Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Start by looking into the Traverse city area, this is the best part of the state for retirees, and you claimed to be a bit artsy so Traverse sounds like what youd be looking for. Travese is close to the beaches, sand dunes, winerys and all that artsy stuff you said you like.
Is Traverse City affordable? I've always been under the impression that it was a more expensive place to live, but that impression is uninformed. Is the cost of living in the Traverse City area actually reasonable?

Quote:
If your looking for a bigger city that has some artsy culture then look at Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids. (Ann Arbor can be pricey though) The people who told you to stay away from Detroit are smart and you should listen to them. Detroit is dangerous, crime ridden and plain depressing. Flint and Lansing are working class towns, I would not suggest those either, as they are nothing special.
Grand Rapids might be a good place for him if he is insistent on coming to Michigan. Does Grand Rapids get snow-dumped on like Buffalo, New York? It's on the Eastern side of a big lake. (He says he wanted "drier".)

I agree that retiring in the Detroit suburbs would probably be very depressing, and I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily move to Flint, and Lansing's not so hot. The Detroit suburbs can be great if you have a lot of money and can live in upper middle class areas, but otherwise it would suck, especially if you don't have family in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
Colorado has a pretty dry climate. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, etc. might also be places with climates you would like better that won't be expensive.
Wyoming is intriguing, but would it be affordable? The problem is that with the natural resources boom, as I understand it, there was a housing shortage which increased the price of housing.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM

50 posts, read 150,220 times
Thanks to all of you who thought about and replied to my post.
I DO love CO. as someone mentioned and actually lived there for a time about 12 yrs ago. I loved it but since many of the people from CA. moved there the prices of housing went through the roof.
I got a personal message from Sunshineann and I tried to write her back but I'm not really sure how to navigate through this Citi-Data.
SO if Sunshineann would write back to me through my e-mail I'd sure appreciate it I also would like to contact the person that Perferator wrote about. The man that moved to Petoskey from Boone NC. My e-mail address is claymaster69@yahoo.com. Thank you to everyone for your in put I welcome any more you may want to give. Also if anyone writes to my e-mail PLEASE let me know that you are from Citi-Data as I just had to have 88 viruses removed from my machine last week so I don't open anything if I don't know where it's coming from. I am trusting that all you folks are nice and not looking to harm anyone's computer.
I also would appreciate it if someone could take the time and try to explain how to navigate Citi-Data. It is very confusing to me and i think I do miss a lot of things. Like for instance I didn't know how to write back to Sunshineann and how do you find the same page you wrote on the day before or stay with a post????????? Also what is the difference between "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" alone with how do you guys get all those cute little faces and stuff on your posts. Sorry,for so many questions, I get frustrated as I'm not that computer literate. Is there a place on Citi-Data that I can go to, to get my questions answered???? Thanks again, ya'all Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan