Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 AM

199 posts, read 476,098 times

Advertisements

I agree that everyone learns English I just don't agree with the fact that Cubans try to speak more than other groups. The problem seems to be more with some recently arrived Cubans I have met. I don't think in the long run it is going to be a problem. I don't agree with people who say people in Miami dont want to learn English. It is just a minority.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Most people who complain about people that "no speakie English" are, in general, not complaining about Cubans; they're complaining about recently-arrived Central Americans, and to a lesser extent, recently-arrived South Americans. Most Cubans in Miami have been living in this country for years and speak English; ALL Cuban-Americans raised in Miami speak English fluently.
Very true. You can thank, for better or worse, Miami-Dade Public Schools for making sure that all kids can get by in English, if not be the next generation of Hemingway.

Additionally, I think many folks who get upset at Spanish-only speakers lack perspective. Let's say you were to move to another country, and lived in a community of expatriate Americans. In the course of your daily life 90% of the people you interact with at the places you shop, at work, your neighbors, your Church, etc. are also American and speak English better than the host language. Additionally, there are English TV Stations, Radio stations, and print within easy reach every day. Don't you think it may hinder your desire and ability to learn that host language just a bit?

I agree that everyone should learn the host language of the country they move to. There are many people who don't speak English but are trying to learn how, it doesn't happen overnight.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Banx

Just one question out of the blue. Why do you want Latins in Miami to behave like Mexicans or Puertorricans in their different ghettos spread around the U.S?

Latins in Miami, and Cubans most of all, are the only sucessful Latin Community in the US. The income of second generation Cubans, and probably second generation South Americans living in Miami, is higher than the income of Anglos.

Just another question, do you think that Anglos really care if Hispanics speaks English or not? Do you think that Hispanics will have better chances of assimilation if they only speak English?

The answer is NO.

Do they complain about Spanish in California as much as the do in Dade and South Florida? No, because they are Dominant there and they don't care if the Mexican or Guatemalan gardener only speaks ten words in English.

Just a opinion.
First off, I'd like to ask why you assume that just because I brought up Mexcians and the Boricua in the US, that I'm talking about ghetto's? There are plenty of Mexican and Puerto Rican families that are doing very well for themselves, thank you very much. Just because Cubans are some of the most successful Latino's in the US doesn't mean Mexcians and Puerto Ricans are all gun toting Latin Kings. Many are just hard working families who might end up in a lower working class areas. Of course there are gangs around I guess, but what city doesn't have em? None of my cousins on my Mexican side ever ended up in a gang, and after school every day they would come to good home cooked food and a caring, hard working family.

But you are right though, I shouldn't have said Cubans. I really meant to say Latin Americans in Miami, but Cubans came out cause I was in a hurry typing my response. If they do have a higher income than the Anglo's (even though once again, I am not talking about race, I'm talking about language), it doesn't matter, they are still in an English speaking country. Wealth means nothings to me when being in an English speaking country has cause you to be wealthy in the first place. Besides, if that were true, why are "Anglo's" and other English speakers having so much trouble getting these jobs as garderners, dish washers and other various working man's positions? I mean it shouldn't matter right, because Spanish speakers are dominant right? But that's not the case at all... it IS because they don't speak Spanish. I mean look, there are 19 countries in the America's that are native Spanish speaking, as oppossed to the only few English speaking ones: US, Canada, Jamaica and other small Carribean islands. Spanish speakers can feel free go to any of those 22 countries n talk Spanish for the rest of their lives, those are native tongues of those lands. There's even Spain in Europe and Equatorial Guinea in Africa if you were so inclined. But don't come to the US and expect English speakers (not Anglo's, English speakers) to be able to talk Spanish as if they were born n raised from some Latin American country. I don't see how anyone can argue with that. And don't try and make English speaking Latin Americans feel guilty, and make them feel like they're self-hating because they don't want to speak Spanish... in an English speaking country.

And yes, "Anglo's" AND black's and many other English speakers do care out in California that the immigrants there do not speak English. Just like Spanish speakers in Dade care that the "Anglo's" don't speak Spanish. Talk to any of them out in Cali and you'll find that just about anyone will agree that it's aggravating that they cannot communicate with someone in their own country, it's the same in Chicago or NYC, or anywhere for that matter too. Then there's the jobs that are being taken, but that's more of a matter of immigration, not necessarily language.

I do understand the points your making, but it's just irrelevant to the fact that the US is an English speaking country. There shouldn't even be an arguement really. If there are those English speaking Americans in Costa Rica like someone else brought up, I do think it's rude and ignorant that they do not learn Spanish while they are there, as that is the mother tongue, just as English is to the US.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Very true. You can thank, for better or worse, Miami-Dade Public Schools for making sure that all kids can get by in English, if not be the next generation of Hemingway.

Additionally, I think many folks who get upset at Spanish-only speakers lack perspective. Let's say you were to move to another country, and lived in a community of expatriate Americans. In the course of your daily life 90% of the people you interact with at the places you shop, at work, your neighbors, your Church, etc. are also American and speak English better than the host language. Additionally, there are English TV Stations, Radio stations, and print within easy reach every day. Don't you think it may hinder your desire and ability to learn that host language just a bit?

I agree that everyone should learn the host language of the country they move to. There are many people who don't speak English but are trying to learn how, it doesn't happen overnight.
I agree with what your saying, but it's when people are met with hostility for not speaking Spanish in an English speaking country that frusturates people. If you do not know English yet, that's cool, but don't expect a native of the host country to know Spanish. That's all I'm saying.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I see this as if you move next to an airport why are you complaining about the noise? if you lived in Chicago you might sick of seeing and hearing Polish being spoken and seeing signs in Polish. If you live in Miami it kinda of goes with the territory. However I have some puerto rican friends that flat out refuse to assimilate. I do think watching the leno the night show with Spanish subtitles is flat out stupid idea, but smart business.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I see this as if you move next to an airport why are you complaining about the noise? if you lived in Chicago you might sick of seeing and hearing Polish being spoken and seeing signs in Polish. If you live in Miami it kinda of goes with the territory. However I have some puerto rican friends that flat out refuse to assimilate. I do think watching the leno the night show with Spanish subtitles is flat out stupid idea, but smart business.
Except in the case of Miami, the airport moved in next to the neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

The income of second generation Cubans, and probably second generation South Americans living in Miami, is higher than the income of Anglos.
Yea, I guess if you add up all the Medicare fraud committed by Miami's newest additions, along with drug sales, financial scams, and profits from back home, it would no doubt make dwarf the honest earnings of Miami's few surviving Anglos. That's what happens when there are millions of Hispanics and just a handful of Anglos. You don't need English to thrive in the industries I just mentioned...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Yea, I guess if you add up all the Medicare fraud committed by Miami's newest additions, along with drug sales, financial scams, and profits from back home, it would no doubt make dwarf the honest earnings of Miami's few surviving Anglos. That's what happens when there are millions of Hispanics and just a handful of Anglos. You don't need English to thrive in the industries I just mentioned...
Ju no speak espanish?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 AM

156 posts, read 252,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
----

Totally agree.
The Business of America is Business.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 AM

156 posts, read 252,554 times
But don't come to the US and expect English speakers (not Anglo's, English speakers) to be able to talk Spanish as if they were born n raised from some Latin American country. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

-----------

Banx

You're entirely wrong here. Nobody wants Anglos to speak Spanish. Let's put an example based on the info that you provided about yourself.

You said that you are half-Mexican and that you don't speak Spanish. Hispanics in South Florida would rather have you like that than as a bi-lingual person. Right now, you are in no direct competition with them in the Job Market for many job positions.

Spanish and Indian languages are the native tongues of La Florida, Texas, Nuevo Mexico, Arizona and California. Hawaian is the native tongue of Hawaii.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-06-2009 at 03:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami