Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Again...some people think camping means drinking and being an idiot ...or, acting just like they do at home when they drink. Most likely they are new to camping and do not know how to act. We camp a lot, and usually do a lot of homework on our campgrounds. We make sure noise is not tolerated, and look at reviews. Doing our homework really pays off in that we have only had one or two campgrounds we did not like. We now have a ton of campgrounds we know we can go year after year, and 99.9% of the time it will work out great.
There is a campground in this area that bans alcohol on certain week-ends when there is higher odds that a rowdy crowd will be looking for a place to stay. And it is RIGOROUSLY enforced. Labor Day, Memorial Day, Gus Macker, and 4th of July. Quiet time after 10PM is also enforced. Overall a nice place with larger than normal campsites (most of them, some are smaller), and heavily wooded.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Hey, wait a minute.

I've been harassed by beggars in Atlanta and the bird has flown my way in Phoenix.

Even heard the F bomb in a few campgrounds in Michigan.

It's been quite nice here lately though. The panhandlers have flown to cooler climes.

They'll be back by Halloween though......

Comparing motor vehicle registration and insurance.....AZ to MI.....I really don't see much of a difference. cost wise anyway.

I've only been to the MVD here in Phoenix once. That was to change my driver license and register my car (of course). But the license is good for 25 years and I do the registration thing on line. And we have the option to get the registration done every 2 years. We actually have satellite offices that just do registrations/plates.

It's kinda nice; much more streamlined than going to the Secretary of State to do that kinda stuff. And they take checks/debit/credit cards........not sure if they're doing that in MI yet.....

Oh.

Proud Lake Rec Area.

Best to go during the off season. May I suggest a 'lil more to the west and hit the Brighton State Rec Area. The DNR doesn't put up with many shenanigans in the rustic Murray Lake Campground. Secluded sites with quiet time at sundown. Only open on weekends; Memorial Day thru Labor Day.

Good fishin' too.

Bring your rowboat/canoe.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:01 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Again...some people think camping means drinking and being an idiot ...or, acting just like they do at home when they drink.
Ya mean sittin' 'round in my underdrawers cussin' at my old lady?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
There is a campground in this area that bans alcohol on certain week-ends when there is higher odds that a rowdy crowd will be looking for a place to stay. And it is RIGOROUSLY enforced. Labor Day, Memorial Day, Gus Macker, and 4th of July. Quiet time after 10PM is also enforced. Overall a nice place with larger than normal campsites (most of them, some are smaller), and heavily wooded.
That's a place where we break out the Merlot and paper cups.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Oh...which one is that? And your right. Most of the rowdy crowds will be on the Holidays. Platte River Campground is the same way...and is why most people who go there from in... and out of state, say it is one of the best campgrounds in the country. Tawas Point Campground ...where we were last week...was crazy. Huge groups of people at almost every site, some had 30 people at least. The people next to us had 25 people around their campfire, but everyone acted like adults....even the many teens. It definitely lived up to its reputation as one of the best in the country!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Oh...which one is that?
Mason County Campground. It is owned and operated by the County, and frankly has some rather unique features. If you fly model airplanes and are a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, there is a flying field right next door you are welcome to use.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ya mean sittin' 'round in my underdrawers cussin' at my old lady?

LOL! Yeah! We also learned to stay away from campgrounds near shady towns cause thats where the losers will go to party. One we stayed at a few years ago somewhere south of lansing had an indoor pool, so me the wife and kids went there to let the kids swim. A few minutes later a group of drunk teens came in and were being loud...swearing..and practically having sex in the pool right by our kids. I wanted to get the heck out of that place now! luckily we left the next day. That wasnot a good camping experience.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Hey, wait a minute.

I've been harassed by beggars in Atlanta and the bird has flown my way in Phoenix.

Even heard the F bomb in a few campgrounds in Michigan.

It's been quite nice here lately though. The panhandlers have flown to cooler climes.

They'll be back by Halloween though......

Comparing motor vehicle registration and insurance.....AZ to MI.....I really don't see much of a difference. cost wise anyway.

I've only been to the MVD here in Phoenix once. That was to change my driver license and register my car (of course). But the license is good for 25 years and I do the registration thing on line. And we have the option to get the registration done every 2 years. We actually have satellite offices that just do registrations/plates.

It's kinda nice; much more streamlined than going to the Secretary of State to do that kinda stuff. And they take checks/debit/credit cards........not sure if they're doing that in MI yet.....

Oh.

Proud Lake Rec Area.

Best to go during the off season. May I suggest a 'lil more to the west and hit the Brighton State Rec Area. The DNR doesn't put up with many shenanigans in the rustic Murray Lake Campground. Secluded sites with quiet time at sundown. Only open on weekends; Memorial Day thru Labor Day.

Good fishin' too.

Bring your rowboat/canoe.
Yes, we renew our registration and plates online here too, but if you are new to the state in AZ you have to go in person, since you don't already have a license or registration.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Mason County Campground. It is owned and operated by the County, and frankly has some rather unique features. If you fly model airplanes and are a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, there is a flying field right next door you are welcome to use.
Wow...looks real nice! Will have to check that one out some time. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
YAZ

Moldman, the same reason why I stopped going to the Rifle River et al.

Too much riff raff.

Bydand,

Muskegon State Park used to be real cool. Still the same? Don't know ifya venture that far south.....

I am so lucky that I was able to take the time and explore some of the coolest campgrounds in MI.

Ossineke.....south side of Thunder Bay on Lake Huron.

Monacle Lake.....just west of Brimley in da U.P.

Soldier Lake....a 'lil more west.

I've heard that Grass Lake (Jackson County?) is quite nice.

The list goes on and on......

Many of those well known party places can be quite nice during the spring & fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan