Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM

43 posts, read 103,823 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me info abut this town? I have an opportunity to move there with a job transfer from Little Rock Arkansas, but know nothing about this town. Can you enlighten me? I am looking for great elementary and middle schools, safe neighborhoods, and general information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM

351 posts, read 797,359 times
You should be able to find all that here. Did you search city data for marquette?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Marquette is in the UP's (Upper Peninsula) snow belt. The city receives 172" of snow per year, on average. Bring warm clothes and keep a survival kit in your car. Marquette is also home to Northern Michigan University, making it somewhat of a college town. The area is beautiful, on the shores of Lake Superior and nestled in the northwoods.

Marquette, and the entire UP, is in a very rural, isolated area. The closest major cities are Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN, and they are both about a 7-8 hour drive away. Detroit is about an 11 hour drive away, Grand Rapids is 10 hours.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 AM

34 posts, read 56,917 times
I suggest you do a search for Marquette on this site and see what others have to say about the area. My opinion - it's a fantastic place to live and to raise a family. Decide for yourself. Make a visit to the area, talk to the locals. I think you will agree that most people who live here enjoy it and wouldn't be anywhere else.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 AM

147 posts, read 226,496 times
i used to live there, schools are great, they get LOTS OF SNOW , beautiful,people are friendly and helpful , i love it there.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
The Upper Peninsula is like Arkansas... without the heat and humidity. Very outdoorsy. Marquette is the biggest city in the U.P. College town with Northern Michigan University here, and the area becoming kind of the "hub" of the U.P. Starting to get more big box stores and things like that. Not as big as Little Rock and perhaps won't offer all the city amenities you might be used to, but if you like outdoors life you would enjoy this place. Probably the biggest adjustment would be the winters, as it is for most people.

However, don't let statistics like 150+ inches of snow scare you. In my opinion, at least in the city of MQT, it's not bad at all. It's not like you're going to have 15 feet of snow covering your front yard at once. Since buying my house four years ago I've never had more than maybe two feet of snow on the ground at any one time, maybe not even that much. You get outside of town out towards Negaunee and Ishpeming a little to the west up in the hills and that's where the true snow belt is. Marquette is a bit shielded from the worst weather. And the city does a great job clearing the roads.

The people are friendly, the schools are good, crime is very low. Summers here are wonderful with temps up in the 70s and 80s and sometimes in the 90s. The days are LONG (like sunrise 6am and sunset almost 10pm), which I love. And you got a big beautiful lake to enjoy just down the road.

As for major cities nearby, I'll dispute a few of the distances a previous poster listed. Detroit is only 7 hours, not 11 hours. I'm from Ann Arbor and have made that trip many times. Green Bay is 3 hours. Duluth about 4 hours. Milwaukee is 5 hours. Chicago is about 6 hours.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Is there snow in Marquette right now? Down here under the bridge we don't have any yet.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Is there snow in Marquette right now? Down here under the bridge we don't have any yet.
I only have a couple of inches of snow in my yard. Not much...yet...

Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

147 posts, read 226,496 times
i would love to move back if i could find a job there.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I would move to Marquette in a heartbeat if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan