Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I'm twisting my g/f's arm to go back to MI because I'm seeing 4 jobs in the GR for my trade.......oh how I'd love to snag that good pay and benefits, all the while riding the gravy train. She's from there and I'm not and she don't want to go, go figure.
Dump her.

Michigan > sex and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 AM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Dump her.

Michigan > sex and love.
It's tempting UK and of course if I made the move she would be sure to follow , I think. I keep hearing "Our kids need stability and not bounce from school to school". I say "Look at military kids, they move around all the time and it don't hurt them".

In any event , maybe another year of 98 degree weather will do the trick.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Wow! Great info on this thread!

I've been feeling a few pangs of homesick this spring. I've been out of MI since 2007, and out of the Midwest since 2009 - I've even poked around the job boards a little with the crazy idea of coming home even though the timing just isn't right yet. There is a lot of great to be said about the people of the Great Lakes region, both MI and OH.
michigan yes...ohio? i just threw up in my mouth....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
Not to be confused with OSU.....

... I have a lot of inlaws and several friends in OH (actually have more friends in OH than I do in MI... hmm) and I absolutely loved living in the Cleveland area. The PEOPLE of OH are pretty awesome. Especially when UofM gets around to beating OSU at something and I have bragging rights.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
It's great to see Michigan finally rebounding after a very dark period. I'm from SW Michigan by the way, used to post here all the time. I graduated from Western in 2009 and wanted so bad to stay in MI, but I was forced to move to find a job. I'm actually thinking about moving back to Niles within the next few years. Minnesota is an awesome state and I love it here, but it's just not home, if you know what I'm saying. Plus, it would be awesome to help, in some small way, bring Michiana and Michigan as a whole back.

Also, M Go Blue!!! It looks like OSU is gonna face some NCAA violations in the very near future . . .

Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
I knew once jen left the big chair the state would rebound. It takes a cannuck to kill the thumb.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
Lmao!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 AM

122 posts, read 482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Wow! Great info on this thread!

I've been feeling a few pangs of homesick this spring. I've been out of MI since 2007, and out of the Midwest since 2009 - I've even poked around the job boards a little with the crazy idea of coming home even though the timing just isn't right yet. There is a lot of great to be said about the people of the Great Lakes region, both MI and OH.
I'm right there with you when it comes to homesickness. I've actually taken it a step further and applied for some of those jobs. Since January I've had 5 phone interviews & 3 offers for face-to-face interviews in Cleveland and Columbus, even though the timing for moving isn't right for me either. But it's such a rush to have an interview in Ohio knowing it could actually result in a job offer. I just bought a house here last December but sometimes I feel like just putting a sign in the yard, packing up & moving back.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
I'm right there with you when it comes to homesickness. I've actually taken it a step further and applied for some of those jobs. Since January I've had 5 phone interviews & 3 offers for face-to-face interviews in Cleveland and Columbus, even though the timing for moving isn't right for me either. But it's such a rush to have an interview in Ohio knowing it could actually result in a job offer. I just bought a house here last December but sometimes I feel like just putting a sign in the yard, packing up & moving back.
Interesting -
so your in north carolina?
I tell you eveytime I go down to Kentucky for a cabin rental
the first few days up to about 5 I am fine
but then I am ready to pack up and cant wait to get home.

Home is Home-
funny how we dont realize the values we have in our communities

never really been into nc except around the smoky mnts
but I would imagine the culture of the midwest and the south
would clash
two diff mindsets in two diff places

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Interesting -
so your in north carolina?
I tell you eveytime I go down to Kentucky for a cabin rental
the first few days up to about 5 I am fine
but then I am ready to pack up and cant wait to get home.

Home is Home-
funny how we dont realize the values we have in our communities

never really been into nc except around the smoky mnts
but I would imagine the culture of the midwest and the south
would clash
two diff mindsets in two diff places
Yes and no ... Honestly, the culture of MI is more in line with the "true" culture of NC with the exception of work ethics. The problem is .. NC is losing its true culture because it has become a transplant state. Last year it was announced that Charlotte, NC was 51% transplant to 49% native. Majority of the transplants have come from NJ, NY, MA, CT, etc. For me, the clash of culture is actually more with the different transplants and the mentality of the Northeastern region of the US.

As for location, I miss the Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan