Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 19,888 times

Advertisements

I was stopped right in front of my house by a state cop on the 30th for having a snow covered plate (the whole back end was), I didn't know it was covered, because it wasn't like that before I left my destination 4 hours before that. He asked for the usual information and I gave him my expired insurance (expired in October), because I never renewed it, due to financial troubles. He asked me if the plate matches the car and double checked the vin number and then the other officer wanted my boyfriends information too. They didn't believe at first that they stopped us in front of our house, until they looked at my address on my license and then they gave my boyfriend the third degree because he doesn't have an ID. They also looked in my backseat and asked who the Xbox and TV belonged to, which I thought was weird.

Anyway, I told the officer that I was expecting to get a new insurance card in the mail, which was a lie, because I was nervous and didn't want to get my car taken away or something. So he gave me a warning for the snow covered plate and a citation for no proof of insurance, and told me to go to the courthouse on or before the 10 days period to show them proof of insurance of which I really don't have. Well, new years came and then we got that massive snow storm, so government buildings were closed around here, and the roads are still so bad that getting to the courthouse isn't going to be an easy task since it's not right in this town. So, tomorrow will be 10 days and the back of the citation says that you have to either call or show up on or before that period or your license will be suspended if it's a traffic violation, because it's a misdemeanor to just ignore it.

I shouldn't have even been driving, I know that, it was stupid. I know I need insurance, but it's hard paying $200 to $300 a month for it, which I don't even know why it's so high for no-fault insurance when I have never been in an accident and this is my very first ticket/citation that I have ever gotten, plus it's not like I'm driving an overly expensive car, it's only a 2002 Ford Focus.

So I don't know what to do. I want to set up a payment plan for the fines that I know I will get, is that possible? How much do you think the fines will be? Will I lose my license? Do I have to go down there? It says on the back of the citation that I can just sign it and mail in a check or money order with it, but I don't even know how much it's going to be. I will have to call them in the morning, but I'm afraid to go down there, because so many people have said you could get jail time for it. I know it was a stupid thing that I did and I am so terrified of ending up in jail for it. I've never driven without insurance until these past few months, but I need to drive to get to my low paying job so I can have money to save up to get insurance again and to now pay these fines.

Please don't harp about how I should end up in jail and stuff like that, because as I said, it's stupid of what I've been doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 PM

293 posts, read 909,472 times
Definitely either call or show up. And by the way, we don't have debtor's prison in America, so you won't go to jail for not having the money. But do not get caught driving again without liability insurance. That would definitely be a bad move.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
I don't like to pay my insurance either.....but, I do.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I very much doubt that your car will be impounded or you'll end up in jail... But you need to either call or show up tomorrow for sure. And if you can show up with proof of plpd you should be A-OK.

And make it a priority to pay that insurance....it will get a LOT cheaper after 6 months.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,496 times
I would call that division of court and explained that you couldn't get there because of the weather and to allow you a little more time to get proof. Also DONT drive until you get insurance.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
You knew your insurance was expired. Yet you chose to drive anwway.

When asked a question by a government official, police, you purposely choose to lie.

If I was the judge, I would spare you jail, but I would liquidate your car to pay the fine and prevent you from further endangerment to society.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Driver Responsibility fees will be in effect for the next 2 years (if convicted)

An additional $500 per year for car registration..Google driver responsibility state of michigan for exact details and fees.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 19,888 times
Well, I called the courthouse a bit ago and was told that it will be $115 if I pay it today over the phone, if I wait till tomorrow, it will go up $25. Also, I asked her if my license will become suspended if I don't pay it right away and she said that it won't happen unless I don't pay it at all within 66 days. So that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I will definitely need to try to get insurance, even though it costs an arm and a leg, no matter how long I have it for. I read that in 2012, 1.5 million people in Michigan are uninsured, which is sad, but the costs are so high. I have friends in Indiana and Kentucky that couldn't believe what it costs in this state for minimum insurance, because they normally pay around $90 a month.

Lastly, they have stopped doing driver responsibility fees for such offenses in Michigan, which went into effect in October 2012 - Click here

Last edited by Resendetra; 01-09-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
Well, I called the courthouse a bit ago and was told that it will be $115 if I pay it today over the phone, if I wait till tomorrow, it will go up $25. Also, I asked her if my license will become suspended if I don't pay it right away and she said that it won't happen unless I don't pay it at all within 66 days. So that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I will definitely need to try to get insurance, even though it costs an arm and a leg, no matter how long I have it for. I read that in 2012, 1.5 million people in Michigan are uninsured, which is sad, but the costs are so high. I have friends in Indiana and Kentucky that couldn't believe what it costs in this state for minimum insurance, because they normally pay around $90 a month.

Lastly, they have stopped doing driver responsibility fees for such offenses in Michigan, which went into effect in October 2012 - Click here

Wow, breaking the law just got cheaper. Sounds like having NO insurance is still a class II vilation..not having PROOF of insurance when you did have insurance is no longer a Class I violation...

Best of luck. I would call a laywer.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-09-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post

Wow, I think you lucked out!

You will definitely pay a premium for insurance if you haven't maintained coverage because you're automatically considered high risk. But after six months the premiums should be very significantly decreased. Call around for quotes, they can vary quite a bit. I have Farm Bureau.

Finally, there is a reason that auto insurance places open up right next to Secretary of State - and sell insurance by the week. My agent tells me that a very high percentage of drivers (can't recall details) are insured for one week, or one month, per year. So they can get their tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan