Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,243 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am a single 35 yo European guy and I am considering taking a job in Midland (Dow Corning).
I have looked through apartments for rent in Saginaw, Midland and Bay City and I really do not know which place would be best fitting my personality. I need some people around me after work (bars etc) and it seems like Bay City is the place to choose for living. The question is: which part of Bay City? Perhaps Bay City is not the right choice?
I want to be in a situation where I do not have to drive to work longer than 25 minutes and I definitely do not want to drive to get a few drinks. I do not mind taking a taxi to go out to bars, but as long as the distance is within 5-7 miles. How is the taxi service in the tri-city area anyway? Is it easy and quick to get a cab?
Also, how is dating in the tri-city area? Is it all married people with kids or are there some single women around 30yo?
Does anybody got any thoughts on that?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Get a car.

Live in Midland.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Let me clarify. I will certainly drive to work using my car (not longer than 25 minutes). My question is really about night life. Where should I live to take a taxi (not further than 7 miles) to a good bar (nice people, good beer selection). Since I am still single I do not necessarily want to live in a "family-oriented" town.
Thanks
M

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM

302 posts, read 769,350 times
I don't know much about the area but a quick google search shows that there are about 40 bars in Bay City, and a search of Okcupid shows that there are 158 single girls within 25 miles of Bay City between the ages of 21 and 33 who have logged into their dating profiles in the last month. Many of them seem to live in Saginaw, so I'd assume many of those would be students at Saginaw Valley State University.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area will show up to give you better advice then can be gleaned from a quick google search. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM

Saginaw would be the last place I would want to live of the three.

Just pick a night and listen to the news.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
If you want a more urban lifestyle with amenities and safety, choose Bay City.

If you want to be an urban pioneer and the gritty urban vibe or crime rate do not scare you off, Saginaw may work.

Midland always felt more suburban and cookie cutter to me, but they do have a downtown.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys. Do you have an idea about nice apartment complexes in Bay City?
happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
Bay City is a bar mecca. Midland is nearly puritan by contrast. Based on your requirements, the best location for you would be somewhere between Bay City and Midland. The east side of Bay City is about 25 minutes from Midland, so that would be the extremity for you I think.

Check for a place on Bay City's west side, the bars are all over but Midland Street is the bar district in town and has most of the clubs and bars. Midland Street is also on the west side. If you find a location west of the Saginaw River and east of the village of Auburn, you will be centrally located from anywhere in the Tri-Cities and be able to hop between Midland, Saginaw and Bay City with relative speed and ease.

The trouble with Bay City is that there aren't really any great apartment complexes. There area handful of complexes, but the vast majority of rentals are rooms or segments of old Victorian era houses.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,740 times
We have a summer place in Alger, north of Bay City, so I know the area. I would advise you to live in Midland, if that is where you will be working. The closer you are to work, the less you will pay for gasoline, and winters can give some tricky driving. As you settle in, you will learn about places to go for recreation. Better to drive a greater distance for the bar scene once or twice a week, then have to drive further to work five days a week. Your work aquaintances can clue you in to the best places to go.

Midland also has a great medical center there.

Midland, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up "Midland, Mi bars" on the web. There seems to be plenty of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan