Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,743,435 times

Advertisements

Omygosh all of you in Michigan!

Great Lakes Losing 2.5 Billion Gallons Per Day Due to Manmade... -- re> PARIS, ONTARIO, Canada, Aug. 14 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

There is no news about this locally? The real problem is very serious indeed. After reading here at your MI board for so long I haven't seen anything about this until today when someone posted about low water level in Traverse City.

Maybe I missed it but I did do a search here at your MI board, and couldn't see anything.

Was thinking of relocating to somewhere near the shoreline, but wow. Things there could change (and have been changing) drastically, not in a good way.

I hope there are groups of concerned people who are working on getting this solved immediately. It's beyond reason why they would just let this keep happening.

best,
toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Omygosh all of you in Michigan!

Great Lakes Losing 2.5 Billion Gallons Per Day Due to Manmade... -- re> PARIS, ONTARIO, Canada, Aug. 14 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

There is no news about this locally? The real problem is very serious indeed. After reading here at your MI board for so long I haven't seen anything about this until today when someone posted about low water level in Traverse City.

Maybe I missed it but I did do a search here at your MI board, and couldn't see anything.

Was thinking of relocating to somewhere near the shoreline, but wow. Things there could change (and have been changing) drastically, not in a good way.

I hope there are groups of concerned people who are working on getting this solved immediately. It's beyond reason why they would just let this keep happening.

best,
toodie
It's been discussed a bit in different threads in this section, but it's only been in the last few weeks that it has become more prevalent how low the lake levels are (lowest on record). I noticed it a few weekends ago in Traverse City in the bay.

I personally didn't realize that the St Clair dredging was legitimately being looked at as the cause. I thought it was conspiracy theories. But WOW.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,756 times
Well, it's sure scary. I didn't realize the connection to the St Clair dredging either. Our lakes are so precious, and look what we are allowing to happen to them.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,743,435 times
I hadn't seen any discussion about it and thought that was strange, so thanks for pointing out that there has. That's a heck of a lot of water disappearing from your lake. I guess strolling on the shore won't be the same. From what I've read about it, doesn't look like it will be able to recover.

You would think people would be a little concerned!

I looked at the WI board and the only discussion there is that the lake level is lower than it has been in a long time, but no mention of why or how.

best,
toodie

Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I believe the real problem is APATHY and the idea the government will fix it IF anything is wrong.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
Doesn't deeper rivers mean larger boats into the Great Lakes (and more business)? And also isn't the canal in Chicago also effecting the levels somewhat? Either way, I think it's safe to assume that human activity is directly affecting the lakes.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe the real problem is APATHY and the idea the government will fix it IF anything is wrong.
Alright, I'm calling shenanigans on this one. I don't like big government either, but who else is supposed to fix it? The corp of engineers (government) did the dredging in the first place. Should we all grab a shovel and try to fill it in?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
This is a good write up about the current water levels.

He makes good points that seem to paint the picture that it's not global warming/drought causing this, but most likely something else. There has been plenty of precipitation overall, and the other Great Lakes are much closer to average levels.

Great Lakes Water Levels | WOODTV.com Blogs

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
I did some research and there are still debates going on as to whether it is due to increased evaporation (from less ice coverage on the lake due to lake warming), or less precipitation (which seems be debunked now). I think the evaporation theory is bunk. Which is quicker, evaporate water out of a bucket or pop a hole in the bottom of the bucket?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM

447 posts, read 1,246,045 times
Well. I'll just cut and paste my reply in the other post:

"We are currently equaling mid-1960s lows. In the 1980's we were at record highs. I will bet anyone that in about 2040, we will be experiencing record high levels again.

It's a cycle, people! Like everything else in nature. It's been going on for millions of years. (Or since Adam and Eve, if you prefer...)

Most people can't or don't bother to see the world beyond their own back fence and have no perspective beyond their own puny lifespans."

50 years ago docks were high and dry. 25 years ago lakefront homes were being washed into lake Michigan due to high water levels.

Vesuvius, Krakatoa, Mount St. Helen and other natural disasters have had more to do with climate, ice pack density and water levels than anything man has every done. (Although the Chinese are pretty close to equaling the sulfuric pollution from volcanos with their powerplent development and little or no environmental concern.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan