities in the Gables, Grove, Miami Beach, etc. You might call slums to many areas, but Real Estate prices are high.

I had some friends that lived in Miami Beach in a place called Polo Court, nice houses.

Maybe those gated communities are a new development in Dade, I remember there were a lot of them in Boca, Pompano, etc.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-21-2009 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,904 times
I think the polls will put the question to rest.

About the black community in Miami and the whole mainstrean discussion. Anyone who lives there knows that the black neighborhood is easily if not more than 60% non African American. It's mostly Afro Carribean between the Haitians and Jamaicans they speak with heavy accents sounds nothing like southern. As for the African Americans back in the 60's when Miami was southern white's started to leave but the blacks stayed. So the blacks that were part of the south back in the 60's still talk with that accent.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Cuba Libre

But according to Crisp, all those Gated Communities are in Hialeah, Doral, etc, not in the historic and classy areas formerly inhabited by Anglos. I don't remember seeing gated communities in the Gables, Grove, Miami Beach, etc. You might call slums to many areas, but Real Estate prices are high.
Hialeah was a working class anglo community, and there was not enough money-or desire to save or preserve any kind of standard of living like in the Gables. When the tide began to change, and Anglos fled with the shirts on their backs, walling off semi-nice areas was the only option; I also think Hialeah was too big to regulate to the same degree as Coral Gables.

Doral doesn't count, as it was hardly inhabited by anyone 30 years ago.

The wealthy Anglo areas, like the Gables, Pinecrest, Miami Shores, and Palmetto Bay smartly incorporated and brought in all of their own services. There was money and political support to preserve "what was" in the wealthiest of the anglo dominated areas, that is why you will see TREES in these cities, unlike most of the rest of Miami-Dade.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
But there you go again, Gables is not "Anglo", Key Byscaine is not "Anglo" and I bet that Pinecrest is not Anglo if you discount Jews and Europeans.

So "Anglos", I'm referring to the formers inhabitants of Miami, low middle class monolinguals with no schooling, are way gone.

I even bet that the few affluent "Anglos" that live in those areas are newcomers.

Anglos fled for the most part because Cubans only bought Cuban at that time, before the large malls and franchises, and Miami ceased to be a southern town. For example, the Tower Cinema on 8th and 12ve ceased to be a Chapter of the KKK to become a cinema "en español". Swift changes.

That was the case with all the shops on Riverside - 8th St., etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM

259 posts, read 840,508 times
Let me clear up one other thing. Hip-Hop cuture DOES NOT equal Black culture. (They are actually two different things. ie White people & Hispanics follow the "hip-hop lifestyle" all the time) Furthermore, just because you see a Black person following the Hip-hop lifestyle in Miami, that is not enough qualify them as Southern. There are other aspects of Southern culture that make one "Southern" and in Miami that does not apply only to black people. As you can see general stereotypes and I are not very good friends.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Miami is not a Southern city. I'm not sure if there are many Southern cities left. I recently got back from three days in Savannah, Georgia. That should have been a VERY Southern city but it felt kind of generic. I expected to hear a lot of Southern accents but I heard only a few and only slight accents at that. I suppose popular culture is reducing people's accents when kids hear so much of their language interaction from television instead of playmates on the playground. However, the people there were still night and day difference in terms of kindness and politeness. THAT part is still Southern.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post
Who ever said African Americans were the only true "southerners" in Miami Dade County?

What about Hispanics?

Have you guys ever stopped and think that there are hispanics in Miami that have lived here for many generations and have fully integrated themselves into the US customs, speak only english and really do consider themselves southern in many respects (their cooking, the music they listen to, etc..)im not saying they are the majority but like I said earlier, parts of the county really do feel southern and I AM NOT ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE AFRICAN AMERICAN NEIGHBORHOODS.

South Miami, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Homestead, Florida City are all areas that feel quite Southern in my opinion. many of the houses in these areas (especially the old mansions of Coral Gables) resemble the southern culture. WHAT is even more interesting is unlike most ppl in this thread saying African American neighborhoods are the only southern areas of Miami, these neighborhoods (with exception to two of em) are predominantly white neighborhoods.
I think my posts are a little bit of a misunderstanding. I just threw out my perspective of the topic. Continuing on with that as far as hip hop music and Black Miamians. There was a song in 2001 by No Good (From Miami) called Ballin Boyz and he dedicated the song to a specific group of people. See if you all can figure it out.

YouTube - No Good-Ballin Boys

Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,904 times
Sometimes rappers will talk about other places they been too alot. Usually because of the drug trade they've done. When don't you hear rappers talk about or kick a shout out too other cities? Cameron (NY Rapper) has a song right now about Ohio does that mean that Ohio is like New York too?!

If you want to get it right about rappers from Miami they all they their from the "bottom". The bottom of the map point blank period.

You watch some music videos of some nobody's, probally visited and you got it all figured out. You've obviously never lived in Miami.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 AM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
^^^ Cam'ron is garbage.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I thought it was known as the capital of South America.
Quote:
robertjohnson: Miami is so far south you have to go north to hear a southern accent.

I have lived on the two coasts of the US, north and south, the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts of Europe, in eastern Europe, and on the Pacific side northern South America.

Fifty or so years ago, Miami was the tropical haven of North America, now I consider Miami the northern capital of South America.

I don't think anyone has ever considered Miami a city of the "classical" south of the United States, maybe Jacksonville, Pensacola, Tallahassee and a few others in northern Florida, but never Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami