Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 20 years later, which cities come back.
Benton Harbor 4 9.30%
Kalamazoo 10 23.26%
Battle Creek 6 13.95%
Ann Arbor 29 67.44%
Detroit 15 34.88%
Lansing 15 34.88%
Flint 5 11.63%
Saginaw 3 6.98%
Bay City 8 18.60%
Grand Rapids 23 53.49%
Muskegon 7 16.28%
Traverse City 25 58.14%
Sault Ste Marie 11 25.58%
Marquette 18 41.86%
Cheboygan 7 16.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times

Advertisements

OK so as of as of right now Michigan doomed.

The US car makers will soon be out of business, All the big banks are leaving, No one has a job, the U.P. is about to declare for secession from the L.P. that will soon create a interstate civil war, aaaaaand ravenous man eating deer are soon to infest Mi. Killing Million of Michigan residents. Oh! Oh! Oh! almost forgot Michigan will soon be hit strait on by earth killing comet.............Ok I fibbing a little bit. Not everyones unemployed in MI.

So OK Let say after all this happens Michigan still exist and people still are there. I fact let me be so bold to say in 20 years time or less that a large amount of people from outside Michigan will want to move there. I know crazy. But let pretend shall we.

So now Michigan is gaining population from out of state implants.

So my question to you is what cities/towns are going to make a comeback? And Why do you believe these cities will attract growth?
Granted let me state that some cities are doing well GR And Traverse city aren't doing to bad. But maybe they will be doing even better in 20 years time.

Btw I going to add a poll to of some larger cities to this tread. I try to make so you can vote for more than one choice. I be interested in seen what cities people believe will come back and which ones bite the dust.

Oh and last thing. Just a warning man eating deer look like this.

So be safe out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
My Guess is , even in the wort of times, and the worst of places, the cities will survive. In fact , look at Benton Harbor, they rioted , they burned it down, all the business moved out ,.......its still there , and in 20 years it will be there, about the same.
A small town in any state , is more at risk than any city. I know of several that had the boom and bust, and now are gone. I live near one , Grand Junction, Mi. Due to lack of interest , no one wanted to run it....they gave up their charter.......now , its been taken of the map...........I still eat breakfast there on Saturdays however.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Oh My, there is one of those in my front yard right now. . . . . .. .

Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,063 times
Default Change Quotient

At least when I looked at the poll results (after I voted) one thing came to mind with regard to how optimistic we are about the future of our cities. That one thing is willingness to change. When you look at the results, the cities that come to mind about reluctance to change are those that are at the bottom of the list. The cities that are more willing to accept new things seem to be those that rise to the top.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,360 times
Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor I believe is doing much better than any typical large city in Michigan. Hopefully Lansing, Michigan improves ( I mean it is the capital city ) and gets a booming population or positive increase in population/economy.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM

124 posts, read 477,140 times
So how many people think Detroit would come back vs. how many people WISH Detroit wouldn't come back? When people ask me where I'm from I always say Michigan, NOT Detroit....makes me wonder how many other people feel the same way.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceAZ View Post
So how many people think Detroit would come back vs. how many people WISH Detroit wouldn't come back? When people ask me where I'm from I always say Michigan, NOT Detroit....makes me wonder how many other people feel the same way.
Its all in degrees.........what if you lived in Gary ?....... Detroit is no worse than any other rust belt city, Cleveland,Pittsburgh,Erie,Toledo,Akron,Youngstown, etc.Most people these days have moved to the burbs, and , they always name the burb , not the metro,.or the main City. unless its Chicago........of coarse.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM

124 posts, read 477,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its all in degrees.........what if you lived in Gary ?....... Detroit is no worse than any other rust belt city, Cleveland,Pittsburgh,Erie,Toledo,Akron,Youngstown, etc.Most people these days have moved to the burbs, and , they always name the burb , not the metro,.or the main City. unless its Chicago........of coarse.
Actually I tell them I'm from Grand Rapids (which is true) but no one seems to have ever heard of Grand Rapids so then I hold up my hand and show them gotta love having that handy dandy map always available lol.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM

138 posts, read 979,370 times
120+ people already voted in this poll. Not 1 person voted for Toledo. I live in Toledo and I didn't vote for her either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan