Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM

74 posts, read 288,123 times

Advertisements

Anyone that works in or around the auto industry knows the cars are all made from basically the same parts suppliers now, and mostly assembled somewhere in the US. Foreign typically in non-union southern states.

The argument that certain brands break down quicker isn’t really relevant with today’s high standards and same robotic manufacturing processes using essentially the same components. Other than styling, why would you prefer a foreign car, especially if it’s just a commuter sedan or suv? They tend to cost the same if not more (especially toyota with outdated models)and does less to support the local economy. I can understand some of the luxuries and performance models that offer something unique.

Some people don’t think twice about it but others certainly recognize it and may question someone’s decision to spend their second biggest asset beside their house on a foreign product when we are known for our brands here.....pet peeve is seeing “buy local” stickers on a foreign car, what hypocrites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM

110 posts, read 170,483 times
Quote:
Other than styling, why would you prefer a foreign car, especially if it’s just a commuter sedan or suv?
I wanted all wheel drive and good gas mileage. I couldn't find a domestic AWD car that averaged 30+ MPG. Subaru had two options, not including the plug-in hybrid that I couldn't get due to not having anywhere to plug it in. So I bought an Impreza. I loved my Pontiac Grand Am in the 90s (so much fun to drive!), and my Saturn did an acceptable job. But the specific combo of features I was looking for led me to a Subaru.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:29 AM

485 posts, read 966,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather67 View Post
I wanted all wheel drive and good gas mileage. I couldn't find a domestic AWD car that averaged 30+ MPG. Subaru had two options, not including the plug-in hybrid that I couldn't get due to not having anywhere to plug it in. So I bought an Impreza. I loved my Pontiac Grand Am in the 90s (so much fun to drive!), and my Saturn did an acceptable job. But the specific combo of features I was looking for led me to a Subaru.
Awesome! I just joined the Subaru family with an Outback. Amazing car and we haven't even hit winter yet to really use the AWD. We are now all "foreign" (this Outback was made in Indiana, it replaced our Chrysler van) with the OB and a 2010 Hyundai Sonata, also a great value car we got new and just keeps running well! Lansing area there are a TON of Equinox's but it appears to be more and more Subaru's (or am I just "seeing" them more?).

Old 11-06-2019, 06:59 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Well.....I worked for one of the domestic Big Three for almost four decades but now all three of our vehicles were designed and built in Europe.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:00 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
I had a little Toyota. It was a fine car for a while with 30 mpg, until it had a hot start condition that couldn't be diagnosed. Toyota may have acquired that by merging tech with GM. Then the rust ate it and that was my only import.

Last edited by Nattering Heights; 11-07-2019 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 06:38 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Awesome! I just joined the Subaru family with an Outback. Amazing car and we haven't even hit winter yet to really use the AWD. We are now all "foreign" (this Outback was made in Indiana, it replaced our Chrysler van) with the OB and a 2010 Hyundai Sonata, also a great value car we got new and just keeps running well! Lansing area there are a TON of Equinox's but it appears to be more and more Subaru's (or am I just "seeing" them more?).
Yeah, Subaru for me as well, drove many years in the Snowbelt before moving a bit southward and was an invaluable tool. I paid $8K cash for a 2004 back in 2011 and still have it. US brands had zero to offer with the same features and amenities at any price point. Audi and Subaru are the gold standard for AWD systems.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yeah, Subaru for me as well, drove many years in the Snowbelt before moving a bit southward and was an invaluable tool. I paid $8K cash for a 2004 back in 2011 and still have it. US brands had zero to offer with the same features and amenities at any price point. Audi and Subaru are the gold standard for AWD systems.
Subaru's have an enormous following in snowbelt areas & crunchy college town type areas (Ann Arbor being a prime example). But more & more I've noticed a significant, growing marketshare in our nearby metro areas such as Metro Detroit & Chicagoland as well.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:20 AM

485 posts, read 966,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Subaru's have an enormous following in snowbelt areas & crunchy college town type areas (Ann Arbor being a prime example). But more & more I've noticed a significant, growing marketshare in our nearby metro areas such as Metro Detroit & Chicagoland as well.
Nice...I got my Subaru from Chicago (Mid-Michigan resident) by delivery. Grand Subaru has the most rock-bottom prices anywhere for them so I bet they are getting much business from the immediate area! Mid Michigan I'm seeing quite a few more too (or I'm just noticing them more I suppose now that I have one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan