Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times

Advertisements

So on a whim, my dd and I spent an entire day this past weekend driving from our home in SE Michigan up to some of the tourist towns along the Lake Michigan shore, as we have never, after living in Michigan for 16 years, seen Lake Michigan from the Michigan side. (I know, unreal isn't it?) Anyway, we hit Holland, Muskegon, and Ludington before heading home, but we really didn't have time to see much or check out any available activities.

We are considering going back and spending an entire weekend so that we can see more and not feel so rushed, but we're not sure if late October is a good time to go. Does anyone know if any of the seasonal activities, such as kayaking or bike rentals, are still available, or is that area much like Mackinaw City where everything tends to shut down after Labor Day? We don't mind that it would be somewhat deserted, because that is infinitely better than fighting peak season crowds, but we also don't want to find that everything is closed for the season already.

BTW, we were really impressed! What a beautiful area, and Lake Michigan is absolutely gorgeous. We live near Lake Erie, and I can't get over the difference in the two lakes, not to take anything away from Lake Erie. Lake Michigan is so clean and pristine! I can't believe we are just now getting around to discovering the other side of our great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 PM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Fall is a great time to travel the west side of michigan and "up north". The colors of the leaves are beautiful. Saugatuck is a great city to check out also. Mackinaw will still have some stuff going on but prob not as much as they do in the summer.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Here is the schedule of events in saugatuck for the month of november. Saugatuck-Douglas Calendar of Events for November There isnt much of anything going on in Mackinaw after the last weekend of october. You would prob enjoy Mackinaw more if you waited till the spring or summer next year.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Again I recommend the Sleeping Bear area, Frankfort to Empire to Glen Arbor on to Leland's Fishtown - with scenic stops in between like Point Betsie lighthouse, Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and Lake Michigan Road (county 708) to park at Platte River. The towns don't shut down totally during the Fall color season.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.73025...16512&t=h&z=17

Visitor center for maps and info is in Empire and some areas within the park require a pass, some possibly shut down due to sequester.
Lighthouse/museums are at the tips of Leelanau County and Old Mission Peninsula.
In my opinion Ludington is a "gateway" to the better stuff northward.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
The weather will probably not be favorable for biking or kayaking, at least looking at the long range forcast...they are calling for snow/snowshowers in a week or so. You can still see some awesome sights, check out some of the shops or even go wine tasting. Head to the bridge and even the U.P.!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I would highly recommend staying in Allanson, MI right on 31. Stafford's took over the dumpy motel about 2 years ago and completely revamped/remodeled it. It feels like a 4 star resort and is only $80/night. It has a 24 hr indoor pool, outdoor gas firepits/bonfire, hot tubs etc . Crooked River Lodge - Stafford's

From there - it's only a 20 minute drive to Mackinac City. 20 minutes to Petoskey or Harbor Springs for coffee shops/dinner etc. Hard to beat that deal. Both of those towns are awesome.

They actually keep their prices constant all year - which I like. I stayed there the weekend before Labor Day (which is huge for the bridge walk) and they don't jack up their prices - so I tend to be loyal.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - Fall is a great time in Northern Michigan but it goes by quickly. I just got back from a long weekend up there from last weekend and it was great. The weather is turning fast, so check the weather before you commit. Last weekend, Saturday was 75 and sunny. This weekend looks more normal for this time of the year with temps in the 50s and scattered showers.

This weekend will still be good in many areas for fall colors. The area inland and at higher elevations were probably at peak color last weekend (Gaylord area, along US-131, Petoskey). Areas along Lake Michigan and in an around Traverse City still had a lot of green. The leaves will go fast, they'll be down in about 2 weeks. All it will takeis a good strong rain and high wind.

Kayaking and biking will be highly weather dependent.

Fall is generally quieter, but most places still are open on weekend through October. I would avoid going up in November as many of the seasonal places close by that time, the leaves are down by then.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Enjoy the cool crisp..slow paced life up here. Stop in a little cafe with a great view and have some coffee. Travel down some back roads or walk an empty beach. This is a great time of year to enjoy things without huge crowds.
Lake Michigan is amazing calm, but see it when there is a strong wind and you will be in awe!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:24 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Many things north of the bridge are shutting down for the winter.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
This is the time of year that I would do my last camping/fishing trip to the U.P. until springtime. Soldier Lake campground is still open (about 20 miles west of Brimley), and you'll have the whole place to yourself.

After fishing, you can hang out and see an unbelievable amount of critters scurrying around.

They have to get ready for winter too, eh?

Watch out for black bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan