Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,076 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen any threads talking about this area. What's it like to live there? Shopping? (I love ikea lol) Crime? Access to freeway? Not so concerned about schools, we don't have any children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Not much crime. some shopping, and not too far from Ann arbor and Novi (both big shopping places).

Canton is basically urban sprawl. Nice newer subdivisions and strip malls. Very good schools. Lots of trees. For some reason that I do not entirely understand Canton has some of the worst traffic around, especially on Ford Road. No real downtown. Basically a group of nicer subdivisions and some businesses along Ford road.

If you want a town, look at Plymouth or Northville in the same general area. If you are just looking for subdivision living, Canton is as nice as anywhere else in that area.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,550 times
Thumbs up I loved it there

I lived out at Canton for 8 years before moving out of State a few months ago. I still miss the place. Canton has a great location, nice restaurants and best of all, all stores in and around the Ford Road area.Schools are good as well. although they've lost some of their performance over the last decade. The people are very friendly and you'll love it there.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM

52 posts, read 292,510 times
Currently I live in Canton. I agree with the previous posters, Canton is a nice place to live. Also, there is a ton of forclosed homes here too, if you're looking to buy, you can get a great deal. We may be moving soon due to being unable to find employment. I will miss Canton though, a great place to raise children.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM

83 posts, read 387,756 times
I agree with everything posted above. Just keep an eye on schooling if you have kids. I believe they have 3 different school system there (which someone told me is changing again). Probably want to shoot for Plymouth Canton school district. Wayne westland wouldn't be too bad but you would have to look into performance.

And the traffic does suck. Anytime of day too. Used to work out there and the traffic on Ford road is horrible. At least since they fixed the intersection near Ikea the cars don't seem to back up onto the freeway anymore.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM

47 posts, read 152,152 times
Default Lived there for 13 years, till a few months ago.

We loved and always will love Canton, a great place to raise kids, great shopping, movie places, any store that you want, the traffic is a little heavy but where can you go without hitting traffic? If we were to move back, we go back to Canton. The library is great for free movies and great books. The Summet is a cool place to go and workout and take classes. IKEA.
If you buy just north of Cherry hill, Michigan ave. is just down the street and 275 as well.
I am sure that you can get a good deal on any home right now.
Miss that place.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,504 times
Good location in respect to freeways. I275 is right there off Ford rd. if you take that north you can go right to 94 or you can take is south you can go to 96/M14. it's a good neighborhood, nice and clean. its by Plymouth which has a nice little downtown area. it doesn't have much for shopping except ikea and walmart (which can bring in some lower class people) but all in all i would definitely say that i would live there.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 AM

447 posts, read 1,246,596 times
My impression after driving through twice in the fall was that expressed by my daughter when she said, "Dad, all the houses are brown brick and all look alike. How do people know which one is theirs?"

Combime that with a Ford in every driveway and it looks a little "Stepford Wives" or "Desperate Housewives" in nature. I'm sure it's a great place to live, but appears to this outsider to be very whitebread and sterile.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,558,819 times
Actually has a pretty large number of non-whitebread -- a lot of asian and Indian/Pakistani people in the area. They're building a temple (I don't think its a mosque) on Shelden Road.

Its definitely suburban - but its a nice area. Not far from anything, has a great rec department. The safety is pretty good, and plenty of nice restaurants and shopping.

All in all a very decent place to live.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 AM

999 posts, read 4,529,723 times
Quote:
Good location in respect to freeways. I275 is right there off Ford rd. if you take that north you can go right to 94 or you can take is south you can go to 96/M14.
You sure about that?

Quote:
My impression after driving through twice in the fall was that expressed by my daughter when she said, "Dad, all the houses are brown brick and all look alike. How do people know which one is theirs?"

Combime that with a Ford in every driveway and it looks a little "Stepford Wives" or "Desperate Housewives" in nature. I'm sure it's a great place to live, but appears to this outsider to be very whitebread and sterile.
Canton went up in a hurry. Lots of the same model of house to keep costs down and production speed up. If you don't like that there are plenty of nearby areas with more custom homes on bigger lots for more money.

But the other posters are correct, it's a good place to live and raise a family if you don't mind living in an outer ring suburb. If you want architectural uniqueness, you can get a great deal on a victorian in Detroit. However the Ford in the driveway will likely have the wheels and radio missing, the strip malls will be strip clubs and the lack of diversity you call whitebread will be still be a lack of diversity, but 180 degrees in the other direction. Canton is a LOT more diverse than Detroit.

Plymouth-Canton and Plymouth-Salem are probably the best public schools in the area unless you want to go a little farther out to Ann Arbor. That's generally why families don't mind living in tract homes and shopping at strip malls: the education and way of life for their kids. Priorities, priorities......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan