Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do with Michigan after everyone leaves the state?
Turn it into a gigantic National Park. 40 23.39%
Make it a huge prison, kinda like Escape From New York. 16 9.36%
My irrational hatred of Michigan runs so deep, I want to set the whole state on fire! 3 1.75%
Donate Michigan to Canada, let those Canuks give it a try! 34 19.88%
None of the above. It's obvious that this scenario is ridiculous, just like some opinions. 78 45.61%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM

541 posts, read 985,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is how I feel about Michigan. There will be people who stay in Michigan. I believe that Michigan can rebound from its problems. With that said, it is going to take work, much work. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Michigan.
No it wasn't,but our precious politicians damn near tore the state apart in a day,i am pretty sure they set some kind of record for worst managerial f@#k-up in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM

73,081 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
No it wasn't,but our precious politicians damn near tore the state apart in a day,i am pretty sure they set some kind of record for worst managerial f@#k-up in history.
Then there is a part of the problem. Better politicians are needed. Politicians need to be held to their actions and be moral stewards of their constituencies and geographical areas. Unfortunately, many politicians either forget that, or do not care.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Those of us who live above the Bridge , haven't seen much change. We just muddle along in Paradise , some years up , some down. Thats the way it is. Most of us would be happy to join Ontario , even Wisconsin , or better yet , our own state called Superior. The ills of the land down under are a mess , we want no part of it. We could govern quite nicely from the capital city , Marquette , thank you.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Land is still $3000 an acer around me. It has not come down at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Then there is a part of the problem. Better politicians are needed. Politicians need to be held to their actions and be moral stewards of their constituencies and geographical areas. Unfortunately, many politicians either forget that, or do not care.
sounds interesting,if you ask me we need a person who actually has some balls to go against the grain,challenge awareness,and make people think.Instead of these backdoor,gladhanding deals they are always pulling in lansing,get a person in there that tells it straight,to the people.A nuetral entity not owned by labor or bible thumpers,right or left.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:06 PM

The popular conception that all of Michigan is like Wayne County , hurts us all. Many lending banks and brokers have put a ban on loans, mortgages , and general lending in the entire state , just because of the super high foreclosure rate in SE parts of the state.
Michiganders should not all be painted with the same broad brush. driller makes a good point. I do not see property values worth any less in Marquette , except condos. The condo market is in the toilet everywhere except maybe NYC.We have some real bargains here now. A brand new 2 bedroom condo with a view of the lake is going for just over 100M. About half the price offered last year.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The popular conception that all of Michigan is like Wayne County , hurts us all. Many lending banks and brokers have put a ban on loans, mortgages , and general lending in the entire state , just because of the super high foreclosure rate in SE parts of the state.
Michiganders should not all be painted with the same broad brush. driller makes a good point. I do not see property values worth any less in Marquette , except condos. The condo market is in the toilet everywhere except maybe NYC.We have some real bargains here now. A brand new 2 bedroom condo with a view of the lake is going for just over 100M. About half the price offered last year.
here's a thought,on the banks and screw-ups in that area,start a grass-roots borrowing effort from local credit unions,hit the banks where it hurts,then see where their lending practices would stand after a good year of that kind of barrage,even borrow for the C.U.'s to pay any loans owed to these banks,what say you?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
here's a thought,on the banks and screw-ups in that area,start a grass-roots borrowing effort from local credit unions,hit the banks where it hurts,then see where their lending practices would stand after a good year of that kind of barrage,even borrow for the C.U.'s to pay any loans owed to these banks,what say you?
Boycotting banks won't work. Local funding , that stays in the area will. The practice of selling the paper before the ink is dry , is what has got us into all the problems in the first place........ A return to the old days when you knew your banker and he knew you is whats needed. Bank deregulation is at the root of the problem., too much consolidation , and loose lending practices.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM

73,081 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Boycotting banks won't work. Local funding , that stays in the area will. The practice of selling the paper before the ink is dry , is what has got us into all the problems in the first place........ A return to the old days when you knew your banker and he knew you is whats needed. Bank deregulation is at the root of the problem., too much consolidation , and loose lending practices.
There were problems in Michigan before the banks went into many problems. Michigan needs more jobs to keep people in. There needs to be a solution to keep people in and rebuild the state.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
There were problems in Michigan before the banks went into many problems. Michigan needs more jobs to keep people in. There needs to be a solution to keep people in and rebuild the state.
People don't want factories, they could pollute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan