Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as Michigan's next governor?
Bernero 7 16.67%
Snyder 33 78.57%
Other 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times

Advertisements

Who do you want to see as Michigan's next governor: Virg Bernero, tough guy democrat and mayor of Lansing, or tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist (nerd) Rick Snyder of Ann Arbor?

I actually like both and think this might be one of Michigan's best gubernatorial elections in recent memory.

Bernero is loved by Michigan unions, but is also supported by a lot of business owners in Lansing, including the Michigan Chamber of Commerce. He also gained notoriety for slamming congress in Washington for dragging their feet on giving loans to save the automakers (which many are now saying may have saved the entire U.S. economy from implosion).

Snyder is a moderate Republican and a huge supporter of business/entrepreneurship, but also strongly believes in re-strengthening Michigan's urban areas, consolidating governments, mass transit and environmentalism.

Peter Luke lays out a pretty good post-primary analysis:

What's next for Rick Snyder, Virg Bernero in race to be Michigan's governor | MLive.com

Their websites:

http://www.votevirg.com/

http://www.rickformichigan.com/

*If your vote was "other," please provide more details.

Last edited by magellan; 08-09-2010 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
I will probably vote for Snyder again, but I like them both. Like I said in another post....I will not be dissapointed in the least if Bernaro wins. And totally agree with you Megellan...this will be a great..close race, maybe one of the best ever. I do however think Rick will end up being the winner.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I think that Snyder has a very good chance. People are sick of politics as usual and politicians in general. Snyder offers a variation from both. While Bernero offers more of the same party driven agenda based politicking that people are fed up with.

If Snyder is elected, it will probably be as much or more due to support from democrats and independants, than the traditional republican powerbase. It is my understanding that many to most conservative republicans are not real happy about him, but a lot of democrats like him a great deal.

I am just concerned that he will get to lansing and look around and say "Ok now what do I do?" I think that he will be readily influenced by experienced politicians who will lead him around by the nose. Snyder and his situation remind me in many ways of Arnold Swartzenegger.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that Snyder has a very good chance. People are sick of politics as usual and politicians in general. Snyder offers a variation from both. While Bernero offers more of the same party driven agenda based politicking that people are fed up with.

If Snyder is elected, it will probably be as much or more due to support from democrats and independants, than the traditional republican powerbase. It is my understanding that many to most conservative republicans are not real happy about him, but a lot of democrats like him a great deal.
As an example, Michigan Right to Live is not endorsing him for governor. They did endorse Cox, who lost by about 13%, which tells me people (Repubs) don't see it being a big "Michigan" issue.

Personally I didn't even know Bernero existed until a few days before the primary. Snyder has been campaigning over here in WM quite a bit, going all the way back to winter I believe (and I see Snyder signs around a lot, but we're in suburban Republican area).

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:

I am just concerned that he will get to lansing and look around and say "Ok now what do I do?" I think that he will be readily influenced by experienced politicians who will lead him around by the nose. Snyder and his situation remind me in many ways of Arnold Swartzenegger.
You are right in that Bernero is your stereotypical politician. This is why Snyder will most likely win. He reminds you more of someones grandpa then a politician.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As an example, Michigan Right to Live is not endorsing him for governor. They did endorse Cox, who lost by about 13%, which tells me people (Repubs) don't see it being a big "Michigan" issue.

Or Perhaps they do not see it as being a critical issue for gubernatorial candidates at this time. The Governor is not going to have a lot of impact on right to life issues. Besides, I think that people are so fed up with politicians who say whatever they think will make them popular during campaigns and then just go back to doing the same old thing as all their predecessors, that what position a candidate asserts during a campaign is irrelevant. Perhaps people are starting to look more at the candidate's background than at soudbites.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
Quote:
Or Perhaps they do not see it as being a critical issue for gubernatorial candidates at this time.
Snyder only won with a mere plurality of the votes with the anti-abortion candidates dividing the rest of the votes. Had the primary consisted of Snyder v. one single anti-abortion candidate he very well might not have won the primary.

Quote:
The Governor is not going to have a lot of impact on right to life issues.
I doubt that would prevent abortion opponents from regarding it as a very important issue.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,961 times
A nerd governor ? That would be interesting to see that !

Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Or Perhaps they do not see it as being a critical issue for gubernatorial candidates at this time. The Governor is not going to have a lot of impact on right to life issues. Besides, I think that people are so fed up with politicians who say whatever they think will make them popular during campaigns and then just go back to doing the same old thing as all their predecessors, that what position a candidate asserts during a campaign is irrelevant. Perhaps people are starting to look more at the candidate's background than at soudbites.
That's what I meant. The governor has very little, if any, impact on abortion laws in the State.

So it's either one of a couple of things, Republicans who voted for Snyder in the primary saw past that issue, didn't know his stand on the issue, or were actually Democrats voting on the Republican ticket to keep Hoekstra and/or Cox out of the running. I know there were a lot of Democrats (a lot!) in Grand Rapids "gaming" the primary, aimed at the congressional seats.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Snyder only won with a mere plurality of the votes with the anti-abortion candidates dividing the rest of the votes. Had the primary consisted of Snyder v. one single anti-abortion candidate he very well might not have won the primary.
Maybe, but that is such a hypothetical situation, that it's not relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan