Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Absolutely. It's sounding good so far. I will definitely be looking into this further, thanks.

I might as well ask right now: is there anything seriously wrong with traverse city?
If you don't like the extra population and traffic in the summer, it's completely fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times
The economy of Traverse City pales in comparison to larger cities downstate. (At least for those who still have to work for a living).

Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
We moved up here near TC a year and a half ago and love it! We are just far enough away to enjoy the peace and quiet, but close enough to go whenever we need something from pretty much any kind of store you need. If you like snow, this is a fantastic place to live, but they keep the roads in great shape. The only drawback is Summer tourists, but really even that is nothing to cry about. The natural beauty and the abundance of things to do in any season trumps anything negative up here. Traverse City is pretty much buzzing all year round these days.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 AM

223 posts, read 315,046 times
Awesome, Traverse City sounds great!

I think I'm qualified to handle what I imagined the most obvious drawbacks are:

Cold, gray, snowy winters: I grew up between Cleveland and Buffalo on Lake Erie. I know the deal.
Smaller area with fewer jobs: I work from home

Do you guys feel like it's isolating being up there? Or maybe that it's too much of a small-town feel (like everybody knows you and your business, Mayberry kind of stuff)

This seems just about perfect for us, like it's too good to be true. I want to be sure it's not the girl of my dreams who then turns out to be a dude or something. I guess the only reason more people aren't moving there is because of lack of jobs and not anything else?

Another concern I have is what looks like it might be a lack of options for organic/health grocery stores. It looks like there's oryana and a couple of very small places and that's it. It's nice to have options like wegmans, whole foods, trader joes, fresh market, etc. as well.

Last edited by Green Guy; 01-11-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Awesome, Traverse City sounds great!

Cold, gray, snowy winters: I grew up between Cleveland and Buffalo on Lake Erie. I know the deal.

Do you guys feel like it's isolating being up there? Or maybe that it's too much of a small-town feel (like everybody knows you and your business, Mayberry kind of stuff)

This seems just about perfect for us, like it's too good to be true. I want to be sure it's not the girl of my dreams who then turns out to be a dude or something. I guess the only reason more people aren't moving there is because of lack of jobs and not anything else?
Traverse city is not really a "small town" We live 20 minutes away in Honor...and THAT is a small town! lol
TC is growing rapidly, and there is always something going on. To me it does not have a small town feel at all. Yes, most jobs depend on tourism, but right now there is a ton of hiring going on. We don't want a ton of factory type jobs up here anyways, so to me things are just fine the way they are.
I myself do not feel isolated at all. Like I said, TC has everything you need and more, and always buzzing with excitement. We are 20 minutes from TC and 15 minutes to Lake Michigan, so there is ALWAYS something to do up here.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:

Yes that's a drawback, however the bay region is home to numerous winter resorts, and winter sports are a big deal up there so if you're into those things that helps.

Quote:
It is somewhat isolated with the nearest metro area being 2hrs away, however the immediate city that Traverse is in, is an urbanized area of over 60,000 people. Traverse City itself is only 8sq mi and 15k people, which is only a small part of it. I assume the reason it remains a micropolitan area, and hasn't been designated a metropolitan area has to do with it not having a core city of a certain population. (I believe metro areas have to have a core city with 30k pop.) Even so with it's airport being busier than regions with 2-3 times as many people, and it's retail offerings, I have a hard time thinking it would feel like Mayberry. Truly that depends on your own definition of small. But how many cities of 15k people do you know that have Mercedes and Beamer dealerships?

This is an aerial shot of downtown maybe to give you some idea.

Quote:
Grand Traverse County, according to population estimates has grown at a rate of 3.4% (strongest rate in the state) since 2010 which outpaces the national average by more than a percentage point. The largely rural counties around it aren't growing as fast but that's a national trend. The population gain in the area has been steadily gaining momentum since the 90's. Given the current state of the economy I would only expect that momentum to build. It's an attractive place to live for multiple reasons.

In terms of jobs, the unemployment rate for the county is 4.3%(November) which is ahead of both the state and national numbers. Under 5% unemployment is an indicator that there are jobs available that aren't being filled. It's a smaller area so there aren't as many jobs per se, but that doesn't mean there aren't jobs available. The economy in the area is strong and it's evident with all the construction of condo's and apartments and new retail setting up shop.

Quote:
Another concern I have is what looks like it might be a lack of options for organic/health grocery stores. It looks like there's oryana and a couple of very small places and that's it. It's nice to have options like wegmans, whole foods, trader joes, fresh market, etc. as well.
Michigan is an under served market for the big brand organic stores. Keep in mind that these companies were rapidly expanding their brands from 2000-2010 when Michigan was going through a decade long recession and was not considered favorable. The only place you will find them is in the Detroit area and a couple of outstate markets. With that said there are plans in the works for them to expand into other parts of the state, along with some lesser known stores. This could be a problem for you as the area would only be served by local entrepreneurs at this point.

Ultimately the answers to your questions are dependent on you, all of the things you have laid out are subjective and defined differently by different people. Whether you think it's the prettiest girl in the world, or just a well done drag queen comes down to your preferences, impressions, and opinions. There is no such thing as the perfect place, but that doesn't mean you can't come close. You really need to see for yourself

Last edited by mjlo; 01-11-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 AM

223 posts, read 315,046 times
Sounds good to me. Seems like my kind of place. It's now at the top of the list. We'll go check it out in the spring.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Seems like my kind of place. It's now at the top of the list. We'll go check it out in the spring.
Just don't let the Winter get you down because there is a TON to do. We have lots of ski hills, snowmobiling is huge up this way, hiking near Lake Michigan is amazing in Summer and Winter, so just a ton to help pass the cold grey months of Winter. If you like craft beer and wine, you will LOVE it around here. Breweries and wineries are everywhere, and they are all awesome! There is a small town just 15 minutes from TC called Interlochen, and they have some big name concerts usually all Summer long. If you like to get out and about, you will never be bored up here. I also work from home, but sometimes it kinda sucks because I just wanna get out and explore, where if I had a 9-5 job elsewhere...I know I am stuck at work...lol

Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
I would agree that Traverse City is a gem in the Midwest and a good contender. I would compare it to Asheville North Carolina, with not quite as many breweries.

It's a bit more "progressive" due to residents concerns about their natural scenery being taken away. There are a of land use activists in that region, and a fight with Meijer corporate trying to build a new development a few years ago seemed to cauterize. Like Portland's fight against the logging companies back in the 1970's and 80's drew a lot of activists and grew its progressive community. Michael Moore lives full time there now and started a film festival after renovating the downtown State Theater. He's well liked in his older less rabble rousing days.

You won't find a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's anywhere North of Oakland County outside of Detroit, a good 2.5 hour drive (longer in the Summer). I-75 between Detroit and "up north" in the Summer is a parking lot on weekends.

There's a large "cottage industry" in that area due to summer homes on the bay, Lake Michigan and many of the inland lakes. Torch Lake for instance is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world and has over 14,000 (mostly summertime) residents on it. I can't even imagine how many people live on the two bays and the peninsula. Most of those people close up their cottages in the winter though.

It's been ranked one of the best places to retire quite a few times, and a host of other best of lists. I would move there but in the line of work that I'm in, I need to be in a more populated area with a bit more "industry."

It's nice in the winter to visit too. Lots of skiing (Boyne, Shuss Mountain, Shanty Creek).

Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Just read this today.
New Natural Foods Grocery Headed To Traverse City : News : The Ticker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan