Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkwithtitiesallday View Post
This is wrong on all counts. You don't need an SSN for an employer identification number, you may obtain one with a TIN.
I stand corrected. I still don't know how those people are able to get a TIN in the first place. The only business owners I know are legally here and most of them are Cubans or Anglos. I don't hang out with Venezuelans so that might explain my ignorance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Quote:
BTW, that begs a second question, where do the "non-wealthy" Venezuelans live in Miami?
The same place as any other "non-wealthy" person?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM

19 posts, read 50,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
The same place as any other "non-wealthy" person?

Obviously, the implicit question is: Are they known to occupy some of these [non-wealthy] places in Miami more than others?

Again, thanks to all that are contributing

Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
BTW, that begs a second question, where do the "non-wealthy" Venezuelans live in Miami?
They live in a place called " The Ranchos of Doral" I'm sure they live all scattered in the city. We have plenty of low income communities they can choose from.

Question for you, since you seem to know about this subject. Let's say someone opens a business with a TIN. Are they able to employ themselves and the other owners even if they are not legally here? I'm guessing these people are opening business entities that include several family members' names. Is that a loophole to work in the USA. I have some friends in Venezuela...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM

19 posts, read 50,514 times
Quote:
Is that a loophole to work in the USA. I have some friends in Venezuela...

Indeed, it is known as the "informal" investor's visa for those who can't afford a full fledged investor's visa application.

It has been so for so many years, think of our Indian/Pakistani friends and their gas stations, 7-elevens, and Dunkin dougnuts, etc

Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Very interesting...

I guess it's really hard to answer your original question. First people who are not residents don't like to say so. People fear their visas won't be extended, being deported, so they will lie about their status. Maybe someone that works with Visas in immigration would know better.

The only Venezuelans I know, worked for regular corporations and they were all legal. The only noncuban communities that are known for having South Americans are Doral for Venezuelans and Kendall for Colombians.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Yes, you can set up a business and charter a Limited Liability Corporation in the City of Miami with a tourist visa in one day (it takes 50 days in Spain). You can set up a business and charter a Foreign Limited Corporation if you have a foreign adress, you can do it through Internet from anywhere in the world.

I.R.S issues a ITIN when you charter a Florida LLC, so you don't need SSN.

When you invest certain amount of money and employ certain amount of employess, you are given the opportunity to become resident. (1.000.000 investment and creating 10 jobs, or investing 500.000 in targeted areas).

Many are not interested because they are travelling back and forth all the time, and have part of their families in their home country.

As to Venezuelans, they probably are interested in obtaining an American Resident status due to the current political situation in that country.

I doubt very much that they'll deport anyone with, say, a 500.000 business in Miami that employs Americans. The business of America is business.

By the way, people investing in Miami and creating jobs there from Foreign Countries are not inmigrants, they are Foreign Investors.

No, they are not non-documented because, again, you can OWN a business in Miami with a tourist visa or living abroad. The personality of their Business Entity is legal, ussuary a LLC - Limited Liability Corporation (An American legal entity chartered by the State of Florida).

Last edited by Leovigildo; 08-13-2009 at 05:44 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 AM

No, they don't hire illegals because hiring legal citizens is a sine quanum condition to obtain INS benefits.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Indeed, it is known as the "informal" investor's visa for those who can't afford a full fledged investor's visa application.

It has been so for so many years, think of our Indian/Pakistani friends and their gas stations, 7-elevens, and Dunkin dougnuts, etc
Leo it sounds like the amount being invested might be less than 500k.

OP, I wouldn't call these people illegals though, they are legally here, a better term would be non residents or people with visas

Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Lolitazz

I'm not into this stuff, but I'm sure there are all sorts of loopholes.
Anyways, Miami favours people coming with money from all sorts of venues.
I heard, I'm not sure, that if you invest in American Debt, you'e got the right to the Green Card.
Yes, Lolita, let's say that a rich Venezuelan is far more legal here than a poor soul from Tallahassee or Hialeagh, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami