Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the posts, but I think I should elaborate a little more on retired. I'm only 43. An individual only has to do 20 years in the military to "retire." I went in at 17 and "retired" at 38. I'm a contractor on a military base now, but want to look for a spot to go to (sooner than later).

So when we refer to "retired," (at the risk of offending older retirees), I'm not ready to hit "wineries" or go golfing.. haha. I AM low maintance though and snow does NOT bother me, in fact, I welcome it. I'll be retired. Where will I need to go? "Oh look, it's snowing a lot outside. Guess I'll go back to bed!" lol

Thanks and keep the ideas coming! I really do appreciate it and am glad I found this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Default Your guidelines describe most of Michigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hi all. I'm retired from the Navy, and currently live in San Angelo, Texas (a small city in west Texas). The population is deceiving at 100,000, but that's including a lot of the smaller outlying areas also. The town is fantastic. Summers are hot (real hot), and winters are mild (gets into the 20's sometimes, and maybe snows 1 day a year). The town is accomodating with 2 super Walmarts, a Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. There's a mall here, but it's very small and one level. Crime is extremely low and normally conducted between people who know each other. Drugs are here of course, but you have to look for them. Even in the less desirable sides of town, you don't just see people selling/doing drugs.

I wouldn't even consider moving if it wasn't for the climate. I really feel pulled to something with seasons. Being retired, a job would be okay, but not required. More for my wife (she's a CNA (certified nursing assistant). If I could root this city and move it I would. So, I'm looking for a city with essentially the same offerings as I've listed above. I don't want flat, but don't want to live on the side off the mountains, either. I would like a climate that is warm in the summer, snows in the winter, and rains in between. I could probably go for about 200k for a house, but would rather have a small place (1500-1800 sqft), and some land. I would like to be close to water (lake or river), but don't want to have to worry every 5 years about flooding. A small town near a larger city (no more than 60 mins drive) would be preferable also.

If any of you reading this can point me towards any towns that I could look into, I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks.
I would look at the Lakeland area of Michigan -- Pinckney, Ore Creek, that area. They are asking a lot for the houses but right now they are very easy to haggle down. The vast majority are close to all kinds of water.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:17 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
If you desire affordable housing prices and lots of lakes look at interior Michigan around Houghton Lake. Also, that area is not that far away from Traverse City and Grand Rapids off to the SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan