Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM

69 posts, read 75,865 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if there is reliable internet service in Ironwood? We're considering a move to Ironwood and my husband works from home, so reliable, relatively fast internet is a must.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,956 times
I also have an online business and just relocated from a larger city.
Charter or AT&T are available.

Charter is a bit faster (cable internet), AT&T is hi-speed DSL.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 PM

47 posts, read 70,046 times
Talking More Questions About Ironwood, Mi.

My wife and I (as well as our 3 young children) are also (strongly) considering a move to Ironwood (hopefully within the next 1-2 months) and have a question about cell service. What seems to be the best in that area? We're coming from North Florida where we have a wide variety to choose from, but we realize that may not be the case up there.

From everything we have read about Ironwood it really seems to be a great town to raise a family. Yes, we have done our homework on the economy up there and we realize that jobs are quite scarce. Fortunately for us, we are very resourceful (and thrifty!) and have never had much of a problem making money in service related businesses (we currently own a pretty successful housecleaning service, but realize that wouldn't work up there due to the economy).

I mostly just need info on cell service up that way. We truly appreciate any info we can get on the matter. Thank you in advance! We can't wait to be Yoopers! By the way, I have lived in Escanaba twice before, both times in the dead of winter. I realize that Ironwood gets a LOT more snow than Esky, as well as getting considerably colder. We're simply sick and tired of the heat and humidity of Florida. Besides my wife and kids have NEVER seen snow. We're all more than ready for the change.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,956 times
Go with Verizon. I moved to the UP with AT&T, then switched to T-Mobile....only to learn that Verizon gets the best reception.

I noticed you lived up here and expect the snow, just remember that moving before May can be a pain. Unless you have a place that's been shoveled/plowed already. I came up in April and nothing was more fun than that 8 hour drive up with the family, only to shovel out a path to move in.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 AM

Awesome! Thank you VERY much! We currently have Verizon, so that makes things even simpler. Honestly, we're SO ready to be up there that we don't even care if it takes HOURS of shoveling to get us in the door. LOL
What part of the UP are you in?
Thank you again for all the advice! Can't wait to be up there!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 AM

29 posts, read 33,999 times
You're going to want Verizon for cell and as for internet, depending on where you are, probably charter. ATT sucks all around.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyhellen View Post
You're going to want Verizon for cell and as for internet, depending on where you are, probably charter. ATT sucks all around.
Thank you! Good to know! Thank you again for ALL of your help. I know I am probably hounding you to death with all my questions/concerns with the area. I just can't enter lightly into such a major, life changing move with my family. Again, ANY questions you have about MY neck of the woods, just give me a holler.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:59 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Guy View Post
Thank you! Good to know! Thank you again for ALL of your help. I know I am probably hounding you to death with all my questions/concerns with the area. I just can't enter lightly into such a major, life changing move with my family. Again, ANY questions you have about MY neck of the woods, just give me a holler.
Ha, I would move to a different country before I would ever choose to live in Florida. That would be my worst nightmare due to the heat, humidity, and brutal sun angle.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:28 PM

No, I wouldn't imagine you would want to live in this insanely hot state. Lol. Judging by your name, I would say that you currently live in New Hampshire. Judging by your love of the UP, I would say that you love the extreme cold as much as I do. BethanyHellen has been talking with me about a potential move to Florida, though. She's wanting to get out of the cold of Ironwood (what is WRONG with her?! LOL) and come down South.
I recommended extreme Northern Kentucky/possibly Northern West Virginia (or even certain parts of Tennessee) as better options. People who have never been down here really have no clue just EXACTLY how hot and humid it is here. She said she thinks she can handle it because it gets pretty humid there in Ironwood during the summers. I, of course, think she's in for a VERY rude awakening when she walks outside in July or August and there's 100% humidity and an actual temp of 110F, putting the heat index at upwards of 125-130F. Especially when she realizes that it's a 9-10 month deal here.

Clearly, though, there are plenty of people here who can truly handle the sweltering heat. I am not one of those people. As my Dad always said (RIP), "This swampland isn't fit for man nor beast!" Truer words were never spoken. He was like me. Both of us always wanted to move up to Barrow, Alaska. Seriously. If I could talk my wife into it (and if it wasn't so outrageously expensive up there), we would be there in a heartbeat.

One of these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan